JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't been in the area very long, and now my job has me working from home. Due to tax benefits and other obvious issues with Portland, I'm thinking of heading up around the Vancouver area.

From what I can tell the firearm laws are fairly similar, aside from WA requiring attending a class before purchasing guns. Is there anything I should be aware of moving up there, like requirements to bring in certain guns or major new laws in the works? Seems like the move is all upside considering the state Portland is in these days.

Last Edited:
I was house hunting in the Vancouver/Washougal area earlier and I will tell you that finding a good house in this area is difficult because a lot of people moved in recently. The inventory level when I was looking (around Feb this year) was very small, making the house hunt very challenging.

I ended up looking further north and buying a house in Auburn, WA instead.

So if there's a con in moving further north, it will be the difficulty in finding a house you like to buy.

OR: No sales tax, but has state income tax
WA: Has sales tax, but no state income tax (for now)
Gun laws pretty similar, although many would say that OR is a teensy weensy bit more friendly toward gun owners. YMMV.
The bullsh!t I-1639 class can be taken free online from just about anyone. Sporting Systems, a supporter of this site, offers a free online class. You only need to take the class once. The certificate will allow you to purchase multiple firearms over time. You do NOT have to take the class for each purchase.

Every year the azzholes in Olympia bring forth ludicrous rights-infringing bills, but most fail in committee. Mag cap limits, ammo taxes, S/A rifle bans, all the usual suspects. Expect that anywhere and everywhere on the Left Coast...

Welcome to The Board, by the way...

Hey, @sobo... I'm planning a move to eastern OR myself, Hermiston, Pendleton, or somewhere in between. I've lived in Tri-Cities before and the tax situation is favorable (job is in Hermie, lived there for about 7 yrs too) to me but I've stopped looking for a house up there... swore I'd never live in WA as long as Inslee is there.

FF a year+ and the house hunting is getting frustrating and tedious. I'm thinking about broadening my search to include TC now... I'll cross my fingers for Inslee's early forced retirement.

All things being equal, would you stay in WA or make the jump to OR if given the chance? Both of my sons moved back to Hermiston/Stanfield and I now have a granddaughter so ID and TX got pulled as choices #1 and 2, they're off the table for now.

Whaddaya think?

I haven't been in the area very long, and now my job has me working from home. Due to tax benefits and other obvious issues with Portland, I'm thinking of heading up around the Vancouver area.

From what I can tell the firearm laws are fairly similar, aside from WA requiring attending a class before purchasing guns. Is there anything I should be aware of moving up there, like requirements to bring in certain guns or major new laws in the works? Seems like the move is all upside considering the state Portland is in these days.
Kind of like going from Shawshank to rickers island

I asked the Dean of Geography Department at Oregon State that very question for you....

.... They said, "Depends on whether he, like, wants to, y'know?' continue living on the, like, Pacific coast or, like, maybe switch to living on the Atlantic coast were, y'know?, the sun, like, rises in the west. Really, y'know?, it comes down to if he's, like, a "morning person" and if he, like, has y'know?, a gender preference that may be served by re-locating to, like, y'know, the southern border area for the effect it has on the spin of his Coriolis, y'know?'"

So, there you have it...:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Hey, @sobo... I'm planning a move to eastern OR myself, Hermiston, Pendleton, or somewhere in between. I've lived in Tri-Cities before and the tax situation is favorable (job is in Hermie, lived there for about 7 yrs too) to me but I've stopped looking for a house up there... swore I'd never live in WA as long as Inslee is there.

FF a year+ and the house hunting is getting frustrating and tedious. I'm thinking about broadening my search to include TC now... I'll cross my fingers for Inslee's early forced retirement.

All things being equal, would you stay in WA or make the jump to OR if given the chance? Both of my sons moved back to Hermiston/Stanfield and I now have a granddaughter so ID and TX got pulled as choices #1 and 2, they're off the table for now.

Whaddaya think?
If I were going to move to OR, the only places I would put under consideration would be as far away from the coast as possible. I'd find a place in the sticks like Elgin, Minam, Wallowa, Enterprise, Joseph, Troy, etc. La Grande might not be too bad, since it's got highway access for your truck. Ask @bbbass about La Grande.

If you lived in the Tri-Cities and worked in OR, you could live without paying a state income tax.
If you live in OR, you can shop in WA and NOT pay WA state sales tax. We get Oregonians coming up here to shop all the time.
But if you lived in WA, you could just do your shopping in OR on your work days and pay no sales tax.

Last Edited:
If you live in OR, you can shop in WA and NOT pay WA state sales tax. We get Oregonians coming up here to shop all the time.
But if you lived in WA, you could justs do your shopping in OR on your work days and pay no sales tax.
I thought Inslee put the kabash on the OR resident sales tax exemption last year... ? I remember thinking that it was a colossally stupid and typically short-sided money-grab that wouldn't benefit the government at all and hurt businesses once Oregonians stopped shopping in WA. Maybe he just floated it but never went through with it.

I like LaGrande but it's a little further away (from Hermiston, kids, grandkid(s)) than I'd like to get. Pendleton or TC is about as far as I wanna go. Just looked at some prices and they're no cheaper than Hermie at the moment... crazy real estate prices right now. The main attraction to WA is the state income tax exemption for OR workers.

Last Edited:
I thought Inslee put the kabash on the OR resident sales tax exemption last year... ? I remember thinking that it was a colossally stupid and typically short-sided money-grab that wouldn't benefit the government at all and hurt businesses once Oregonians stopped shopping in WA. Maybe he just floated it but never went through with it.
Wasn't aware of any of that either way it went, but since 1) I don't pay a lick of attention to anything Jackboot Jay says, and 2) I don't get the sales tax exemption, putting the kibosh on it wouldn't have meant anything to me anyway.

Is your employer an Oregon company?

If so, talk to a tax professional. Worth the 1 hour of their time.

Won't need to pay OR taxes, already triple checked that. I do need to stay in range of the office for now, unfortunately, otherwise I'd be escaping to somewhere a bit more sane.

We finally made the move. It was the estate tax that did it. Washington is pretty reasonable, Oregon really punishes you with that. Don't die in Oregon, unless you live on the street! :rolleyes:

If I had to drive across the river every day, I wouldn't do it. Other than that, I like Vancouver. Used to live in Hillsboro and Beaverton for many years. I still like Oregon. I am about as close as I can get to Oregon without actually living in Oregon about 300 yards from the border.

Every state is ruled by psychopathic sadists and thugs.

Congratz and welcome to the People's Republik of Washington!

Don't forget to update your location in your settings! :)

Whaddaya think?

La Grande is nice. It's quiet and a beautiful valley. Not as hot as Herm, much lower crime rate. Less Covid. lol

Didn't read the entire thread... would you be driving to a job in Herm??? It's about an hour and a half drive from La Grande. That would kill it for me, I spent years in the L.A. traffic and swore I would never drive like that again.

Ooops, read your other post... LG is out. Well, come have a beer with me anyway!!!

I'd find a place in the sticks like Elgin, Minam, Wallowa, Enterprise, Joseph, Troy, etc. La Grande might not be too bad, since it's got highway access for your truck. Ask @bbbass about La Grande.

Nobody has lived at Minam since the store closed. There could be some properties nearby, but there isn't a town of Minam really. ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top