JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You mean setup a Dillon 650XL and start cranking out reloaded rounds right there on the firing line?

If so, why would you do that?
I was thinking of something more portable. It could save trips back and forth to the range or allow you to load for current conditions. I thought that match shooters did this but I could be mistaken.

Some years ago, there was a guy I saw there with a small press and gear charging cases and seating bullets. Looked like he was testing loads. I'd check the rules P7M13 posted, and if it's not clear, I'd ask the staff before I planned to do it.

I've seen it done before at the 100yd gp range but this was a few yrs ago(4-5 yrs ago). He mounted his equipment not on the shooting bench but on the counter behind the shooting benches.

I thought about doing this when I was a member and shooting 6PPC and 6BR bench rest rifles. It is a great idea for load development and when trying to shoot groups that measure in the teens where you have to adjust loads as the temp and humidity changes. I didn't have a powder throw that was accurate enough to use and there is always just enough air movement that a balance scale would be a real challenge to use. I'd seen online a couple of clever cases to isolate the scales from the air movement but didn't have the dedication to take it that far. I had asked one of the range officers about it and he didn't see a reason why not. I had plans to use an RCBS JR and arbor press.

Every range is different. During load end of development, in the fine-tuning stages, I find it very useful. If they don't allow for it on the bench, or if it's a day with a lot of shooters, I'll reload on my tailgate.

I learned something from this new rulebook. It said 223/5.56 ammo is allowed to be fired at BP range steel, 75 yds and beyond if using frangible bullets. I don't recall that being in the old rule book?
I recall seeing a change in the signage on the BP range to permit this, for 2-3 lanes down on one end of the firing line. Will have to give it a closer look next time I'm out there.

Yea, it used to be lead only on anything larger than 22LR, and something like MV under 2000 FPS.
Supposedly my copper plated, pure lead 30-30 mouse fart loads were not allowed....
Semi jacketed 30-30 was allowed previously as were fmj in some pistol cartridges. These new rules have more detail than the old rule book.

You mean setup a Dillon 650XL and start cranking out reloaded rounds right there on the firing line?

If so, why would you do that?

This is what I believe ARAKboss has in mind. I'm considering getting one. A complete reloading package can fit in a tool box.

I use a Lee hand press as my only press. When I used to go to ranges, I'd have a box of pre-primed, sized cases that just needed powder and a bullet. I could tune the loads right there as I fire.

Everything fits into a small shoulder bag. I use this on camping trips, etc now to load at my leisure where I choose.

This is what I believe ARAKboss has in mind. I'm considering getting one. A complete reloading package can fit in a tool box.
That is one option or I can prepare brass at home so all I have to do is add powder and seat bullet. That could be done with Lee loader. Another option is to mount single stage press to board that can be clamped to table or bench at the range.

I have one, works awesome while sizing/decapping .308 in front of the Telly.

The wife and I were taking some detours and back roads a few years ago in Northern CA when I realized we were near Oroville, home to RCBS. Huntington's Sportsman Store is adjacent and had LOTS of cool stuff and history. One item they had in bargain pile was an all-aluminum Rock Chucker press. Special made to take to the range for reloading. Kicking myself for not coming home with that just because it was so cool to me.

Several of the 600 yard shooters routinely seat bullets using an arbor press after testing various seating depths. I've done that as well.
Dropping powder is different as the scale can be affected by the wind/weather as compared to wherever you normally reload.
However, If you need rounds like at a match or other event, you can reload.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top