JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe there are plenty of public ranges where all you need are dead presidents on green paper to shoot. Private ranges require NRA membership for a whole host of reasons. You have an objection to NRA membership?

Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center, Threat Dynamics, SafeFire.

Unfortunately none of them offer an excess of 100 yards.

If you want to do shots like that you could go to the gravel pit at browns camp. I think thats about 250 yards deep.

thanks, I frequent the forest spots, but sometimes its hard to get an open lane at browns. Even then, I only have a couple gongs on one stand, not one at every 50-100 yards, going 300-500+ yards deep.

I have family in Bend, So I think I'll get a membership at the range east of town there. It goes out to 1000, is cheaper than the local ones, and does not require any NRA affiliation.

As for the NRA, its just not really my thing. I'll support local ranges if they allow me, local groups like trash no land, and local advocacy groups and such.

thanks, I frequent the forest spots, but sometimes its hard to get an open lane at browns. Even then, I only have a couple gongs on one stand, not one at every 50-100 yards, going 300-500+ yards deep.

I have family in Bend, So I think I'll get a membership at the range east of town there. It goes out to 1000, is cheaper than the local ones, and does not require any NRA affiliation.

As for the NRA, its just not really my thing. I'll support local ranges if they allow me, local groups like trash no land, and local advocacy groups and such.

Part of the reason they require NRA membership is that the NRA helps support those ranges - developing the sites, assistance with safety and insurance, help teaching classes, keeping up on maintenance and improvements. Lots of reasons the NRA is a benefit, even if you don't necessarily like their politics. Remember, the NRA is still the single largest gun safety group in the country. That alone is enough for me to support them.

makes sense, I'll have to try out some local spots as a guest and maybe reevaluate my decisions.

The range by Bend also does not have a waiting list, and is available 7 days a week. Only looking for once every month or two long range sessions. Plus its hard to beat my moms cooking and fishing with the pops. I can even van camp at the range, I imagine sunrise on a weekday is as nice as can be out there.

I can not say this is true or not. Most non profit ranges may require you to get or be a member at initial set up, but from what I've heard, they don't check after that.

Besides it's not like you're joining a cult or something by becoming an NRA member. As much as some gun owners bad mouth them, they are the biggest fighter we've got. Frankly I feel like those gun owners that bad mouth the NRA are simply victims of the anti-gun establishments propaganda.

I've been to Beavercreek Armory and Threat Dynamics and neither asked me for my NRA membership.
Beaver creek requires a NRA membership if you buy their membership package. Not to use their range.

However both of these are private owned public ranges.

I appreciate not only the political advocacy of the NRA, but also the gun safety programs (obviously; that's why I am a benefactor member). I get that not everyone agrees, and I am not going to try to beat anyone up over my beliefs. I personally believe they are worth my time and money. I would hate to lose our 2nd Amendment rights and not feel I had done everything I could to prevent it.

Both ranges I am a member of, they require proof of membership on annual renewal, so I wouldn't bet on beating the system by doing a one up and done approach.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top