JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Someone told me today (prefaced it with saying he was a Marine "sniper" in Vietnam - no clue if he is or not...) that if you get a rifle, you put your finger by the trigger guard and if it balances on your finger you won't get recoil.

He said that on his hunting rifle, if he bought one with a barrel that was 3/4" longer it wouldn't balance and would have more recoil....

Quite honestly... this sounds like the biggest load of bull I have ever heard.... but I am willing to be proved wrong!!!

+1 If some of the first words out of their mouth were "I was a Marine sniper in Vietnam", they probably weren't. Don't know who you talked to. Just sayin'. I smell BS.

I agree 110%. On AR15.com they call them "Space Shuttle Machine Gunners"... :D

I've read so many things from other gun owners online about people that say they are/were in the .mil or a LEO and don't know how to use a gun :(

On the flip side, I stopped at Bi-Mart today and the guy who came over to check my idea was like ".22? You should buy a real gun sometime" - I said I had real guns, but until he could sell me 525 rounds of 5.56 or .308 for $16 I would be buying some more .22. He laughed and said he had an Bushmaster AR15, but didn't shoot it much because he got tired of hauling the M16 around Vietnam. He said he prefers shooting his M1 Garand. I said I wanted a M1 someday... He said to come by some day other than Black Friday and he would give me more info about where he bought his, etc. So that was cool.

I believe the Bi-Mart guy about being in Vietnam more than "Mr. Balance"

The people I've met who've actually done things like that rarely mention it.

+1. My Dad has a purple heart and bronze star from WWII - Normandy to Belgium. He won't talk about it unless pressed. He sure won't be the first to mention it. Heck, I had to gather up his medals and other memorabilia and have them framed myself. Even then he moved them down the hall out of sight of the living room.

But I'll mention it because I'm proud of and thankful for what he did. :)

+1. My Dad has a purple heart and bronze star from WWII - Normandy to Belgium. He won't talk about it unless pressed. He sure won't be the first to mention it. Heck, I had to gather up his medals and other memorabilia and have them framed myself. Even then he moved them down the hall out of sight of the living room.

But I'll mention it because I'm proud of and thankful for what he did. :)

+2

Like most of you have already mentioned weapon weight helps reduces felt recoil, adding a muzzle break will help too and the using ammo (loaded) for what your going to do. Most "snipers" handload thier own ammo.

My dad also wouldnt talk about what he did for the 6 yrs he spent in NAM, and when I was about 11 or 12 i came home from school and found him burning his uniform, medals and anything from his time there. But as I got older and started to understand what and why he was teaching me. Till the day he died (1-1/2 yr ago) he still had flashbacks and would talk in his sleep.

Not to thread jack but my dad never talked about ww2 until I joined the service. I didnt even know he was in. He or mom never said a word. He still wont talk about it but will just say he was in the navy. It is kind of sad. These guys are herosand shaped America. Theydeserve respect. Most times you can tell who is not telling the truth.

I'm not going to front like I know anything about war, but from what I've read and heard the people who were in WW2 and Vietnam did and saw things that no person should ever witness, and that pretty much goes for any war. They already have enough trouble getting those images out of their minds, and when people even family talk about it the images become more vivid.
Another problem was service men from Vietnam have been experiencing more falshbacks and a higher suicie rate because most of them have been busy working and keeping themselves busy, but more recently a lot of them have reached that retirement age and are at home more, watching TV and new images of war have made their experiences resurface.
My dad wasn't in war but he worked for the "agency" he doesn't talk about it and when asked just makes jokes to change the subject. To my knowledge he worked in the tech side, fixing communications systems. But now he's withdrawn and lives in the middle of nowhere talking about the aliens trying to get him. It's pretty sad really. I can't even hold a regular conversation with him. And sadly he never asks about how my life is going. But he's still dad, through good and bad.

My step dad was in the Navy and just this Thanksgiving he told me about him being stationed in the middle east and was held hostage by terrorist. Him and a large group of servicemen and Americans. Who knew!
I would love to know what they have been through what they have done, but I dare not ask.

Most "snipers" handload thier own ammo.

Not so, Sir, military snipers, and there are no other kind of sniper, do not load their own ammunition.

The former Lake City Arsenal Match M118 175gr ammunition was issued to the 7.62x51 snipers in both the Army and USMC.

Also, please note that the US military also finalised a $47M deal with Winchester-Olin for .300 Win Mag sniping ammunition. - see -

TK subsidiary Federal Cartridge Co. in Anoka, MN received a $49.9 million firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/ indefinite-quantity contract for .300 Winchester magnum ammunition. Maximum quantity is 80,100 boxes of 480 rounds each, minimum is 117 boxes. This ammunition will be used by U.S. forces engaged in combat, and by the US Navy in Match Team competition.

300 Winchester offers longer range, better accuracy, and more hitting power than standard NATO 7.62×51 mm rounds. The MK248 MOD 1 cartridge grew out of the .300 Winchester Magnum Product Improvement Program…

M24 sniper system
The .300 Win Mag PIP [PDF] aimed to improve the cartridge’s range from 1,200 yards to 1,500 yards, decrease the effects of wind on bullets in flight, and offer a reduced flash propellant that remained stable at temperatures from -25F to 165F.

The .300 Win Mag cartridge is already in wide production for competition use. As one might expect, Winchester 300 Magnum ammunition is equally popular with law enforcement specialty teams, and sport hunters like it, too. That popularity helps .300 Win Mag rounds offer considerable cost savings over the larger .338 Lapua round favored by other sniper systems like Britain’s L115A3. The other advantage is that the MK248 MOD 1 can be fired by snipers in the field armed with existing rifles.

D.E. Watters of The Gun Zone adds that .300 Win Mag is used in the Mk13 sniper rifle, another Remington 700 long receiver derivative that’s assembled from parts at NSWC Crane. The most recent version is the Mk13 MOD 5, which allows the use of the same sound suppressor as the Knight’s Armament Company SR-25/MK11 sniper rifle.

Meanwhile, there is movement within the Army to modify their Remington 700 derived M24 sniper system to .300 Win Mag, starting with individual units. Some Special Forces units have already made this conversion. The concept of wider .300 Win Mag conversions is now being explored by Picatinny Arsenal.

Work on this order will be performed in Anoka, MN, and will run until June 2014. Contract funds in the amount of $1.3 million will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This contract was competitively procured with multiple proposals solicited via the Federal Business Opportunities website. One offer was received by The Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division in Crane, IN (N0016409-D-JQ56). See also FBO solicitation.

tac

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top