JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently decided that I wanted to replace my 90's Ruger M77 in .30-06 with a shorter and lighter bolt gun in .308.

I stopped by the LGS the other day (the only one for 50 miles and in an area dominated by elk hunting) to see what they had. This store has been around since the 50's and is staffed by some pretty knowledgeable hunters and good ol' boys. It also has a rifle selection that rivals the Sportsman's Warehouse 50 miles away. My dad worked at this store when I was born and then started his own gun store, which led to him owning a chain of three gun shops in the region. He sold the last one in 2006 and retired.

Anyway, I go in and start looking at the rack of Ruger American rifles. None in .308. One in .350 Legend, one in .223, and the rest all 6.5 CM. Weird. I go to the rack of Tikka rifles. One in .243, one in .22-50, one in .270, a couple in 6.5 PRC, and the rest all 6.5 CM. Again, weird. I see a rack of "tactical" bolt guns with Ruger RPRs, Savage chassis rifles, and a Mossberg MVP Scout. All were in 6.5 CM.

They then had a rack of high end bolt guns like the Christiansen Arms and Bergara rifles. All were 6.5 CM or 6.5 PRC.

I have nothing against the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I do like the ability to have a choice in what caliber I decide on for a hunting rifle.

I just found it odd that the overwhelming majority of rifles in a store in an area where elk hunting reigns supreme, was a caliber that is mediocre for elk. I grew up working in one of my dad's shops and have never seen such domination by a caliber like this.

Is anyone else seeing this in their LGS? Even online it seems most of the small and handy bolt guns I look at are in 6.5 CM. Is there a cult or something we should be concerned about?

You should just get one as 6.5CM is also the only ammo you can go into Bimart and get without difficulty. Well that and 17HMR. Shelves are full of them both.

Yes you would hope they would have something in 308 but I am sure they order based on what is moving. Btw I think the 6.5 prc would make a damn fine elk rifle. I also still have a softspot for the good ol' 308 and lately I have been reloading and shooting for a couple recently acquired bolties in 308 and renewing my appreciation for the chambering.

More first time firearm and otherwise new buyers out there. Most non gun people will go straight to 308 and 30-06 without considering other cartridges and only be aware of a few others like the 270 and a few magnums. I can see 6.5 anything getting overlooked, but I think your LGS may have some merchandising problems or maybe it's all they can get through their suppliers right now.

Maybe find what you want at an online dealer like Buds and have shipped to your LGS?

Personally 6.5 CM wouldn't give me any issues as an elk gun with the right bullet and range, but no reason to net get what you want.

I like 6.5CM but I don't consider it a great hunting cartridge. The fact that Bi-Mart has ammo in stock tells me it's not as popular as some think.

Are you sure you were at a LGS and not in the comments section of a "what to buy" thread? Doesn't matter if you're asking about what belted Magnum or rimfire to get, 6.5 guy always shows up and brings 7 of his favorite drinking buddies

Nah, too much powder and BCs arent at least .600

LOL. The hatred for 6.5CM only slightly confuses me more than the hatred for Glock.

Oh well, people gotta hate on stuff that's better than what they have. Sorry .308 guys, but 6.5CM IS BETTER. Get over it.

LOL. The hatred for 6.5CM only slightly confuses me more than the hatred for Glock.

Oh well, people gotta hate on stuff that's better than what they have. Sorry .308 guys, but 6.5CM IS BETTER. Get over it.

The Glock hatred denies mechanical and verifiable benefits of Glock. Creedtards refuse to acknowledge the same bullet with the same powder charge has been used since 1891.

Better is subjective. By the only measure I can see is BC and how trajectory is influenced. But then we can bring out the 7mm Rem Mag and really see some BETTER!

The Glock hatred denies mechanical and verifiable benefits of Glock. Creedtards refuse to acknowledge the same bullet with the same powder charge has been used since 1891.

Better is subjective. By the only measure I can see is BC and how trajectory is influenced. But then we can bring out the 7mm Rem Mag and really see some BETTER!

Oh, believe me. I don't think the 6.5CM is the be all/end all cartridge. But I hear enough people say how much better .308 is and that is not true.

I'll admit that I've also always been confused as to why this .308 vs 6.5 issue is so polarizing. Both rounds are great, and each have their place.

Nowadays it's hard to buy rifles in EITHER caliber without getting the stink eye from one group of fanboys or another o_O.

Dear OP - you wrote - 'I just found it odd that the overwhelming majority of rifles in a store in an area where elk hunting reigns supreme, was a caliber that is mediocre for elk.'

I'm not sure that untold numbers of Swedes, Norwegians, Lapps/Sami people, and the occasional furriner, me included, would agree with you.

Since 1895 this calibre has reigned supreme in Scandinavia for taking and culling of the Scandinavian Elg/elk/moose. Seems that they've never learn that the 6.5 bullet is meant to bounce right off 'em.

'course, it may well be that the North American moose has somehow built up an immunity to such a pathetic cartridge.

As ever, YMMV.

But don't pay me no never-mind, read what a fellow USA-ite had to say on campfire.com -

The 6.5X55 is THE best kept secret for big game hunting for those that don't have one. huntsman22 uses the .260 with 130 gr.TSX's and his bull wasn't small last year, a tribute to the darling 6.5, huntsman's woodcraft, and his marksmanship! The Swede loaded with TSX's or Nosler Partitions is plenty of gun for elk. If you don't load yourself get some Norma ammo. The Europeans load the Swede a lot hotter than the Americans do, it's a litigation thing here. Just put the bullet in the lungs and tenderloins are on their way!

Ah, THAT's the secret, then! 2750 - 2900 fps instead of the more usual Federingtonster stuff you guys shoot in the USA. No wonder it bounces right off 'em. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I'll admit that I've also always been confused as to why this .308 vs 6.5 issue is so polarizing. Both rounds are great, and each have their place.

Nowadays it's hard to buy rifles in EITHER caliber without getting the stink eye from one group of fanboys or another o_O.

I agree. It's ok to like either one, or even both like me! But to take such a hard line how one is better than the other or one sucks and the other is amazing just dumbfounds me.......

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top