JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, just today I bought my first BP rifle at the ARPC gun show, a beautiful looking Thompson Center Hawken in .54 caliber. I've been watching channels like capandball as well as hickock45 and I always see them using a separate ramrod from the one included with the rifle. I was wondering if anyone here could let me know if it's fine to use the included rod or if I need to buy a separate one for loading.

7BBC36A8-6E01-44C9-A259-A97943400BE5.jpeg

For target shooting at the bench, in the woods or at a range its a good idea to have a separate ramrod for loading, cleaning etc. - and keep the stock one included with the rifle in it's 'thimbles' - and use it for when you are hunting, field shooting etc. I use a 'variation' of a shotgun cleaning rod for this purpose.

Typically the ramrods on some older muzzleloaders were made from pine dowel and do not last too long if used consistently for loading, however there are some better, modern ones made from UHMW that will last forever - but not too traditional!

I have made many new ramrods over the years for my ML rifles!

Last Edited:
keep the stock one included with the rifle in it's 'thimbles' - and use it for when you are hunting, field shooting etc.
That's what I was most concerned about, as I wanted to possibly use this for hunting. Glad to know it'll be fine to use for the field and that I don't always need to have a spare rod hanging around.

I dislike the use of a "range rod"...its unneeded in most cases.
I use the actual ramrod that is on the rifle for my shooting and loading.

Most folks nowadays use a much thicker patch and ball combination than what was used in the past , when muzzle loading rifles were the only rifles.
This thicker patch and ball combo may make the use of a range rod desirable...I prefer to shoot in a more traditional manner.

With all that said...
A over sized ram rod is handy for pulling a patch and ball that was loaded without powder or for use as a cleaning rod.
Andy

I dislike the use of a "range rod"...its unneeded in most cases.
I use the actual ramrod that is on the rifle for my shooting and loading.

Most folks nowadays use a much thicker patch and ball combination than what was used in the past , when muzzle loading rifles were the only rifles.
This thicker patch and ball combo may make the use of a range rod desirable...I prefer to shoot in a more traditional manner.

With all that said...
A over sized ram rod is handy for pulling a patch and ball that was loaded without powder or for use as a cleaning rod.
Andy
I definitely like the idea of not carrying another rod with me in the woods, is there any average for how many shots I can expect to get off before fouling makes loading impossible? I've heard that can be an issue

I definitely like the idea of not carrying another rod with me in the woods, is there any average for how many shots I can expect to get off before fouling makes loading impossible? I've heard that can be an issue
Fouling will be dependent on :
Powder...
Rifling...
How many shots you have fired...
Weather can always play a role here.
And....
Each rifle will foul differently.

For shooting at a rifle match...with say 20 -30 shots...fouling will be a factor.....
When hunting , not so much.
Andy

Personally I use a Traditions Lightning Rod for the range which does double duty as my shotgun cleaning rod since it is supplied with the appropriate jig adapter.

Since this topic has come up. What's a reliable quality source for field rod replacements?

@Andy54Hawken
The plastic ramrod on my Lyman Trade Rifle was a POS. I took the brass end off, found a straight oak dowel that matched its diameter. Stained, oiled and waxed it, put the brass cap on, secured with a brass brad, and it is now my range and hunting rod. It has discolored some with use over the years, but I think that's part of its charm. I expect in a few, I'll sand it and do another finish treatment.

Edit to add: I found that beeswax - softened, rubbed on and then heated with a hair dryer (I use a heat gun), then the excess peeled off - is the best wax and improves the grip on the rod.

...found a straight oak dowel that matched its diameter. Stained, oiled and waxed it,...it is now my range and hunting rod.
That's what I'm running on my main. I think this one is number 2. ;)

I've always meant to do an actual reproduction replacement though. Just haven't gotten around to it and haven't kept up with the market to know where to go for one. I've been browsing some of Andy's suggestions.

If it ain't broke... right.

For, "Range" use, I use anything in the way of a straight grained dowel, as they get pretty gummed up. I have several rods for cleaning, with worms and jags etc. I leave the, "pretty ones" for display, as I don't hunt with my muzzle loaders. :s0093:

Unlike Andy who is a traditionalist and a collector. I build and shoot my muzzle loaders for my own amusement and amazement. :s0092::)

A 12 Ga shotgun cleaning rod makes a great range rod with the right tips for loading and then becomes a good cleaning rod given you can use larger brushes and bore mops.

Also the 'T' style handle on most shotgun rods really assists loading your bullet, or ball/patch combo if it is a bit tight.

If you choose a 12 ga rod get one with the 'solid' 'T' handle and NOT a hollow one as it will eventually break!

Oh, and don't forget a bullet/ball 'starter' rod as well!

That's what I'm running on my main. I think this one is number 2. ;)

I've always meant to do an actual reproduction replacement though. Just haven't gotten around to it and haven't kept up with the market to know where to go for one. I've been browsing some of Andy's suggestions.

If it ain't broke... right.
Thinking back on it, mine's not oak, but hickory. Oak is too soft. Also had to turn down the tip so the brass cap could fit perfectly.
Can't remember whether I bought it at Rockler or Woodcrafters.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top