JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So it looks like I'll be acquiring a 10mm soon, which means I'll be hand loading for it, of course. It's been a long time since I've owned or loaded for something at this power level, so are there any particular things I need to watch for, or any quirks to this particular cartridge? Primary use will be range toy, but it'll also be a nightstand gun, so will be vetting some SD ammo as well, assuming I can find any :rolleyes:. Not that I need it, but at some point I'll probably experiment with some "bear killer" loads, just because that's what you do with a 10mm, right :D? Looking forward to your input, this is a completely new cartridge for me, I've never even shot one before. Later, and thanks.

Dave

Tanfoglio Witness Steel Full Size, how's that for a mouthful ;)? Like new, only 100 rounds through it, wasn't really looking for a 10, but it was offered as partial trade for my CZ 97. Long been intrigued by the 10mm, so decided to go for it. Has the Wonder Finish, nice looking pistol. Later.

Dave

There are a couple levels of 10mm, one I call 40 and a half or 10 lite like the American Eagle stuff by Federal. It's a 180gr bullet at about 1050 fps. The full house loading is a 180gr bullet at around 1250-1300 fps. Generally most pistols are sprung to shoot the lighter loads and benefit from a heavier recoil spring to shoot the full house ones.
As far as loading, particularly with once fired brass you'll want to use something like a Lee Bulge Buster just in case there is any bulging. Other than that follow the recipes and load like any other pistol caliber that head spaces on the case mouth.

Thanks, guys, good info. Yeah, I was already aware of the disparity in load levels, seems most 10mm is loaded to around .40 S&W levels, which begs the question, then why do they even bother loading for the 10? Oremike, I'm already putting together my shopping list, one of the things on that list is a Wolff recoil spring calibration pack. That should have me GTG regardless of load levels.

41mag, I almost never load at or near max, usually end up low-middle. It's usually more accurate, so I figure why beat up myself or my guns? Good info on the lighter bullets, though, I was looking at 180's, as that seems to be the standard, but I always do at least a little experimentation with different bullet weights. Later.

Dave

Thanks, guys, good info. Yeah, I was already aware of the disparity in load levels, seems most 10mm is loaded to around .40 S&W levels, which begs the question, then why do they even bother loading for the 10? Oremike, I'm already putting together my shopping list, one of the things on that list is a Wolff recoil spring calibration pack. That should have me GTG regardless of load levels.

41mag, I almost never load at or near max, usually end up low-middle. It's usually more accurate, so I figure why beat up myself or my guns? Good info on the lighter bullets, though, I was looking at 180's, as that seems to be the standard, but I always do at least a little experimentation with different bullet weights. Later.

Dave
I think a more pertinent question is why did the FBI neuter the 10mm and create the 40 S&W when they all ready had the 9mm and 45 acp?

I think a more pertinent question is why did the FBI neuter the 10mm and create the 40 S&W when they all ready had the 9mm and 45 acp?
Lot of info on that!!! "The Miami Shootout". Warning, some versions have changed the story since 1986. The FBI performed much needed research on various calibers after the failed FBI shootout going against boogie men with long guns vs FBI agents armed with handguns. Some things are a bad idea even today, thus we now see SWAT and LEO dressed for war.

Back to 9mm, 45ACP, and a few others: The ballistic research and autopsies showed the bullets didn't reach a vital organ or could reach a vital organ. Thus the search for the "silver bullet". The 10mm loads at that time could! At that time period the 10mm had more punch 100 yards down range than the 45ACP at muzzle. Not saying there is anything wrong with a 45ACP. The "silver bullet" in a 10mm does have recoil. Getting back on target for a second shot (fast) takes lots of practice. My thoughts have always been there are those in law enforcement that like contact sports, bashing heads, and taking care of bad guys. Give them a 10mm. Then there are the others in law enforcement better off chasing paper.

In an auto loader consider a chamber that fully supports the case. If not, the recommendation here is don't reload a pregnant bulged case. No issues in a six shooter. AA#7 is a good powder.

Foreverlost,

I like longshot in the 10MM, 9.5 grs with a 180 gr bullet gets me 1300 fps out of my glock 20, ( note this load beats the snot out of other 10 mm pistols )

which begs the question, then why do they even bother loading for the 10?
Versatility is one of the blessings of 10mm Auto.

the recommendation here is don't reload a pregnant bulged case.
There is a bit of controversy over this. I've read that once the case is bulged like that, smoothing it back out with a special die does not restore it to its previous condition. Something about stretching that rearranges the molecular structure of the metal which forever weakens it in that spot. I'm not a metallurgist, just what I've read.

When I was reloading 10mm Auto, I found the following to be useful:

Home page of the same site:

Take any cartridge case and bend the wall of the case. The outside radius bends more than the inside of the same radius. Ain't no way no how to get things back the way it was. The bulge is now a weak spot forever. A fully supported case will last longer, but not forever. Any resized cartridge case means metal gets pushed around and has to move somewhere. The bulge creates a thinning of the wall in the radius. Ain't no free lunch with a fully supported case either. Not unusual to end up with a split mouth or head separation.

The last thing anyone needs is the weak spot in a reloaded cartridge case located directly over the unsupported area of a chamber. Bottom line: Your gun, your hand.

Foreverlost,

Two funny thoughts come to mind: Ever have a McKenzie Drift Boat? And going down said river things go bad, get twisted sideways, flip over, or hit a big rock and bend the chine? Take it back to Koffler to fix the leak. Joe will tell you in a heart beat, yes they can weld the leak shut. No way to push the aluminum back from where it came.

This is for the advanced reloader with some fancy tools: First purchase some new 10mm cases. (real hard to do at present) Now get out the machinist tools, dial indicator, block to spin & measure said cartridge case length. Spin the case supported on its head and measure the length all around the mouth as it is spun. Do this before loading, sizing, anything. Record results best as you can. (maybe a few cases)

Now run that puppy thru dies, etc; but before seating the bullet once again measure as above. Record same. Stuff powder & seat bullet.

Fire said round: (or rounds)

Once again measure fired round before any reloading steps. Record results.

Resize, etc; before seating bullet measure case as in first step. Record results.

I've never tried this on anything (cartridge case) fired in an unsupported chamber. My money is placed on the square where the area measured above the bulge will be longer than other measured locations around the mouth of the cartridge. No fair trimming the case!! Lets not cheat.

Foreverlost,

I've shot lots of 10mm with 1911s and Glocks so 10gr Blue Dot with 180gr bullets is a nice warm practice round loading…I never reloaded a 10mm case more then twice though out of caution. Straight walled cases are easy to keep a close eye on but I was very conservative about the cases due the fairly high pressures. Crimp is important!

I recommend buying a big bag of Starline cases to baseline the condition of your hand loads, and work up from 9.0gr of BlueDot. I think Speer's book used 9.0 as their starting loads. BlueDot kicks a bit and 4227 was another powder I used but I don't recall the recipe.

Underwood makes the best defensive 200gr., 10mm loads, followed by BuffaloBore. All the rest seemed "S&W" in comparison, and not the 1,200+ FPS and 600+ ft lbs., for 200gr., bullets that Cooper and Norma were trying for. Good luck :)

Don't pack a case full too it's brim off titegroup!

(Disclaimer: this was done to test the TNW Aero rifle's capability after I developed their 10mm)

3CBB4EFC-693D-44D4-8D58-1FBBADDA4882.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top