JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was at the range yesterday and went thru a couple hundred rounds with my p22. I was getting a casing to forehead about 50% of the time. I am looking at getting a 9mm and wondered if anybody had any advise on the ejection issue.

I'm a lefty with a P22 also, and a 9mm and a .40. I have some issues with the .22 casings coming back at me (not 50 %) but hardely ever have problems with my larger capacity pistols. Someone here can probably equate that to powder vs. pressure, etc.

Not possible you have unusually short arms and unusually long upper torso right :>)

Just to start another good argument I'll add that I have a Lefty Stag AR-15 that I love. No issues there.

Are all your pistols right handed? I don't think I want to pay extra for a lefty but I have been drawn to the Glocks and the Springfield XDM because the magazine release is ambidextrous.

I am a lefty and have no problems with ejected brass from any pistol. Also, I use my index finger to eject magazines, even if the mag release is ambidextrous. I guess I just got used to doing it that way shooting 1911s. Doing it that way also keeps your booger hook off the bang switch until the reload is complete and you are once again ready to fire.

A buddy of mine is lefty.... he's shot all my pistols, and the sp101 we bought him, and many many others, he doesn't seem to have any issues with ejected brass.

All manufacturers have changed their design, albeit subtlety, to accommodate lefties. Ejected brass will clear you for the most part if you're shooting left handed. it's not a huge clearance like shooting right handed but enough to work. i shoot my ar left handed now and the shells goes sailing pass my right shoulder by a small gap.

I share your handicap. I've never had any problems--except my first gen Kimber would eject the last shell straight up so that if I was at an indoor range I'd smacked on the head when the case rebounded off the top of the shooting lane. Or worse, hot brass down my shirt. But that would happen regardless of which hand you shot with. I have since sold that gun and all my other autoloaders. I stick to the six-shooters in my old age.

I am a chronic lefty, and have shot a wide range of auto-pistols and found that an occasional example of type has a marginality in the ejector which makes it left-unfriendly when coupled with a certain load. Usually a 'plinker' load like WWB or UMC yellowbox. Defensive loads usually have enough pop to hide this marginality. If it really bothers you you can make a modification to the ejector to alter the kick-out, I wouldn't recomend that but have done it on a pistol before. If it is the case where the issue is ammo sensitive, wear a hat while plinking and don't sweat it for defensive loads.

I have a P22, Glock 9/40/45, 1911 45, hi-power 9/40, currently and experience no 'brass-to-face' issues with factory full power ammo.

I am a chronic lefty, and have shot a wide range of auto-pistols and found that an occasional example of type has a marginality in the ejector which makes it left-unfriendly when coupled with a certain load. Usually a 'plinker' load like WWB or UMC yellowbox. Defensive loads usually have enough pop to hide this marginality. If it really bothers you you can make a modification to the ejector to alter the kick-out, I wouldn't recomend that but have done it on a pistol before. If it is the case where the issue is ammo sensitive, wear a hat while plinking and don't sweat it for defensive loads.

I have a P22, Glock 9/40/45, 1911 45, hi-power 9/40, currently and experience no 'brass-to-face' issues with factory full power ammo.
re

That might have been the problem. I had to purchase ammo from the range and it was for plinking. I had not thought about that before.

Hmmmm, well, growing up I would write with my left hand but do everyting else right handed. So, the military considered me left handed. I am ambidextrous to a degreee and I can shoot handguns with both hands with my left being better in off hand. I shoot rifles right handed. And to top it off, I am left eye dominant. As for having an issue with brass upon ejection...never really noticed,however, I do no longer wear loose teeshirts, had one too many pieces of brass fall down my chest, don't like the burn.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top