JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You've conflated evil and civilization.

No, actually I've conflated virtue and civilization.

According to Emile Benveniste (1954[4]), the earliest written occurrence in English of civilisation in its modern sense may be found in Adam Ferguson's An Essay on the History of Civil Society (Edinburgh, 1767 – p. 2): "Not only the individual advances from infancy to manhood, but the species itself from rudeness to civilisation."

Well spoken but not true. Many of the most highly educated people in our civilized nation believe in and practice infanticide, child rape and self worship. Of these elite, the vast majority are well versed in written and spoken languages, yet many lack a soul. I would say rather that the general laborer who didn't graduate from junior high, but who protects his daughter from the highly educated liberal child molester is the more civilized.

Well, moral alignments aside, all I meant by the statement that civilization begins with written language is that it is the first building block for anthropologists to be able to call a group a legitimate civilization, in historical terms. Some form of records or written language is necessary. It doesn't even have to be in writing as we know it, some early South American civilizations used rope and knots to record events.

And all I was getting at was that, being the basis of a civilization, it's pretty important. And I'm not even the grammar nazi out of the people I know.

Of all the guns I've owned the Savage mod 24 in 22 over 20 guage, is in my opinion the ultimate survival (SHTF)gun.22 longrifle is the most used ammo in the world, cheap and light weight.It will kill anything in north America with a well placed shot.If you happen to need more power, the 20 or 12 ga bottom barrel will take care of it. Esp. if you live in a place like Alaska;)

Just for me.

YMMV

Back in the day my brother in law and I would go to the gun shows.

When the container loads of SKSs came in he and I would buy two a month.

take them home and clean Cosmoline till the cows came home!

Next day was range day.

We would take the new and the worst of the old.
We did sight ins and functions The best one or two would go home with us.

I wont say what we paid.
Then all the goodies came out for them.

Black stocks 30 round mags scope mounts

And off to the range.

Lets just say all of the "black rifle" stuff was sold at the gun show.

In the end we each kept a few.

He said he had two and I said I had three but I know he had five and I had five.
Well six one for parts.
With chicom and bandolier and some practice busten off thirty was not a problem.

Pink mist @ 300m N-W-I-H! milk jug @100m will never carry milk again.

ammo and strippers and Bobs your uncle.
Mags we don't need no stinker mags

There are Two things I have done to the two best ones.

Cut and paste from google and respective web sites
SKS triggers, improve the safety of the SKS carbines
SKS triggers, improve the safety of the SKS carbines
SKS Target/Match Safety Trigger ... Over the years I've become frustrated with many “gunsmiths” as to the quality of work or the lack of available services.

The price of $59.95 + $5 shipping includes carefully cutting and changing YOUR sear/hammer geometry for a minimal, acceptable positive engagement. A Wolff sear and hammer spring are installed upon re-assembly. I tune the trigger spring myself. The safety function is effected with a minimal first stage. Anything that precludes smoothness is corrected by lapping, stoning, or filing as needed. Crooked disconnectors are straightened if needed.

SKS Owners
<broken link removed>
Original Russian SKS's, Mfg'd. from 1945 to 1950, had a firing pin design that incorporated a return spring.(above pic) Why “later” Russian, Chinese, and all ...

Or, if you’d like us to install the FP kit for you, just send the bolt assembly with a check or money order for $47 This includes FP kit and installation. We disassemble, clean, stone bolt face lightly and countersink FP hole, polish extractor face, and reassemble with new FP kit. Once you receive your bolt assembly, it will be ready to just drop into your rifle then shoot. We also return your original firing pin.

Yes I had two mini30s no longer have them

FAL sold

10/22 don't ask what all I have done to my littler black beauty

12 gage shotty for mouse I meant house gun

When I find a yard sale/pawn gun show .22LR be it bolt or semi for cheep as long as the lock stock and barrel are good snap and if it will also feed and shoot shorts all the better.

and yes bolt 30.06 glassed that I can do 300m gongs
it was old and looked ugly but a better trigger I never felt. Pristine Rifling
it feeds and locks like a dream.

I need a shut up button!

I didn't read all of these post's but I didn't see a vote for a Shotty?

A good 12 guage is probably the best home defense weapon out there. Shoot Birds on the fly, Shoot Deer/elk easy enough. I am a 3 gun guy for a shtf scenario.

.45 pistol
.308 Armalite
12 guage.

The .22 is awesome as well, just not quite what I am going with.

all packed up.jpg

Last Edited:
Yeah i hear what youre saying about the Mini but i just have always had doubts on an AR. I mean I know theyre everywhere and there are a ton of parts floating around but i hear all the time from friends in the service how much they hate their M16 and M4's. I know theyre a but different from the AR but theyre both Stoner designs. If i lived in Bend where i was born it may be a bit different due to the dryness of it, but here in Kelso where i live its almost literally like a jungle and always wet if not raining. It makes me wonder how the polymer would far and how often i would have to oil it to keep it ready; i hear grampas stories about Nam and how they were almost literally ALWAYS oiling their weapons and even still they failed sometimes. And aside from the fact our rain is cold and theirs was warm, the weather here is just like Nam

Listen to your Grandpa, Any thing with a Stoner action is a POS, they should have never made it passed the military testing phase. They were scraped once by the military and should have stayed in the scrape heap. Yes I carried one in Nam.

I have a Lee-Enfield in .303 brit and i know those things last forever; my only qualm is ammo availibility. Anybody more experienced have any suggestions for something simple and common that could suit survival purposes? I also have a 10/22 but i feel like that would be difficult to kill anything larger than a coyote

My 2 cents, .22 and 9mm firearms. Pistol and rifle of each caliber. Both inexpensive and commonly used lightweight weapons and ammo. Also, I have a bb gun, blow guns, and bow. Again, lightweight and easy to carry, plus cheap. And, if you needed to hunt for small game quietly in a survival situation, blazing high caliber rounds is going to make that hard.

I say, find 2 calibers you like, and invest in those. Think storage, and mobility. Train train train, and prepare more than you train.

A coach once said "failing to prepare, is preparing to fail".....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top