JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A small factor to look at.......

Ask your H&R Block tax guy. What will your tax filing costs you in WA vs OR? Because of the amount of extra paperwork.....well, I was quoted an extra $50-$100.

BTW.....I'm retired from Hawaii. When I moved....I chose Vancouver, WA as my new home. BUT.....back then, there was much more FREEDOM (speaking of firearms).

Additional factors to consider:
Taxes (already mentioned)
Education (for you and/or the kids)
Travel (Airport access or major Freeway access)
Medical (Hospitals, VA, etc...)
Recreation (what do you like to do)
Safety (Portland...is a $#@*hole)
Government Services (PPB is F@#*ed)
Add whatever else you like to the list.

Choose wisely grasshopper.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I worked at a Boeing plant in Oregon and lived in Washington for a while. When I worked at the Portland Boeing plant, Oregon taxed me for each day I worked there, but was not taxed when I worked remotely from Washington. You will definitely want to know how you will be taxed. No sense paying OR income tax, and paying WA sales tax.

Nobody has lived at Minam since the store closed. There could be some properties nearby, but there isn't a town of Minam really. ;)
Great! Perfect place for me to buy a spread, then!

I used to fly fish (C&R) the Wallowa just below Minam 30 years ago. Would park at the Minam/Wallowa confluence and walk the railroad tracks downstream along the right bank of the Wallowa for about 2 to 2/-1/2 miles. There's a huge hole about 3/4-mile below Minam State Park (on the opposite shore) that's full of lunker steelhead in the fall. Find the short cliff/undercut on the right bank at a sharp bend in the river to the left, and cast across the river above the hole and let it drift in... WHAMMO!

Last Edited:
Great! Perfect place for me to buy a spread, then!

I used to fly fish (C&R) the Wallowa just below Minam 30 years ago. Would park at the Minam/Wallowa confluence and walk the railroad tracks downstream along the right bank of the Wallowa for about 2 to 2/-1/2 miles. There's a huge hole about 3/4-mile below Minam State Park (on the opposite shore) that's full of lunker steelhead in the fall. Find the short cliff/undercut on the right bank at a sharp bend in the river to the left, and cast across the river above the hole and let it drift in... WHAMMO!

SHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Yeah, there are to this day a lot of people that like to walk the tracks downstream from the bridge/motel. That spot is also a popular place for jet boats to come up from the Grande Ronde in the winter.

I've fished most of the Wallowa for either steelies or trout. Worms or corkie or corkie/yarn or yarn only or calamari, or steelhead flies, for steelhead. Mepps Aglia #1 or #0 for trout. I never had much luck with bobber and jig at the State Park, always found somebody sitting on the hole 24/7 taking the best spot. The bridge at Big Sheep hatchery was way overcrowded, so I started going above the bridge and stream entrance, getting as far out in the river as I could wade, then backtrolling a small Hot Shot back towards the stream. Nailed em for two years before I got old enough that I had balance problems and couldn't do it anymore. People used to get mad at me and wade into the river below my drift. Steelheaders can be A-holes at times.

When I still owned the drift boat that I bought while living in Brookings, I used to drift the Grande Ronde from Minam Store, to the takeout above Troy, at least twice a year. The last time we went, we had a party of four in the boat, with all our camping gear, in low water July. It was 3 days of rowing, and a bit of portaging, to avoid rocks and low spots. Not fun. When the powers that be decided that we had to pack our schit out in a five gallon bucket or such, that was enough for me. Imagine tossing around in the rapid with a bucket full of human waste tossing around in the boat. :eek::eek::eek:

I miss fishing. Thinking about trading in the 5th wheel trailer for a van/camper so I can pull a small boat. I don't miss my 20' 150hp, but a nice aluminum 17'-18' with up to 80hp would be sweet. But camp spots are pretty full today, so IDK.

