JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm looking to have quite a bit of work done, including the replacement of a breaker box. Must be licensed and insured.

If you guys know anyone, please PM me.

Last Edited:
I am one, but only on a UN-offical level. Not licensed or insured. I do electrical on show sites. Single and three phase power. I have changed out panels before. It's actually pretty easy. Almost DIY. Just want to make sure the mains are off LOL....

When I was in your position, I contacted a few people on Craigslist. The highest quote I got was 1900, the lowest was 1100.

I went with the 1100 guy for a few reasons:

Price (but sometimes you get what you pay for).

He was low on jobs at the time and just needed work so it was not a quality issue + he was a small business without the high overhead of some of the larger companies.

Regardless of the job done, with electrical there is always an inspection that has to be passed.

Best of luck with your hunt!

I am one, but only on a UN-offical level. Not licensed or insured. I do electrical on show sites. Single and three phase power. I have changed out panels before. It's actually pretty easy. Almost DIY. Just want to make sure the mains are off LOL....

That's another way to go - as a home owner, you are entitled to do your own work after you pull a permit. When the work is done (even if you had "help" from a "friend") just schedule an inspection. If it passes then your insurance will cover any future issues if (hopefully not) they happen.

I would imagine Joe would like to have his home owners insurance continue to cover his home after the work. Hence the need for a licensed Bonded electrician. While you can do your own work on your own house. In order to do work on someone elses house especially for pay you have to be Licensed.

A building permit will also be required to the best of my knowledge.

I've done a lot of electrical work over the years but only for myself. Including wiring up my shop with 78 outlets on 4 different circuits to handle the machine tools in the shop. but I would never do work for someone else.

I am one and work for a large company in portland. But I'm aloud to help family are you family lol.
I charge T&M and or a bid whatever you need. I'll go the cheapest rout as far as I don't charge $97 an hr.
If the T&M is $2000 and the a bid is $1800 I go with what I bid. I do have references.
A breaker box Panel changeout is normal ya bid job due to can take 5hrs or 15hrs. It will be done the same day so your not out power for days on end like some people do only working 8 hrs a day.

When I was in your position, I contacted a few people on Craigslist. The highest quote I got was 1900, the lowest was 1100.

I went with the 1100 guy for a few reasons:

Price (but sometimes you get what you pay for).

He was low on jobs at the time and just needed work so it was not a quality issue + he was a small business without the high overhead of some of the larger companies.

Regardless of the job done, with electrical there is always an inspection that has to be passed.

Best of luck with your hunt!

For clarifications sake, the person I hired was licensed, bonded and insured

Haha, yeah the first panel I swapped out, I started about 3PM, and was done by dark. Wife was holding a flash light on the final assembly... But it was really no big deal, as long as your safe it's not that hard.

For clarifications sake, the person I hired was licensed, bonded and insured

Licensed yes
Bonded and insured no
Your insurance would 100% cover any issues even nothing would happen. As long as whoever did the work is licensed. And a permit was pulled as. I always have the homeowner pull the permit as it's cheaper.

If you do go with someone that is has his own bonded and insured company. You will be paying X3 the amount.
Panel changeout $1500-$2000 from me but don't know without looking.
Panel changeout with bonded and insured $3500-$4500.

One thing to consider is the size of the conducting wires from the meter mast.
If you're increasing the amperage size of the load center, then more then likely, you will be required to upgrade the meter mast conduit, the meter housing and the wires leading into the new load center.
That means PGE has to come out and hook up the new wires after it's been inspected by the city.
In the old days, you could pull the meter off the base and do a bootleg swap without PGE knowing anything, but now with the newer smart meters, they will show up within 24 hrs asking what's going on.

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of good information.

Unfortunately, it's a condo, and the HOA require a licensed and insured contractor do the work, if they'll be accessing a 'common area'. Said 'common area' will be the attic crawl space. Here's the list of what I want done, which I understand is quite extensive.
  1. Replace breaker box, if needed.
  2. Wire office outlets their own breaker, if needed.
  3. Install 4 additional outlets.
  4. Relocate bedroom power outlet 5' higher, for TV.
  5. Install 7 can lights in kitchen and living room (possibly more in office and bedroom).
  6. Replace and wire bathroom exhaust fan.
I appreciate everyone's input and advice, I really should start a remodel thread documenting exactly what I'm doing. Many of you would likely find it amusing, since I'm a complete beginner when it comes to any sort of home improvement. I sure do enjoy it, though!

I'm an electrician myself, but I've been out of the field, in the office for 10 years now. I work for one of the 'big' contractors in the PDX Metro area. We're fully licensed, bonded and insured. We won't be the cheapest, but I can put you in touch with the service dept. if you would like an estimate on your scope of work - they won't charge you to do an estimate. PM me if you want me get them your contact info.

Otherwise, start calling some contractors and getting some bids. You really need to get a feel for what the total cost of work will be. I've heard good things about Bear Electric from some residential folks that have had some work done. Unfortunately, based on your requirements, I'd say it's going to be unlikely that you'll find a discount contractor that can assist on your terms.

I'm an electrician myself, but I've been out of the field, in the office for 10 years now. I work for one of the 'big' contractors in the PDX Metro area. We're fully licensed, bonded and insured. We won't be the cheapest, but I can put you in touch with the service dept. if you would like an estimate on your scope of work - they won't charge you to do an estimate. PM me if you want me get them your contact info.

Otherwise, start calling some contractors and getting some bids. You really need to get a feel for what the total cost of work will be. I've heard good things about Bear Electric from some residential folks that have had some work done. Unfortunately, based on your requirements, I'd say it's going to be unlikely that you'll find a discount contractor that can assist on your terms.

Thanks for the info, I'll shoot you a PM.

I'm definitely not expecting a discount contractor on my terms. Wishful thinking early on!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top