JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you drink at the end of a long week? When it's time to kick back?

Right now I have:

18 year Johnnie Walker Gold Label. Almost gone. I'll have to sell a gun to finance a new bottle.

12 year Bowmore Isley. A bit stiff but mellows nicely with ice.

12 year Arberlour Double Cask. This is my favorite so far. I want to try the 15y, but it's a bit spendy.

12 year Highland Park. untried as of yet, but comes highly recomended.

Single malt Islays are my personal favourite. Bowmore is OK, a bargain for the price. So far, Laphroiag is top of the heap, to MY palate anyway.

One problem is living in Washington, where this stinking state government decides which ones come into the state and which don't. They just don't care to have much variety. Same thing with rum.... I've yet to see ANY really great rum at any Washington State liquor store. They just don't get it. Double entendre intentu.

I love visiting California when I've got spare cash. Find a BevMo and you've got a booze palace the size of our local Safeways, far cheaper than they let us have things here. And that's not even taking into account the bills in the Marble Zoo here in Olympia where they are threatening a HUGE increase in "sin tax" on alcohol for us still stupid or stuck enough to continue living here. What they'll do is cause ME to make my annual California trips when I have enough cash to lay in a year's supply. Stinkers!!

I've been thinning-out the herd somewhat, but here's what I have currently:

1) Clynelish 14
2) Balvenie Double-Wood 12
3) Balvenie Single Cask 15: something I like to drink when I just want to focus on the malt flavors w/o any extra wood finish (sweetness) at the end
4) Balvenie Rum Cask 17: just great stuff with an almost silky, caramel smoothness from the rum casking
5) Bruichladdich Rocks: kind of a mess - like a truck full of Islay ran into a truck full of Highland, can't decide what it wants to be
6) Bowmore 17
7) Bowmore Dawn: just outstanding Islay with a port finish, they don't make this anymore and that thought makes me cry (and horde this in the back of my liquor cabinet)
8) Glenmorangie Burgandy Wood Finish: don't really like this for some reason
9) Glenmorangie Sherry Wood Finish: do like this one, however
10) Jon, Mark & Robbo's Dark Spice One: a vatted whiskey of Highland Park, Bunnahabhain, Tamdhu and Glenrothes and matured in sherry cask - sounds like it should be a mess, but oh so good, not sure if they make this anymore but hope they do
11) Scotch Malt Society 50.23: special bottling of 14yo Talisker, sweet honey and spice, 112.6 proof
12) Suntory 12: tastes kind of like a Macallan 12 to me; they own Macallan now so maybe that's why

I'd actually like to have a lot less booze on hand. Went through a buying spree to try some new things, and now I'd like to just scale it back a bit. My ideal, basic collection would probably be Ardbeg 10, Balvenie Double-Wood 12 and maybe a few others (not sure).

My tastes really go all over the place depending on what I've had to eat, what mood I'm in, etc.

If you really like single malt scotch, you should join the Scotch Malt Whisky Society and attend one of their "<broken link removed>" at the Rainier Club (Seattle). The extravaganza has over 100 different scotches for you to try - simply an amazing experience. They have some stuff you're just not going to find anywhere else - ever.

Yea Sun can I have a sip. I am very simple when it comes to this subject. I only drink Gentleman Jack and Single barrel. Not scotch but very good and I like Cuban Cohiba's when I get them. I hope you enjoy all of that sounds good.

Whats the big deal with scotch? Pretty tastey?

Yup. Nothing like it. A well made single malt is, well, there's nothing like it. Trouble is, its rather dear...... which means its best enjoyed in small doses, all by itself..... I like mine neat, and will often sip a shot, shot and a half, for an hour or so. Fair warning... some folk absolutely cannot stand the taste of an Islay... the flavour of the peat is, well, not their cup of tay....I ended up with most of a bottle that way one time... someone had it in their hootch hutch and when I noticed it they realised I did because I LIKE it. They offered it to me on the basis they could not tolerate it at all. I was humble enough to help them out. Or, rather, to help the Scotch out... into the boot of my old car. That one carried me for a while, and a goood thing, that. Seems it came just when I was rather short on pocket money....

Ahhh, camping in a trailer with a buddy south of La Pine, a morning 'lope hunt, a grilled ham&cheese sandwich for lunch followed by a $10 cigar and a shared fifth of McClellend Islay then a nap before dinner = :)

seems like we got some islay fans here. my pallate finds them a bit heady. i dont mind them with a bit of ice. so far,the aberlour double cask is my go to scotch. its tasty and easy on the wallet.

mmm, scotch. scotch scOtch scotch... I Love Scotch
ronburgundyinline_061104_1087003234.jpg

...and will often sip a shot, shot and a half, for an hour or so.

I'm normaly passed out off a pint of patron within an hour or so. I must be doing it all wrong :)

The Macallan. Moderately spendy, not outrageous, great taste. Treemanx, a favorite author of mine once described Glenmorangie going down as "honey on fire," and that's close enough for me. Wonderful stuff. Sun195, you sound like a fella I'd like to help with that excess Scotch disposal project you've got going! Just let me know, I'm on call...

Hmmm I love single malt and even the blend....
What does the Lagavulin 16 taste like? I just bought a bottle for a friend turning 30 tomorrow. I hope he cracks it open so I can have a sip. :s0114:
A smooth single malt coupled with a nice cigar is heaven.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top