JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been threatening to buy a sewing machine for several years now and finally did it this week. I am tired of hand sewing gear I am making or modifying.

Last week I put a used Juki LU-562 on "lay-away" since for tax reason I want to pay for it after the first of the year. Also it will not fit in my car so I can not pick it up till I am back in town with my truck the first week of January. The machine has been professionally rebuilt and comes with new table and motor.

Here is a stock photo,

I am totally new to the sewing machine world. The shop I bought this from is going to give me some basic lessons on how to run it. Are there any folks in the Spokane or Yakima area that might be able to give me some tips?

My 2 first projects that I want to tackle are a custom radio bra for ski patrol and a custom weight belt for my GF.

yeah yeah so what did it cost???
I am thinking on making some hats and trying some other stuff.Now my sis is a pro but she sells the high end stuff.
And she's in Olympia

And it's seamstress,a sewer is what the poop runs down.

I just am not comfortable calling myself a seamstress yet ;)

Although
diy_tactical_shirt-p235268799464094249zxhn1_400.jpg

I think it was a little on the high side but it comes from a full service shop and is guaranteed. Plus the shop is going to show me how to make it work. I gave $1000 for it. I was hoping to be in about $500.

After looking a lot on line I found several machines in the ~$500 range but all either needed work or parts like table/motor ect. So buying used I would have been into it $800-900 so that little extra was worth it for piece of mind.

I am sure once I start using it I will come up with all kinds of cool things to build. I get tired of buying "new" bags hoping they are better then my old ones but still not being what I want. Now I can make some mods and come up with my own stuff.

The best way to start is getting good at a straight sticht and running and good straight line. You will also want a good set of shears be sure to include pinking shears. A good seam ripper is a must.

Your next step is the local sewing shop sign up for classes. Be perpared to be the only guy there. You may also want a few good sewing books.
Going to sewing expo's are a good way to gain a lot of knowsledge also. Be sure to take your man purse to carry everything.

Coats & Clark make the best thread. You will need thread that matches the material you are sewing, i.e. cotton to cotton,

Have funny and MERRY CHRISTMAS

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads