JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wolfenstein, CoD killingzombies....Borderlands 1 &2 BF 1942 and BF Secret Weapons, Fall Out series, trying to get into Bioshock but not feeling it yet. Refuse to get PS4 or XBox one so when the 360 dies, I'll have a couple hours more here and there.:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

Lots of good shooters mentioned already. But here are the ones I've probably spent the most time playing and/or running servers for, both online and for LAN parties (in roughly chronological order):

Half-Life Deathmatch
Team Fortress Classic (HL mod)
Counter-Strike (HL mod)
Jedi-Knight
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Battlefield 2 (+ Special Force and POE mods)
Battlefield 3
(Got frustrated with BF franchise after they eliminated support for dedicated LAN servers and community mapping/mod support)
Planetside 2

[Most recent and sometimes running dedicatedservers for]

7 Days to Die: Zombie survival/crafting game, like minecraft but with better graphics. (Server up 24/7)

Contagion: Objective mode game like Left For Dead, but slower zombies and weapons/ammo is much more scarce, so make your shots count with headshots, or you'll quickly be using only melee weapons, if you can find them. Fun to play with people who want to work together as a team, cover each other, share ammo that doesn't fit whatever guns they're using, etc. (Server up, as friends want to play, and sometimes leave it up for long periods of time)

No More Room in Hell: Similar to Contagion, but maybe less maps so far, but also free. (Server up, as friends want to play)

Squad: Still in pre-release, but made by the team that created the "Project Reality" mod for BF2, but done from scratch as a stand-alone game. Focusses on teamwork (e.g. if you join a squad, you have a variety of options for weapon kits, but only a certain number on each squad, but if you're a loan wolf player, you only get to be a generic rifleman) and going for a bit more realism (e.g. as much as I loved BF2, you could sometimes jump around like a rabbit and take a full magazine at near point-blank range and maybe somehow survive, but with Squad, you actually die much more quickly, or if you don't but you're hit, you might bleed out, unless you dress your wounds), has a minimal HUD (you don't know exactly how much health you have left, or exactly how many bullets you have left in each mag), more realistic bullet drop, cammo that seems to work a little better, squad leaders can create FOBs that are team spawn points, and if you upgrade them and keep the "supply lines" clear of enemies, will allow for resupplying our team, plus you can also deploy rally points that server as squad only spawn points that have a limited number of uses. Also has some nice in-game voice features like "squad only," "everyone in the local area" (like shouting out loud to others, even if not on your squad), and a Squad Leaders only channel. Like I said, this is still an early-access game, but they already have dedicated server support and invite community map/mod support (the things that annoyed me above BF when they stopped support for those things), so I liked the idea of it and wanted to support it, but I went ahead and bought it for $40. Not something I'd normally do for an early-access game, but I'm hoping it does well and grows to all that it could become. I know they're already ready to release support for vehicles (or may have just done so, it's updating now) and they plan to have some kind of command option like in BF2, so I REALLY hope it keeps moving forward. :) (Server up, as friends want to play)

Anyway, there might be more, but those are the ones that come to mind. :)

Small wonder, with how some people will jump down your throat at the slightest deviation from "their tastes"--you might have seen some of the crap I've taken over my involvement with tabletop wargaming both as a customer and making my modest living as a historical consultant to a game publisher.

You would absolutely love it if you were here! My older son is the manager of a comic book and game store where they have table-top war-gaming in the store. He never gets home before 1 a.m. on Thursday nights! :) He and my daughter-in-law were made for each other as they both are avid gamers.

Someone mentioned RPGs: Those actually are my favorites. I have nearly 600 hours logged in Skyrim.

AND, I appreciate the kudos on creating this thread. I'm glad it's gotten the attention it has. :)

I cut my teeth on wargaming starting at 10, Avalon Hill games like Jutland, Gettysburg, lots of SPI games, the magazine version of Waterloo I actually beat my brother (10 years older) when I was about 13 as Napoleon at Waterloo! One of the few times I ever beat him. He also taught me chess. Played Luftwaffe a bunch, Red Star Falling, Falklands, Panzertruppe, Stalingrad, never got in to Squadleader too much and sold the game for good money on Ebay. Did 25mm colonials, Sword & the Flame, RPG WH was terrific also WFB. I used to paint for two hours almost every morning before work....talk about arms race. if it wasn't painted, it didn't fight. Our gaming group painted up hundreds of figures and played monthly for a number of years. Christmas vacation we'd have an epic battle, several hundred figures aside. Usually went about 10-12 hours. Made really good money selling my unpainted figures when I needed the money, all told probably about ten large over two years, I had lots of rare ones from England (Citadel & GW). Good times.

Brutus Out

I'm a huge FarCry fan.
FarCry 3 was good
FarCry 4 was amazing
FarCry 5 Primal is just as amazing as 4 but at a whole different level.

I think FarCry 4 is the best of the bunch, but still find myself running through the primal world of FarCry 5 with cavemen, saber tooth tigers, etc using only spears and bows made from items gathered in a beautiful prehistoric open world environment.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

I had forgotten the name but my wife and friends and I played the daylights out of that game!

It got a lot of traction and then just petered out...

That was the free to play downloadable online game?

Was just talking about it the other day if it is - so much fun!!!

I think you are also the first to mention the Half-Life series which was amazing as well;)

I'm not really into "Shooter" games.
But I do like to dust off and play either Panzer General or Panzer Front at times.
Darkstone will get a work out as well.
Edit for "pre coffee typing ..."
Andy

Last Edited:
Someone mentioned RPGs: Those actually are my favorites. I have nearly 600 hours logged in Skyrim

Let's do a separate Thread for the RPG's - they have been around longer and more of them probably. I had years (logged not played) on a couple of my WoW characters unfortunately. At the time it was a good way to pass the time while on call for work.

I play call of Duty but my nephews are all better than me now so it's time to hang it up. I enjoy Contra on the original NES. I actually collect a lot of old Nintendo games.

Last Edited:
Confession: I bashed on Pokémon Go when it started but my wife and daughter got me hooked... They also got my 60 year old Father into it this past weekend. Unfortunately no guns are involved and playing hasn't lead me to find any hidden treasures in an empty field (yet) but the fun continues.

Last Edited:
Confession: I bashed on Pokémon Go when it started but my wife and daughter got me hooked... They Lso got my 60 year old Father into it this past weekend.

Nothing wrong with that at all, there are always idiots that give everyone a bad name (the thing is catching like wild fire so I'm stubbornly avoiding it) - unless your an in game item buyer and that about ruined my parents relationship and retirement fund:( seriously unfortunately...

I play call of Duty but my nephews are all better than me now so it's time to hang it up. I enjoy Contract on the original NES. I actually collect a lot of old Nintendo games.

I found that during school season, the best time to play COD or the like is about 5am or so till 10am when the hard core gamers are asleep and the kids are at school lol. My scores go from the top 3 in every game down to "why do I even play this gameo_O:eek:".

Speaking of NES, did anyone see the new one coming out in November?

It's a stand alone console for about $60 and has a TON of original NES games preloaded on it. I think I'll want one for sure - just not duck hunt unfortunately:(.

And no more blowing on games and beating on consoles to get the thing to load lol:rolleyes:.

Confession: I bashed on Pokémon Go when it started but my wife and daughter got me hooked... They Lso got my 60 year old Father into it this past weekend.

With ten grandkids, and a son and d-i-l playing Pokemon GO!, I had to get in on it, too. I'm almost level 18. And, we have a very active area in downtown Woodstock that I spend some time walking around after work.

With ten grandkids, and a son and d-i-l playing Pokemon GO!, I had to get in on it, too. I'm almost level 18. And, we have a very active area in downtown Woodstock that I spend some time walking around after work.
Thanks for the suggestion! Glad im not the only one willing to confess on here. Others on here have bashed Pokemon Go gamers so I chose to avoid fire in those threads. We went to Laurel Hurst park last weekend and that was an awesome spot. I work downtown Portland right off the river so I can get pretty spoiled with stops and pokemon . Only been playing 2 weeks and I'm level 19, almost 20.

Only been playing 2 weeks and I'm level 19, almost 20

Wow! Not 100% sure but my wife has been playing maybe a month and last I heard (maybe last I listened) she was 12 or something. My kid was 20 something at the time.

Others on here have bashed Pokemon Go gamers so I chose to avoid fire in those threads

Yea, sometimes the good ol'boys club has a hard time with new stuff;).

I'm an avid anime fan and don't even bother trying to justify it on this board:D.

Wow! Not 100% sure but my wife has been playing maybe a month and last I heard (maybe last I listened) she was 12 or something. My kid was 20 something at the time.
Ha, me too. Happy wife = happy life for me. She gets me into all of these things. We are all caught up with Naruto but watch many others too. I used to watch Dragon Ball before it became famous in the US. Dang mam, it's like we are long lost friends haha.

Yea, sometimes the good ol'boys club has a hard time with new stuff;).

I'm an avid anime fan and don't even bother trying to justify it on this board:D.

Confession: I bashed on Pokémon Go when it started but my wife and daughter got me hooked... They also got my 60 year old Father into it this past weekend. Unfortunately no guns are involved and playing hasn't lead me to find any hidden treasures in an empty field (yet) but the fun continues.
Then maybe you should check out Hitman Go, get them hooked on it in reply. Too bad the only HM-verse character you ever get to play is our bald barcode-tatted buddy Mr. 47...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top