JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for some decent "legal" area's to shoot in and around Port Orchard WA. Any suggestions? I've been up across the Hood Canal bridge near Sandy Shore Lk road. It's ok but only 200 yards or so. I've heard of a place around my neck of the woods "out past the bridge" in Mason county but I couldn't get any clarification on where the heck that is exactly. But apparently it's a great spot, wide open up to and beyond 600yds+. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.....Thanks:s0155:

Well, this thread has what people have shared in the past. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/showthread.php?t=664&highlight=outdoor+shooting+tacoma Some of the earlier spots in the thread might be grown over a bit. None of those are pushing 600yds though. The only place that in that thread that might have a chance of longer ranges is the one out by Dewatto on NE Forest Springs Road.

Try to get more info on the place in Mason county. I'd love to know where it is (not that I ever shoot that far). What "bridge" are they talking about? Not many notable bridges out here, just railroad trestles and bridges over small rivers.

closest near Jefferson is actually in Clallam county by Port Angeles.. Careful with shooting near Sand Shores, the county passed a bunch of "No-shoot zones" about 2 years ago, not sure if thats one but I'll look into it if you want

Yes, please let me know if it is a "no shoot area". I have spoken to a couple of people out there and they say it's okay as far as they know. I'll also try to figure out what bridge that is. It may be a train tressle like the other dude was saying. Either way thanks for the heads up.

Yes, please let me know if it is a "no shoot area". I have spoken to a couple of people out there and they say it's okay as far as they know. I'll also try to figure out what bridge that is. It may be a train tressle like the other dude was saying. Either way thanks for the heads up.

Hey folks, I live in Tahuya in mason county. From what I understand if you are 150 yrds from and developed areas like campgrounds and such its ok to shoot in the Tahuya State Forest. I am not sure what areas are good since I have not had a chance to do any exploring since I moved here (10 month old son) Maybe when he's older. I do know of a place in Jefferson Co. Across the hood canal bridge to the 104/101 junction. Go south on 101 to Snow Creek Rd. Take a left and starting at about 4 miles up you will see places littered with trash and shotgun shell cases everywhere. Its too bad that people don't clean up after they are done. And they wonder why there are more and more No Shoot Zones. I have been thinking of just going up one day to clean and I always pick up my stuff when I'm done. I just don't want to lose the spot. Anyway, good luck and keep things clean and we can all enjoy public land shooting for years to come. Maybe my son can too.

If they are speaking of a bridge,it would most likely be the Hood Canal Bridge.
If you continue west on the 104 (the hiway that crosses the bridge) you come to some power lines,High tension? we used to call them.
You can find some places to shoot there,but you would have to pick out a nice clear cut for 600yds
And watch for motorcycles!
But I'm sure it's first come first serve.You don't shoot when there is MCs and they ain't gunna ride if you are there shooting.
Gotta be something in Mason county

If they are speaking of a bridge,it would most likely be the Hood Canal Bridge.
If you continue west on the 104 (the hiway that crosses the bridge) you come to some power lines,High tension? we used to call them.
You can find some places to shoot there,but you would have to pick out a nice clear cut for 600yds
And watch for motorcycles!
But I'm sure it's first come first serve.You don't shoot when there is MCs and they ain't gunna ride if you are there shooting.
Gotta be something in Mason county

Seems to me the Hood Canal bridge is kinda the long way to get to Mason County from Port Orchard. :p

I will say I have shot by the power lines by where they cross 104. I dunno if there is anyplace with good distance though since we were only shooting handguns.

Anyway everyone keep us updated if you find new cool spots. And check out the thread I linked earlier for a few spots on the Kitsap Peninsula.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top