JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am wanting a handgun for defensive purposes. Mainly because I don't have any pistol with a light rail, and that seems better than having to hold a flashlight with my support hand.

I also want a relatively cheap pistol, where in the unlikely case it ever gets used defensively, I won't care if the police hold it indefinitely.

I am also intentionally looking at pistols which hold ten rounds standard, for a couple of different reasons I'm sure most of you understand.

I've fired Glocks before and they point well enough for me, and 45ACP is a comfortable caliber for me to shoot. I like the slimmer slide and grip of the 30s. It has a light rail. It holds ten rounds.

Any reason not to buy one?

None! The Glock 30 is a great platform I've had a G-30 for 25 years now. It's one of my "Never sell" guns
I've won GSSF matches with it and have carried it in my car or RV for self defense for at least 20 years. It is a solid, reliable and accurate pistol.

I've had one for decades now. The finger grooves don't fit my hand so... I ground them off.
Literally the only negative I could come up with.
Years ago I picked up a KKM conversion bbl to run 10mm. A lot of fun.
It's never choked on a factory round in either caliber. Ever.
EDIT to add, Mine was a G30, later with a G36 slide assembly. 10mm only worked with the G30 slide.

Last Edited:
Well...I mean...Glocks are ugly as sin. We're talking red headed stepchild ugly and/or crap-house door off a tuna boat ugly. So there's that. :)

In all seriousness, something that small in 45 acp...go rent one and shoot it before you spend the money. You'll figure out whether it's a good buy or not in 20 minutes and more so than anything any of us can tell you. Small guns can be pretty snappy...and/or downright miserable to shoot...especially in 45acp. You may not like the way it shoots. Also rent a similar M&P so that you can have something to compare it to.

I am currently looking for a G30S...I want the SF grip with the narrower slide.
The G30S is NOT a G30....feels totally different.
G30=fat slide, 'yuge fat grip.
G30SF=fat slide, skinny grip.
G30S= skinny slide, skinny grip.
(Skinny grip, or SF, is shorter front to back)
Every G30S I shot has been phenominally accurate....especially so for a small pistol.
Also, they've been very soft, and controllable for a 45....I prefer 230 grain rounds.
Rent one and try it...you will like it.

Joe

Glock has a great reputation for reliability, if you like them get one, IMO i would go with 9mm but it is America still. They do have the most accessories available. It is always nice to be able to easily buy all the other things that go along with your purchase for your intended use like holsters, sights ect. And my recommendation is get lots of training/practice in on it. Buy lots of ammo and shoot it. I also really like the "Johnny Glocks" custom triggers as well. That changed mine night and day. Enjoy!

The only downside I can think of is the lighter G36 slide has less reciprocating mass will translate to higher velocity, therefore more felt recoil and a little more wear and tear on the gun compared to the G30 & G30SF. It is still the one I'd go with. As a bonus they typically fit in G19 holsters, of which there are plenty.

Yes there is a problem with the 30s

Its short, fat and ugly and the trigger sucks as do all Glocks, then to top it off its in 45acp and not in "the wonderful 9mm" and it pinches my palm between the mag and the frame as I shoot it.

But its not for me, its for you so if you like the fit and feel of it, then by all means get one and enjoy it..

Its short, fat and ugly and the trigger sucks as do all Glocks, then to top it off its in 45acp and not in "the wonderful 9mm" and it pinches my palm between the mag and the frame as I shoot it.

But its not for me, its for you so if you like the fit and feel of it, then by all means get one and enjoy it..
The only downside I can think of is the lighter G36 slide has less reciprocating mass will translate to higher velocity, therefore more felt recoil and a little more wear and tear on the gun compared to the G30 & G30SF. It is still the one I'd go with. As a bonus they typically fit in G19 holsters, of which there are plenty.
Seems like the G 30S will work for me if it fits my hand. I am guessing, if it fits G19 holsters, it will. Or at least well enough for practical purposes.

Sounds like I need to shoot one. I would be surprised if my range did not have at least some kinda G30.

Thanks all for responding - lots of good advice and questions.

Seems like the G 30S will work for me if it fits my hand. I am guessing, if it fits G19 holsters, it will. Or at least well enough for practical purposes.

Sounds like I need to shoot one. I would be surprised if my range did not have at least some kinda G30.

Thanks all for responding - lots of good advice and questions.
G30 and G30S do not feel the same.

Joe

Personally, I'd have more G21 mags than G30 mags and only use the G30 mags for CCW backed by G21 mags.

I guess I should have said I do own and operate Glocks and carry a 43X now, from my 19 but the 30 and recently shooting my buddy's 30s it does pinch my palm.

Running bigger mags would help but defeats the purpose of a small gun

Never really been a 45 fan as 9 was always cheaper to shoot and I like to shoot.

Daily carry may be a problem but that's subjective as is ammo costs these days. Considering accuracy, reliability and fire power I can't think of a pistol that inspires more confidence in a defensive scenario.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top