JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So long story short this is literally the only way I can mount the scope with this mount set ("back to back") unless I want a fixed zoom scope. Any problems or am I good?
20180102_130735.jpg

You have the front ring on the rail and the back ring on the receiver. This is not optimal and has the potential for causing issues with your scope holding zero. If it was me I would try and trade those rings for a 1-piece mount.

Bad idea. Bridging the receiver/ barrel gap with a mount will hurt
your accuracy in my experience. Barrel and receiver in perfect
alignment not to put stress on the scope? :confused: One piece mount bolted to
the receiver will work best for you. I Like the 1 piece PEPR mounts
heavy duty 1 piece 2" offset. I use Vortex 3 inch offset puts the dot
sight forward enough to shoot prone with AR. :cool:
upload_2018-1-2_18-8-52.png
opplanet-vortex-cantilever-ring-mount-for-30mm-tube-cm-203.jpg

I use the nikon two piece p series mount on my AR for mounting my nikon 3-9 p223 scope. I was able to get both mounts on the receiver. Seems to for properly to me.

I would not do that. I bet if you checked those rings with alignment bars they would be quite misaligned. This will wreak havoc with the zero as the scope will be under tension. I would find the proper ring and optics combo that puts the mount all on the upper receiver picatinny.

X12 scope mag with 3.7in eye relief. Moved both back to the upper receiver just a little close to the charging handle although I can still operate it. First time buying a mount so I did not put as much thought into it as I clearly needed to.
20180102_194953.jpg

I would ditch that mount altogether TBO. Take it from a guy that had to send a scope and a Burris P.E.P.R. one piece to Vortex for lapping and mounting as I was all over the map at 100 yards. Even with me mounting and torquing to proper specs. I'm glad you at least moved them both to the upper rail section. Having them on separate base platforms is no bueno.

I would ditch that mount altogether TBO. Take it from a guy that had to send a scope and a Burris P.E.P.R. one piece to Vortex for lapping and mounting as I was all over the map at 100 yards. Even with me mounting and torquing to proper specs. I'm glad you at least moved them both to the upper rail section. Having them on separate base platforms is no bueno.
o wow i didnt know vortex lapped it for you! thats awesome. i was thinking about buying a lapping kit... just to have one

o wow i didnt know vortex lapped it for you! thats awesome. i was thinking about buying a lapping kit... just to have one

After the tech determined that the glass was good, he had me ship the mount so he could lap it and mount the scope perfectly level in it via their jig. And a bubble level too. Free of charge. :cool:

After the tech determined that the glass was good, he had me ship the mount so he could lap it and mount the scope perfectly level in it via their jig. And a bubble level too. Free of charge. :cool:
best customer service ever!! im pretty sold on vortex.i have 3 of their scopes/optics now. all are solid.

im not knocking the OPs mount choice but im guessing that if OP put the lapping alignment tools in those rings it would be off and would require a "lap job." :D

im sold on 1 piece mounts. i prefer warne.

(i had nancys today BTW lol)

best customer service ever!! im pretty sold on vortex.i have 3 of their scopes/optics now. all are solid.

im not knocking the OPs mount choice but im guessing that if OP put the lapping alignment tools in those rings it would be off and would require a "lap job." :D

im sold on 1 piece mounts. i prefer warne.

(i had nancys today BTW lol)
My whole endeavor with the scope mount is proof I'm still new lol. First single piece mount I bought for this build was 30mm rather than 1in so now I have a spare mount from Redfield.

Then when I purchased this solution I didn't think to get one with a little higher clearance and further from charging handle.

I take my short comings this time as a learning experience for the Next!

Bad idea. Bridging the receiver/ barrel gap with a mount will hurt
your accuracy in my experience. Barrel and receiver in perfect
alignment not to put stress on the scope? :confused: One piece mount bolted to
the receiver will work best for you. I Like the 1 piece PEPR mounts
heavy duty 1 piece 2" offset. I use Vortex 3 inch offset puts the dot
sight forward enough to shoot prone with AR. :cool:
View attachment 417826
View attachment 417827
I have had good luck with that mount on my Bushmaster Varminter.

The most notable problem that comes to mind before firing it is the variances in manufacturing. Rails don't always match the upper (either wider, taller, shorter, or not lined up perfectly). Then when you do go shooting, the rail will flex differently than the upper. May not have issues at the start, but could cause problems later.

On the other hand, there's probably people who do bridge the gap without problems. It isn't ideal though.

The only thing that concerns me now is the alignment of the scope. I eyeballed it to as close as I possible could to make sure it was level with the rifle but it may be just a hair off (I just setup the rifle with the bipod and rolled the scope with my hands). Can I expect this to make a minimal impact to accuracy so long as its as close as I can get it? I would expect the further the distance the bigger the issue but I only expect to go out to 300ish yards.

Quick way to level reticle is to level rifle on kitchen counter or another flat spot using a small level on receiver picatinny. When choosing spot to level rifle point it towards something level like window sill and match scope reticle to it without disturbing rifle level. Recheck both before tightening rings. Verify level of sill or whatever you use for reference beforehand. This will get you pretty close to perfect.

Have you shot it? If it's like a coyote gun and shoots well, why not? Just have irons on the rig like a normal person in case you have to toss it in the crick.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top