JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not know what value you are getting there, but regardless..

You still need a really good US made cast iron grain grinder and a solid bench to mount it on. I have custom steel bench that doubles as a reloading table..

BTW I recommend extra grains.. hulled oats can be made into Irish porridge very easily by boiling, they are great for baking, and they are cheap:

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/wholeoatgroats50lb.aspx

Hide your food storage well on the day..

Looks very similar to shelf reliance. You can save on shipping and pick up direct at your nearest costco.

<broken link removed>

I would recommend trying some to see how well you could use ALL of the products...If there are products in the line that you would use in a regular rotation, then buy a years supply of those...

On the other hand....I could see an emergency where supplies to share/sell/barter with could be handy....

Even dried fish is valuable to those that have none...

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/food_storage/year_supply_of_food_deluxe.htm

I am sitting on the fence about this purchase. Looking for any input as to whether I should or shouldn't.

Thanks in advance,

SF-

Dude... MRE's... you got access to 'em, just requisition an extra case (or three) for each FTX and yer set (OK, I kid, I kid)... BTW- I hear they now come with M&M's and Trappy's (or is it Tobasco brand?) hot sauce now... I used to carry a bottle of that stuff in my BDU cargo pocket on deployments and FTX's! :D

Personally, I think you ought to just raid the canned food and dry goods sections at the commissary (Ft. Lewis' is pretty decent, except for those "one way" grocery isles... have to flippin' zig-zag everywhere... LOL) to achieve the same thing and probably pay less. Maybe take that list and see what you can come close to with on post sources first.

It's heavy on the TVP (Textured Vegetable Proteins)

If you have and LDS (Mormon) friends you can get a lot of the stuff in the package you're looking at for a lot less.

There's an LDS home storage supply center near you in Kent.

Here's the order form w/prices.

<broken link removed>

These guys have decent prices on MRE Tray Packs.
<broken link removed>

sf, one thing that I would look at is the shelf life of the product. I have 50-60 cans of mountain house #10. It has the best shelf that I know of. (25-30 years) Unless you plan on eating this and changing out your product. But if you just want this as a emergency food storage, I would recommend mountain house. Just my 2 cents.

If you have and LDS (Mormon) friends you can get a lot of the stuff in the package you're looking at for a lot less.

There's an LDS home storage supply center near you in Kent.

Here's the order form w/prices.

<broken link removed>

Do you have to be LDS in order to purchase from them?

SF-

I would rather buy from Mountain House, they are also known as Oregon Freeze Dried and are out of Albany, OR. You can get their #10 food and pick and choose what you want. It lasts up to 30 years and you can actually get pre mixed food. Plus you can just buy smaller amount and not have to have 800 pounds shipped to you at once.

Check out thesurvivalpodcast.com They have forums, but more importantly, the mantra is "store what you eat, eat what you store" I store a bit of food and have no TVP, etc.

It's dried fruit, beans, grains, canned goods, both things I canned my self and store bought.

I will be getting some canned bacon and powdered eggs, but that's about it. I just slowly stocked up over time.

Do you have to be LDS in order to purchase from them?

SF-

Nope, I had some LDS friends invite me to attend a canning session.

It's part of a multi-layered food storage system I use.

For short term I have about a month of store bought foods.
I can add some of the LDS items like rice and noodles to extend these foods.

Longer term I have MRE's and the MRE Squad Meals.

Longest term are the LDS Rice, Beans, Noodles etc with a 30yr self life.
Along with a bunch of Mountain House #10 cans.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/food_storage/year_supply_of_food_deluxe.htm I am sitting on the fence about this purchase. Looking for any input as to whether I should or shouldn't.

Thanks in advance,

SF-

Mountain House is my choice as well.

I can't tell what the expiration of the product you linked is. That is something which is critical....unless you're like real old already. For instance, Mountain House in packets is good for 5-7 years, while the very same product in #10 tins is 25-30 (storage dependent, but you get the point). With that in mind, if or when the SHTF, are you going to go looking for cooking oil and wood to cook this stuff up? With Mt House, it's a sure think that you only need to add hot water and you have great food quickly with no muss/fuss and effort.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/food_storage/year_supply_of_food_deluxe.htm

I am sitting on the fence about this purchase. Looking for any input as to whether I should or shouldn't.

Thanks in advance,

SF-

Are you already using 'wheat' as a regular part of your diet? Do you have the means and knowledge to transform the wheat into a usable/edible product?
How much Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) is in your normal diet any given day?

If these items are not the NORM for you now they should not be in your food storage plans. Store only what you eat, and eat what you store. If your diet does not already have alot of grains (ie wheat) you need to introduce them to your regular diet slowly. All that fiber at once will give you severe diarrhea, not a condition you want in an emergency.
Another reason to store familiar type foods is if you try to introduce a foreign food into your diet at a high stress time, your body will refuse it by losing its appetite. Think about the lack of eating during high stress times (ie. divorce, loss of a loved one, moving, etc) now multiply that with unfamiliar foods!

If you regularly use this type of stuff in your meals, then by all means go for it if you feel the pricing is right. I would never fault someone for having a well thought out food storage program, just know what you are getting and be honest about your abilities/willingness to use it all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top