Last Edited:
The only boats I've ever owned, you needed a double-bladed paddle and they weren't set up to fish from...
(pic circa 1990 or so, Boxcar Rapids, Deschutes River, OR)
Sobo_Boxcar_Deschutes.JPG
I did own hip waders, and that's what got me out into the rivers and creeks around here. I always liked to come down the tracks at Minam cuz all of the other folks were driving to Minam State Park and fishing from there. They never ventured very far from the park. I would walk by the park along the tracks on the other side of the river from them, and they would look at me like I'm crazy, cuz I could've driven to where they were, if I wanted to be on the same side of the river as them. Thing was, when I fished, I wanted to fish alone. REALLY alone. Not a soul in sight. Half of fishing for me is just to be alone, in nature, and listening/feeling it all around me. So that's why I hoofed it the extra 2 miles, so I could be alone on my side of the river.

Ooops, read your other post... LG is out. Well, come have a beer with me anyway!!!
I was in your patch over Memorial Day weekend. Spent 4 days camping north of Hilgard... roughly Mt Emily. It's an annual trip, lot o fun.

If my sons weren't in Hermie I'd be inclined to move on. I can transfer just about anywhere in the country... a coin-toss brought me to OR from AZ (other contenders were UT and pre-Hickenlooper CO) but the EO is where I landed. I like the desert but it's not for everyone.
I'll have to look you up when I get back out there for good... eyeballing a house in Umatilla right now. River views and not a GD tree for miles... like I said, it's not for everyone.
:s0158::s0071::s0059:

I was in your patch over Memorial Day weekend. Spent 4 days camping north of Hilgard... roughly Mt Emily. It's an annual trip, lot o fun.

If my sons weren't in Hermie I'd be inclined to move on. I can transfer just about anywhere in the country... a coin-toss brought me to OR from AZ (other contenders were UT and pre-Hickenlooper CO) but the EO is where I landed. I like the desert but it's not for everyone.
I'll have to look you up when I get back out there for good... eyeballing a house in Umatilla right now. River views and not a GD tree for miles... like I said, it's not for everyone.
:s0158::s0071::s0059:

My hunting partners from Bend used to come and camp up Summit Rd. on Mt. Emily. Above Five Points Creek. It was a good time but they went back to Ukiah unit, now they're not hunting NE OR due to family health issues.

I like Sonoran desert. Lots of interesting plants/trees.

Yup, let's get together when you get here. Might be able to find something to do. :)

Last Edited:

No more "WAMMO". Be happy that you got to experience those pleasures in years past. Those fish up there have to go by here first, and there ain't squat of a steelhead run these last few years.

No more "WAMMO". Be happy that you got to experience those pleasures in years past. Those fish up there have to go by here first, and there ain't squat of a steelhead run these last few years.

I haven't fished local steelhead for a few years now. Even so, it was nice knowing others (locals) could go. This is a sad thought indeed that is only mitigated by discouraging them dang westsiders!!!

Last Edited:
If I were going to move to OR, the only places I would put under consideration would be as far away from the coast as possible. I'd find a place in the sticks like Elgin, Minam, Wallowa, Enterprise, Joseph, Troy, etc. La Grande might not be too bad, since it's got highway access for your truck. Ask @bbbass about La Grande.

If you lived in the Tri-Cities and worked in OR, you could live without paying a state income tax.
If you live in OR, you can shop in WA and NOT pay WA state sales tax. We get Oregonians coming up here to shop all the time.
But if you lived in WA, you could just do your shopping in OR on your work days and pay no sales tax.
If I were going to move to OR, the only places I would put under consideration would be as far away from the coast as possible. I'd find a place in the sticks like Elgin, Minam, Wallowa, Enterprise, Joseph, Troy, etc. La Grande might not be too bad, since it's got highway access for your truck. Ask @bbbass about La Grande.

If you lived in the Tri-Cities and worked in OR, you could live without paying a state income tax.
If you live in OR, you can shop in WA and NOT pay WA state sales tax. We get Oregonians coming up here to shop all the time.
But if you lived in WA, you could just do your shopping in OR on your work days and pay no sales tax.

LOL. Nonsense. The Oregon Coast is a great place to live.

What in the hell is your avatar pic??? o_Oo_Oo_O

Is that a doughnut w/sprinkles on your pooch's nose? That's gotta be some form of animal cruelty in at least 37 states! :s0140:

Ah, similar to this one that's been floating around this site...
wolf-encounter-humans-for-food-warm-what-could-go-wrong-10000-years-later-pug-in-birthday-hat.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top