JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gotcha. I would assume you could carefully apply a clear coat of some sort. But if you are exposing it to that much moisture I would be more worried about the bore and action. Maybe get a SS gun for those conditions?

The proper amount of a good gun oil, such as Corrosion-X and then a proper cleaning at the end of the day. And a well blued gun will last several life times.

16342718_0.jpg

Thinking of protecting it in the field in snow, rain or what ever? I'd like to take it out in all wet weather conditions and avoid rust through the receiver and barrel. Any ideas?

When I am hunting...I take a old hunk of flannel shirt that has been sprayed with CLP , I will then give my rifle / shotgun a wipe down through out the day...this seems to work well , even in rain and wet snow.

Mostly though as KKG said a proper cleaning at the end of the day , will do wonders to protecting the guns blueing.
Andy

Are you talking about protecting it in the field or for long term storage?

That would be my question too. For the former, Ballistol and Eezox has worked for us, provided the proper care is given the arm. The latter, Cosmoline, and in limited cases, Fluid Film (Lanolin). No complaints thus far and we've lived in, and currently reside, in a location that gets plenty of rain, fog, snow, ice, humidity, et al.

Wear on the bluing and wood stock is just what happens , with that said :

Bluing may thin and the wood and steel gain patina...that to me is part of the "Beauty" of a rifle.
Hunting use and honest wear and tear is fine by me....Abuse and neglect is a whole other matter.

Clean your rifle after each use...let each mark on the stock or wear of the blue be a reminder of your hunt or day at the range.
Andy

teflon paint? Any others?

I would use ballistol or eezox. Both are Anise oil. Leaves a slightly basic, very thin dry film that helps fight oils and acids from fingerprints and prevents rust. I love the slight sheen it leaves on blued parts of firearms (i.e. makes them look like new).

If u watch Hickok45 videos it's the only thing he uses for cleaning and lube. The Germans have been using it since early 1900s as I recall. When using it as a cleaner for dirty parts such as the barrel, let it sit for a while to work on the carbon/powder residue.

I like this stuff for a clean, lube, protectant. It doesn't attract dirt or carbon like greases or most gun oils because it leaves a dry, slippery film (if u wipe off excess). It has a pretty strong licorice-like odor though so throw any soaked qtips or whatever in outside trash.

Last Edited:
Ballistol smells like it came out of a pig's lower intestine and since the OP mentioned fieldwork (assume hunting) it would seem keeping such smells in check would be prudent.

My $0.02 would be to apply Militec-1 before and after.

MILITEC-1® Firearms Lubricant

Thinking of protecting it in the field in snow, rain or what ever? I'd like to take it out in all wet weather conditions and avoid rust through the receiver and barrel. Any ideas?

A few days in that environment isn't going to do much to it. When you get home give it a good strip down, cleaning, drying and a light coat of your favorite protectant.

So long as you don't have scratches where the bluing is gone, and its down to bare metal, a few days in the elements shouldn't hurt it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top