JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My buddy and I are getting into trapping, studying to take the test now. Any body here at NWFA do any trapping? I'd love to chat about it! (I might be interested in buying some used traps and gear if someone has some for sale too!)

In most cases....you'll need a furbearers license and any appropriate tags. Some animals are "open season"..but you still must have the furtakers license in most cases.

The license is available from ODFW and you'll have to take a homestudy course (all booklets supplied by ODFW) and then take the test (multiple choice) at a regional ODFW office. Upon passing it you then can apply for your license. If you actually read all the material and pay attention to the "rules and regs" part....it's pretty simple. IF you know nothing about trapping and Oregon rules....you won't pass.

Once you have your license you will be assigned a permanent ID number. This number must be stamped...branded is the term they use....onto all your traps. You also must complete a harvest report and send this into the Salem office, Failure to send it in bans you from getting the next season's license.

Basically the test makes sure you understand the laws regarding trap sizes, seasons, and other users rights/interactions. You won't really learn anything of value in terms of setting for specific animals or the correct skinning of the animals ....but they do give you some really basic info. Mostly...it's so you can stay legal and ethical.

In most cases....you'll need a furbearers license and any appropriate tags. Some animals are "open season"..but you still must have the furtakers license in most cases.

The license is available from ODFW and you'll have to take a homestudy course (all booklets supplied by ODFW) and then take the test (multiple choice) at a regional ODFW office. Upon passing it you then can apply for your license. If you actually read all the material and pay attention to the "rules and regs" part....it's pretty simple. IF you know nothing about trapping and Oregon rules....you won't pass.

Once you have your license you will be assigned a permanent ID number. This number must be stamped...branded is the term they use....onto all your traps. You also must complete a harvest report and send this into the Salem office, Failure to send it in bans you from getting the next season's license.

Basically the test makes sure you understand the laws regarding trap sizes, seasons, and other users rights/interactions. You won't really learn anything of value in terms of setting for specific animals or the correct skinning of the animals ....but they do give you some really basic info. Mostly...it's so you can stay legal and ethical.

Thank you kindly!!! :s0155:

My cousin and his boys trap. They love it and they have some pretty nice pelts in their collection.

Our great great grandfather was a federal trapper/hunter for the Dept. of Interior, mostly wolves, which were then a major problem for ranchers.

Trapping is a great, old fashioned skill that few people have these days and it's nice to see that a few people out there are still keeping it alive.

I'm a die hard trapper....been at it for about 35 years. If you want to learn LOADS about trapping.....check out www.trapperman.com . It's a nice freindly forum. You can find me hanging out there under the same screen name.

Check out my website for some beaver catch pictures. www.tlclures.co.nr

hey! Tastes like Chicken ya I just found trapperman the other day just joined there same user name also look forward to future conversations on either board.

have box of 45 traps,will sell for $150,will send pics if interested

My buddy 78crewcab pm'ed you, between he or I we will likely check these traps out and buy them from ya. Thanks for posting them!

If anybody else out there has leg traps, conibears (body grabbers), snares, trappers wax, dye, stakes, animal control poles, etc. for sale, please post em up here!:s0155:

Also, if anyone has any problem animals they need removed (coyote, bobcat, fox, raccoons, possums, beaver, neutrea, etc. please post that here as well. If you are fairly close to me and my buddy, we might be able to come out to trap and remove them for ya!

78....be real careful. What you are offering is illegal or potentially so.

Your furtakers license has some specific rules and guidelines. If you are ADC licensed....you already know these regs and please excuse me for putting this all on......but figured since some may not know this info...I"ll post it.

1.... you can't LEGALLY trap in city limits without a specific ADC license
2...you can't LEGALLY relocate animals except by ODFWs specific guidelines unless relocation is on your own property.

Your furtakers license has some specific rules and guidelines. If you are ADC licensed....you already know these regs and please excuse me for putting this all on......but figured since some may not know this info...I"ll post it.

2...you can't LEGALLY relocate animals except by ODFWs specific guidelines unless relocation is on your own property.

good info

we do have live traps for relocation problems or city limits were you cant shoot them.

Very good info, thanks for the heads up! I believe 78 was just thinking of folks who may not want to see the animal be put down, but needed a problem animal taken care of. Definitely good to stay out of the city though. Thanks again!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top