JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in need of a good hunting rifle. I've decided to get a 7mm rem mag since a friend of mine already reloads said cartridge. This same friend has tried to talk me into getting a remington 700 but after an unsuccessful deer season with poor optics I think I'd be better off getting a less expensive rifle and putting better optics on it and getting a good set of binos too. With that said, has anybody had experience with mossbergs new 4x4? I like my mossberg shotgun that I've had for a few years. I'm open to all other suggestions too.
Thanks in advance

The Marlin xl7 seems to me to be the best bang (pun totally intended) for the buck (that one intended as wel) out there. I have read several posts on other sites saying that they are getting sub moa results right out of the box. Incredible for a gun that is selling for around $300 brand new! That leaves a lot of cash for good optics. Not sure they make it in 7mm though.

Get yourself a savage with a wood stock....I believe cocktailer can hook you up! Savages are very accurate out of the box!

+1:s0155:

I have had a savage 7mm Mag for years and I feel comfortable shooting out to 300 350 yards.

I believe savage has come out with a new rifle called the savage edge, but I think they renamed it Axis. I have seen it at Gun Pro in eugene with camo stock for 360.00.

Have you thought about the 30.06? With that you have a larger selection of weight of bullets for different size game, and the ammo is cheaper as well. Just a thought. Good luck:winkkiss:

+1:s0155:

I have had a savage 7mm Mag for years and I feel comfortable shooting out to 300 350 yards.

I believe savage has come out with a new rifle called the savage edge, but I think they renamed it Axis. I have seen it at Gun Pro in eugene with camo stock for 360.00.

Have you thought about the 30.06? With that you have a larger selection of weight of bullets for different size game, and the ammo is cheaper as well. Just a thought. Good luck:winkkiss:

I had a savage 110cl ("l" being the lefty model) in 30-06. I really liked it but learned that even though I'm a south paw I shoot better right handed. I would go with the .06 for all the reasons you stated but really want to shoot the same round as my friend. He's shot the 7mm for 15+ years and has his reloading down to a science.

Keep the advice coming fellas!!!

If you have to have a new gun, the recommendations for the Savage and Marlins are good.

But if you shop, you should be able to find a nice used Rem 700 in the $350-400 range. Heckuva lot better gun.

If you have to have a new gun, the recommendations for the Savage and Marlins are good.

But if you shop, you should be able to find a nice used Rem 700 in the $350-400 range. Heckuva lot better gun.

You got one you want to sell? I don't need a new one. A used one would be fine with me as long as it isn't abused. I'm just not a patient person and hate waiting for something that I want.:)

Don't have one to sell, because I'm not a magnumb fan. The only belted magnumbs I have are an original P.O. Ackley- built gun in .276 Ackley (a predecessor to the Remington 7mm, slightly smaller case, and more efficient), and a 700 Classic in .350 Rem. I did sell a nice BDL .300 Win a couple years ago. I asked $400, took the first $375 that was shown. (I had no use for it, took it in trade.)

$435 for a new stainless 700 sounds pretty darned good! I thought they'd be more. That price is more in the range of what I thought a 700 ADL Sythetic would go for. (Plastic stock, flat black finish on the metal). These ADL's are awfully good guns for the money, and the barrelled action is all the quality of a high-dollar 700. They shoot incredibly well. They show up used for $300-350 very frequently.

Though I am not a fan of belted magnumbs, I will not denigrate the 7mm. I have killed more than one deer with that caliber, and have seen a boatload of game killed with that caliber in others' hands.

You have a good thing working for you, in that the magnumbs show up very frequently for sale (a lot of guys realize they can't shoot them worth a darn and get rid of them). Also, they are not "recreational firearms" (guys don't go out plinking with them). Therefore, they are easily found in good shape, and one with a barrel shot out is almost unheard of. (Unlike, say, a .22-250 or a .25-06.)

One more thing to consider (and this applies directly to your situation as you described): Your handloading buddy, having experimented with his 700 will instantly be able to load for another 700 with what he has learned. This doesn't mean your gun (even if it was made the same day!) will necessarily like exactly what his likes, but you'll definitely be in the ballpark with loads that work for him. Then all you have to do is refinement. With a completely different gun, it'd be starting from scratch.

Not anymore. The last decade Remington has been taking a dump on QC while Savage has skyrocketed theirs and Marlin has been putting a lot of effort into making a nice rifle.

Older 700's are better then? Nope, they still use old machining that has been very much improved on. Are they good guns, HECK YEAH, I should know as that is what I use. However, my 700 Classic in 6mm cannot even come close to the accuracy of my $300 Stevens 200 300Win, a BASELINE Savage.

Now, as for looks? Remington has one smooth rifle. Savage ain't the prettiest but it sure does shoot.

Savage has the exact same deal going on at BiMart as Remington.

Both my Savage's will out shoot my 700. I load my own, and have tried nearly every bullet weight/type from Hornady, Speer, Nosler and Nosler/Winchester. A couple different powder types and loads for the 30.06. The best group I've gotten with that rifle is 3" @ 100 meters. Out of the box, with Fusion 175 gr, my 7mm was an inch with 3 rounds. Now, my handloads are consistently under that. My 110 in .270 is much the same. I hear it said that the 700 is a good "base" action. Ok, base for what?? How much more do you have to spend to get the type of accuracy as an out of the box Savage?

Both my Savage's will out shoot my 700. I load my own, and have tried nearly every bullet weight/type from Hornady, Speer, Nosler and Nosler/Winchester. A couple different powder types and loads for the 30.06. The best group I've gotten with that rifle is 3" @ 100 meters. Out of the box, with Fusion 175 gr, my 7mm was an inch with 3 rounds. Now, my handloads are consistently under that. My 110 in .270 is much the same. I hear it said that the 700 is a good "base" action. Ok, base for what?? How much more do you have to spend to get the type of accuracy as an out of the box Savage?

1" out of the box, eh? That's some impressive stuff. I did like my savage that I probably shouldn't have sold. Hmmm...... maybe I should stick with savage. I am 1/64 indian....er.....native american:D

Savage actions are the premier action to be chosen for a benchrest rifle if one cannot afford a custom "built-from-the-ground-up" benchrest action.

Savage actions were the absolute predominate action in benchrest competition prior to there being any custom benchrest actions. They continue to hold their own and sweep top awards even against the custom stuff.

Savage actions are the most popular action chosen by customers and recommended by gunsmiths/gunbuilders for accuracy when building a custom gun. Indeed, there are many custom gun builders who are reluctant or even refuse to use anything else for their platform.

Savage actions are a reference point for nearly all of the custom "house brand" bolt actions produced by action builders in America today: i.e.: Montana, etc. These builders take the best features of the Savage action Winchester, Springfield and the Mauser, and construct actions with the best of all features from each.

The military has chosen the Savage action as its platform for sniper weaponry since the Vietnam war.

Got your attention? GOOD!

All the above is Bizzarro Speak. On planet earth, in order to be comprehended, you are required to insert Remington everywhere you see Savage.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top