JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am one, and I was wondering who else is a SHTF'er. By that, I mean who prepares for it, what do you prepare for, do you believe in macro or micro SHTF, etc...? I have water reserves, ammo reserves, food supplies, bio-hazard materials, camping/survival gear, etc.... and of course guns, knives, etc.

For those who don't know, SHTF stands for S Hits The Fan, and is meant to be basically an event in which social order is disrupted, usually on a large scale. Hurricane Katrina is a great SHTF example.

I always tried to make my lifestyle part of my preparations so it'd be less of an uproar when something occurred. Hunting trailer that can sleep the family, water barrels, food for a month or two, ham radio and gun hobby for those instances, small genset, DC capable electronics. kerosene lighting and cooking, offroad capable vehicles, and so on. Hopefully I can lay low enough long enough that nobody will see me as a prize to capture before things start normalizing again. I'm too creaky to move all the bodies away from the house anymore...

I've got enough water for two weeks (plus a stream running through the property) and enough food for more than a month (2400 calorie/day diet for two people). 10 gallons of gas. 10 gallons of propane. Various other gun-nut stuff, tools and gadgets.

Every time some disaster happens (earthquake, 9/11, hurricane, etc.), I add a little more to my stockpile. The Mountain House #10 cans are great because they last for 30+ years, so I don't need to worry about rotating those for a while.

If society completely collapses and we have to go back to gathering roots and grubs, I'm SOL because I'm dependent on a few medications to keep me going. If that happens, I figure I'll go out in a blaze of glory with zombie corpses stacked up all around me.

I've also been feeding the squirrels, so I've got some meat-on-the-hoof if things get bad enough.

Bumping this thread back up - anyone else preparing for the zombie apocalypse?

But, seriously, I need to rotate out some of my SOS bars and freeze dried food. I do a pretty good job rotating my water out on a 6-month cycle (sometimes a bit longer...). Also, rotate out gasoline every 6 months (not shown here).

There's probably other stuff that I need to add to my stockpile, but I also have other things around the house (camping gear, cooking gear, clothes, etc.) so I'm not sure these shelves have to contain everything.

Bunch of smaller stuff in a locking plastic case:

I have to admit, I haven't eaten any of the MRE's that I have - I'm operating under the assumption that if hungry enough, anything will taste good. I've tried the SOS food bars and they're not bad - hard to imagine they'd provide enough for a day's worth of food, but hard times come with hard food. I've tried most of the freeze dried food that I have and find it to be pretty tasty.

I'm actually doing this more as prep for an earthquake rather than some theoretical collapse of society (due to the gold standard, riots or whatever). However, having this stuff does hedge bets for life's little unanticipated moments.

Anyone else giving these things some thought? Are people planning to "bug-in" or "bug-out"?

I'm more bug-in-and-hold-out than git-up-and-go, unless good old Mt. Rainier decides to blow her top. I'm thinking system interruption such as power failures, water stops, store not accessible for a while.

Zombie squirrels on the roof.

Probably good for a couple weeks of no store no water no electricty in the dead of winter, more if in the summer, Sun's setup makes my meager supplies look like grade-school beginners!

For your MRE's,here is a link to the shelf life under different tempertures.
<broken link removed>

That's a good link - given our mild temperatures, MRE's should last for quite a while up here.

Another good link on MRE's I like: http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/sopakco-sure-pak-mres.html

Years ago I became a survivalist:D:D Now I am an old man, guess it worked:s0131::s0131::s0114::s0114::s0114:

jj

The funny thing is that despite all the "survival junk" I have in my garage, I don't really consider myself a "survivalist" (in the classic sense).

But, then, I don't consider myself to be a lot of things. Years ago, I was doing volunteer work for the Forest Service and a friend of mine said "Well, you're a pretty strong environmentalist, aren't you?" I was kind of shocked and said "What the h*ll are you talking about?" :s0114:

I'm more bug-in-and-hold-out than git-up-and-go, unless good old Mt. Rainier decides to blow her top. I'm thinking system interruption such as power failures, water stops, store not accessible for a while.

As long as there's a plan B. See the news clip on the lady in New Orleans who tried to stay at her house after Katrina and the cops beat her up for it? Craziness.

I'd say I'm a survivalist. 2 weeks worth of water, multiple propane tanks tucked away, camping gear, about a months worth of food for my wife and I, and plenty of ammo, and thats all in my apartment, I'm afraid of what I'll turn into should I get a place with some land.

for the time being I'm definitely more of the bug-in type of person. Even though I don't live in an ideal spot, I still see my chances of survival being greater protecting what I have, rather than abandoning a lot of good gear to bug-out. But that all depends on the scenario.

Zombies be very afraid.

AAAAHHHH looks like we are in for an earthquake, lots of activity and some big 6.0s in Alaska.:s0131::s0131::s0114::s0114:

No really, it has been alot of fun and I have learned a great deal. You guys get a chance try to find Mel Tappens Survival Guns. Great book and keeps the mind thinking.

If SHTF try to end up old like me:D Or die real healthy:s0114::s0114:

jj

I do have 3 55gal food-grade poly barrels I can fill on short notice, but I sure as heck won't be hauling them anywhere while full! Yes, and a couple hand pumps. If I can keep the Insulin chilled or at least cool I can last through the expiration date, if I can latch onto enough to last that long. They seem to have a 2-year shelf life if kept cold, 30 days at room temp. If things get really bad I'd expect I'd be losing some weight and maybe the insulin would last longer. As far as other limiting factors, my anti-rejection meds would give me 90 days, then it's all downhill, maybe another 90 days, maybe not.

Simplifies my preparations somewhat. The rest of the family aren't SHTF'ers by any means, but the kids could put anything I stash to good use.

Just Jim said:
You guys get a chance try to find Mel Tappens Survival Guns.

That's been darn scarce for the last 20 years! I even contacted his widow and she couldn't help. Old copies last about 5 minutes at gunshows around here. Check garage sales by shooters widows or places like Powell's (I already check there...zip, nada).

Another worthless tip, you may not need to store so much water if you buy a good water purifier. 3 min without air, 3 days without water, three weeks without food and you have flunked the test of life.

jj

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads