JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a member of many gun sites and I've never seen as many people always looking to offer a trade on a gun for sale as this site. Is this a regional thing, socioeconomic thing, or something else? Just curious.

I think a lot of it comes down to money. Most people I work with can't afford to spend a few hundred on anything, so trading something you don't want for something you do with as little cash changing hands as possible is an attractive option from their perspective

I could also suggest that since so many ads have trade options listed and other offers given, it's just a site norm and people would feel weird about posting an ad with no trade options?

I think a lot of it comes down to money.

I think this is spot on. I've treated my interest like many other hobbies that revolve around objects or gear. Playing with all of the cool toys is a lot of fun and often the fun runs out of each toy after a while. Instead of spending more money one can put it out for trade and see if something "new and exciting" is offered.
Before the background check BS, trading was an easy way to explore new firearms. Now it's more complicated and expensive, which means I don't play as much as I used to, but it's still a viable option.
I once had a valuable rifle package up for sale at well below market value and was getting no bites. I found something at a fair price that was listed WTS/WTT. I offered up my rifle thinking I would be able to sell the other gun in less time. The trade was made. I ended up with a handgun that I liked so much I kept it and sold a bunch of others.

Another possibility is that this site started out very small and local. Most of the members were within a reasonable meet-up distance from each other.

Even though I could afford to buy more guns outright I prefer to trade. My goal is to keep an even financial keel within my firearm transactions rather than pumping additional money into them and amassing more firearms than I or my descendants will ever use for self defense or sporting purposes.

I also think it has to do with most of us being close distance wise. Its a lot easier to trade somebody when you have an opportunity to inspect and meet the person instead of shipping it across the country hoping what you in return was good and as described.

Budget mattters, sometimes circumstances change and it can be fun, so why not?

Barter preceded money. I remember back in my Paleolithic days when I traded Oog two perfect birdstones for a spear. ;)

I don't mind trading. Most times it never works out, so I save and buy what I want.
As an example, I have a G4 G21SF with Big Dot sights. Maybe 150rnds fired total.
I don't care for it. Wouldn't sell it, they're a dime/dozen. But a trade, I may consider.

I usually break down and look for trades on items I can not seem to sell for anywhere near a respectable price.

IE I can't, for the life of me, find a buyer for a pistol I want to sell. So instead of pissing money away trying to sell it at a reduced price, I'll poke around seeing if anyone would rather trade something for it.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

If you have an item for sale and someone asks if you want trades, and you don't.

Just ignore it.

No harm no foul.

I think a lot of it comes down to money.
I agree. whenever I put a gun up for sale I always include trade offers welcomed - as I do with anything I sell. Ya never know what someone might be willing to give up - and it could be worth much more than the item I am selling.
I learned another neat trick a long time ago. Lets say you are selling something and the buyer makes you an offer you had probably decided previously you would take if someone made it.
Well, don't say 'OK' right away but hesitate and then say, 'Well, Ok, I'll take it but what do you have to toss in just to help me out here, just anything'
Well, you know the person already wants what you are selling so let them offer something - anything.
I once got a Dan Wesson .357 on top of an offer I took for a boat I sold!

If your not open to Trades, state it in your WTS add! Simple!
Those who reply with a trade offer you simply ignore!

BTW, there are a ton of folks here who are only members for the classifieds and don't hang out in the discussion threads, so many are not "up to speed" on what's going on with adds!

Lastly, might seriously consider becoming a supporting member as it not only helps keep this sight running, which provides you a place to sell, but it also affords the benefits of bumping your adds more often, and gives other preferences! Have a look at the supporting member benefits and see how that can help you!:)

I customize nearly all of my guns, so no one wants them, anyway... :p

I've considered selling my Glock G35 match pistol since I really have no use for it, but I doubt anyone wants something this hideous...

ZUmIszKDQkamP8ddhfOgAA.jpg

I doubt anyone wants something this hideous...
This is NOT that bad (kinda tasteful actually) - there is MUCH worse out there. Take a look at some of the Henry 'Tribute' rifles. Hey Some of the Winchester Commemoratives were a bit 'gaudy' but nothing like some of them!

This is NOT that bad (kinda tasteful actually) - there is MUCH worse out there. Take a look at some of the Henry 'Tribute' rifles. Hey Some of the Winchester Commemoratives were a bit 'gaudy' but nothing like some of them!
And who could forget the Ruger Canoe Paddles?:eek:
Now those are UGLY as sin, and not very good canoe paddles ether!;)

BTW, there are a ton of folks here who are only members for the classifieds and don't hang out in the discussion threads, so many are not "up to speed" on what's going on with adds!

Lastly, might seriously consider becoming a supporting member as it not only helps keep this sight running, which provides you a place to sell, but it also affords the benefits of bumping your adds more often, and gives other preferences! Have a look at the supporting member benefits and see how that can help you!:)

This is almost 100% my situation. I became a low level supporter out of respect for the moderators and owner of the site. Next year I may increase my contribution.

I'm a member of many gun sites and I've never seen as many people always looking to offer a trade on a gun for sale as this site. Is this a regional thing, socioeconomic thing, or something else? Just curious.
I was trying to sell my pickup on cl a ways back and some dude wanted to trade me beef for it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top