Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any public places to do reloading?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bugeye, Jan 26, 2010.

1. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

OK, this is probably a dumb question, but are there any places in Oregon that are open to the public, for payment, where you can use reloading equipment?

I'd love to start reloading but I have no room at my place.

2. toolfan

toolfan North Portland Member

Lee makes a hand press that you don't need to mount.

You could reload at your kitchen table pretty easily.

3. bugeye

Does this do a quality job?

4. toolfan

toolfan North Portland Member

I've never used one. I've heard of bench rest guys using them though.

It will be slower, and I imagine it takes some force on the lever, but it'll get the job done.

5. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Midway sells a portable reloading stand that you mount your press to.

6. speelyei

speelyei Willamette Valley Active Member

yes, it works fine. I used it to full length re-size and decap .30-06, 30-30, and .308.
    This kit is much improved by adding a balance beam scale, a powder trickler, a set of dial calipers, and a pad for lubricating cases. A priming tool will keep you from having to handle the primers and speed the process considerably. You will also need to buy a case trimmer eventually.

7. bugeye

Thanks, I've got the calipers, lol.
    I think I'm going to visit my gun nut neighbor and ask him to teach me how to reload.

8. bugeye

I suppose it is liability that prevents someone from opening a public reloading parlor? But seeing as I can go somewhere to brew beer or wash my dog, it seems like it might be a viable business. I asked a gun store owner about this idea and he said that it wouldn't work because reloaders are cheap, lol.

9. DSbur

DSbur Vancouver WA Member

I noticed at Clark Rifles in Vancouver that behind the #3 range (300yd) that there is a well managed room with reloading equipment in it. Whether it is available to those who shoot there I don't know. Several presses, a few scales, a lot of cabinets of stuff. I know that when this stuff was in the 'office' building it was available to anyone who shot there.

I know I can 'borrow' spotting scopes and I think chronographs also.

I'm not a member, don't get to shoot there enough to justify $100/yr. Good folks and nice range.

http://www.clarkrifles.org/

10. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

I have the Lee Hand Press. I'm not sure I want to full length re-size a large rifle caliber with it repeatedly but for smaller calibers and pistol calibers it will do the trick.

Hand Press, a decent scale (I like the RCBS Digital), a hand primer (nice to have), a set of calipers, and some dies and you are good for making some nice target rounds. But then you will be hooked and it will be easy to justify more stuff. ;)

11. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

For this route,you will also need loading blocks..you can make them..to stand the primed brass up in for dumping in the scooped powder.And a flashlight to inspect the level of said dumped powder.
    If you have a reason to go to longview,wa they usually have a hand press in stock.

12. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I too have been following:

going to get into reloading.
    Case trimmer:
    Function and purpose?

13. jmh119

jmh119 Hillsboro, Oregon Member

Cases have a min. and max. length requirement. A case trimmer is used to cut those cases that are too long back to a usable size. You can also get special 3 way cutters that will not only trim to length but also cut the outside and inside of the neck too.
    James

14. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Yes, that would be a good idea. The Lee stuff is all really reasonably priced and probably "good enough" for learning on.

A tumbler is also a good idea. You could probably do OK with a Harbor Freight one but Bi-Mart has the Frankford Arsenal one and it has done fine for me.