JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for input from any milspec 5r owner/shooters out there who have/are working up loads. Found some good stuff on some of the Tactical websites but always a good idea to check with the locals.

Thanks in advance-PM's or posts.

Remington 700's have a deep throat/chamber.
My advice ywould be to load to the max length your rifle can fit in the magazine. You'll be well over 2.8".
Measure the thoat if you can but you'll likely be loading up to 2.850
I loaded 50- 175 grain Sierra Match Kings this AM with 45grains of Re15 to an overal length of 2.850". NOTE- that's my load for my rifle, you should work your way up to the right muzzle velocity for your needs. I'm also shooting a Rem 700P with an Accuracy International Stock with their mag. This mag will accept rounds up to 2.885" COAL.

Right now I'm using Lapua brass either new or once fired and neck sized .336 on Redding Type S bushing dies. Trimmed length 2.08.

Federal 210M primers.

Sierra 168SMK, 175 SMK, Berger 175VLD's. I seat everything out to 2.82 so I can still fit the magazine.

The best ogive/least jump to lands is with the 175SMK's, and even then it's .1105"!

Varget from 42-44 grains.

I'm going to try a ladder on the 175SMK's starting at 42grains, but don't know if .5 grain increments will be too much or too little.

139 rounds so far, this is taking more work than usual-

I haven't had any 5R's but here's some loads that I've found work very well in multiple 308's I've owned and tested...

Lapua Brass
42.5gr Varget
CCI BR-2 primer
175gr SMK bullet (also works well with 175gr Berger VLD)
Jumping about .010"

Lapua Brass
45gr Varget
CCI BR-2 primer
155gr SMK "palma" bullet (very good with 155.5gr Berger BT "fullbore")
Jumping about .020"

I recently tested a rifle for my website and ran the 155gr load above the results were very good at 500yds... here's the link...

http://www.shoot-farther.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page13.html

By the way the Benchmark Barrels is in Arlington, WA

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews