JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
is it even possible? I do a lot of work in Oregon and with the way things are going might have to start carrying. However, I am a WA resident and saw that OR does not allow out of state CCL. Has any WA resident gotten an OR one?

thanks

Yes, I have my WA resident CPL and got an OR non-resident through Columbia County. The Sheriff used to offer them at the WAC show in Puyallup, he's (Sheriff Jeff Dickinson) is very pro 2A.

Yes, I have my WA resident CPL and got an OR non-resident through Columbia County. The Sheriff used to offer them at the WAC show in Puyallup, he's (Sheriff Jeff Dickinson) is very pro 2A.

so how does that work? is it pretty easy to get? What about the gun, can you cross state lines with your WA gun?

tia

so how does that work? is it pretty easy to get? What about the gun, can you cross state lines with your WA gun?

tia
You'll need proof of firearms training to get a CPL in OR. I used my old DD-214 from the military and commission card when I was an LEO to bypass the training piece. I usually carry my G19 or G26 but it's whatever I'm carrying that day that I take. Hope that helps.

Another thing to consider, as a non-resident, is that most applications will ask why you want a CHL for that county. Family, owning property, or work etc., are all valid reasons. I have know idea how hard the various Sheriff's look at that info but something to keep in mind.

What you need to understand is that OR is may issue for non residents, but only for those who live in an adjacent state, ie CA, NV, ID & WA. Everyone else is SOL. Since it appears that you are in WA, you are eligible. Next you need to locate an OR Sheriff that will issue to non residents. Not all will. Most, if not all, Sheriffs require a compelling reason letter. Some sheriffs will accept almost any reason, others require that you either own property or a business or have a business interest or family in the county. It depends on how pro 2A the Sheriff is. In all cases you have to meet OR training requirements, which is not that hard to do. I would start with the Sheriffs where you are doing work in OR. Depending on your results, you may want to consider Grant County, which has one of the most pro 2A sheriffs. For an original CHL, you will need to make an appointment and personally appear to be printed and photographed. Hope this helps.

What you need to understand is that OR is may issue for non residents, but only for those who live in an adjacent state, ie CA, NV, ID & WA. Everyone else is SOL. Since it appears that you are in WA, you are eligible. Next you need to locate an OR Sheriff that will issue to non residents. Not all will. Most, if not all, Sheriffs require a compelling reason letter. Some sheriffs will accept almost any reason, others require that you either own property or a business or have a business interest or family in the county. It depends on how pro 2A the Sheriff is. In all cases you have to meet OR training requirements, which is not that hard to do. I would start with the Sheriffs where you are doing work in OR. Depending on your results, you may want to consider Grant County, which has one of the most pro 2A sheriffs. For an original CHL, you will need to make an appointment and personally appear to be printed and photographed. Hope this helps.
I work all over oregon. Should I go with a friendly 2a sheriff like Columbia county or just any that will issue like Multnomah?

I'd try a 2A sheriff 1st, then see if you can get in and how long the wait is. I did 30yrs in Oregon, 99% of that time living in Washington county, before moving to the Couv. About 8 months ago.

I went to Washington County to get my non res. CHL. Figured they already knew me for the past 25yrs. It proved to be hassle free.

I got mine about 6 years ago via Multnomah county.

At the time I worked in Portland, had family in multiple locations and owned property in Klamath County.... I dont recall them asking for proof or details on any of it. there was a line on the application asking why you needed a permit in OR. But again, no one ever looked into it or asked for proof of property ownership or proof that I worked in Oregon.

Renewal was a breeze too.

I have an appt. with Columbia County Sheriff in Sept. I made the appt. about 2 months ago and that was the earliest available at the time. Not sure if they've opened up days or not but if you're planning on using Columbia, you might hop to it. They have been cancelling their monthly walk-ins at both the Sheriff's office and the Clatskanie PD sub-station. Next one available for walk-in is Oct 24th, but just last week the Sept 25th was still open and today it's cancelled. Current Columbia County Sheriff is Brian Pixley and I have no idea how 2A friendly he is.

Also, seems each Sheriff has different requirements so make sure you get that lined out as well. For instance Columbia County states "Washington residents may qualify for CHL through Columbia County if they regularly travel to or through our county", and Clatsop County Sheriff only accepts WA applications from Pacific/Wahkiakum counties and Grays Harbor. Not sure if others have similar requirements.

https://sheriff.columbiacountyor.gov/ConcealedHandgunLicensing

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top