JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious how many other ham radio operators there are on here and how it plays into your emergency preparedness plan.

I know in the ham world there is a lot of discussion about ARES and working with CERT, etc and those are great for helping in areas of disaster and relaying traffic to emergency service personnel.

Back when I was first licensed I really wanted to do a lot with ARES, but I was 13 and there is really nothing someone can do until you hit 18/21... so I fell back from that group. They said "you can run nets" -- whoop-de-do!

Now, especially since 9/11, you have to go through all of these FEMA courses and there are some State of Oregon background checks to go through, etc -- a lot of paperwork and that just does not interest me.

When I was a Boy Scout part of my Eagle Scout service project was putting a 440Mhz repeater up in Sandy... but if something bad happens I don't think repeaters will be around - it will mainly be simplex VHF/UHF and then HF for long distance.

So now, I look at ham radio in a survival role as communicating with others in my group and others in my area... or if it isn't a SHTF scenario but a "I am lost/hurt while hiking" scenario then I will use it to ask for help.

I remember a few years ago I heard a call for help from a man stuck in the snow.. he gave his GPS coords and we relayed them to the local sheriffs department. Ham radio saves lives!

Just curious how many other ham radio operators there are on here and how it plays into your emergency preparedness plan.

I know in the ham world there is a lot of discussion about ARES and working with CERT, etc and those are great for helping in areas of disaster and relaying traffic to emergency service personnel.

Back when I was first licensed I really wanted to do a lot with ARES, but I was 13 and there is really nothing someone can do until you hit 18/21... so I fell back from that group. They said "you can run nets" -- whoop-de-do!

Now, especially since 9/11, you have to go through all of these FEMA courses and there are some State of Oregon background checks to go through, etc -- a lot of paperwork and that just does not interest me.

When I was a Boy Scout part of my Eagle Scout service project was putting a 440Mhz repeater up in Sandy... but if something bad happens I don't think repeaters will be around - it will mainly be simplex VHF/UHF and then HF for long distance.

So now, I look at ham radio in a survival role as communicating with others in my group and others in my area... or if it isn't a SHTF scenario but a "I am lost/hurt while hiking" scenario then I will use it to ask for help.

I remember a few years ago I heard a call for help from a man stuck in the snow.. he gave his GPS coords and we relayed them to the local sheriffs department. Ham radio saves lives!

Yo timbernet

I have no desire for the Ham Radio experience, but would like a good quality police scanner. 'Good Quality' from a manufacturing and signal stand-point, not necessarily one with a lot of 'whisles & bells' that I'll likely never use. Any suggestions on makes, models, etc?

Thanks,
Frog.

So now, I look at ham radio in a survival role as communicating with others in my group and others in my area... or if it isn't a SHTF scenario but a "I am lost/hurt while hiking" scenario then I will use it to ask for help...

Timbernet-
I (and my wife) have had my license for decades and have been through the ARES, SKYWARN, and club related public service participation in past years. Now I sign in on the Oregon Emergency Net most evenings and belong to OTVARC where I help as a VE and enjoy the monthly meetings. Other than that, I do what you do: I largely consider ham radio as a survival communications system.
the Quiet Man

Been hamming it up for 48 years and repaired radios in the military, got a degree in electronics under the GI Bill but always did it for FUN rather than work. I also have a rptr (220 mhz) it's stored away, just never found a good site with power here. Cell phones have kind of spoiled us but they are often the first to go down in a crisis, or at the very least get overloaded. Barring an EMP hit, Ham radio is the way to go for Emergency Comm. It takes minimal effort to get a Ham license and anyone going to the trouble of "Prepping" should consider having it on their to-do list.

What is the best option for a vehicle that I do not have to get a license for?

Just get the licence. They practically give away the tech licence and that is all you need for the vhf/uhf radios that you would use in a car.

Go to qrz.com and run the practice tests. They take those questions out of the same question pool as the real test. You will learn enough to get the licence quick.

Years ago when I got my novice licence you had to be able to receive 5 words per minute in cw (morse code) as well as pass a technical test that I swear was harder than now.

Just do it.

Just get the licence. They practically give away the tech licence and that is all you need for the vhf/uhf radios that you would use in a car.

Go to qrz.com and run the practice tests. They take those questions out of the same question pool as the real test. You will learn enough to get the licence quick.

Years ago when I got my novice licence you had to be able to receive 5 words per minute in cw (morse code) as well as pass a technical test that I swear was harder than now.

Just do it.

+1
It has never been easier to obtain your license and the quality of your communications capability will be increased exponentally over CB, GMRS, or FRS. Many local ham clubs offer free classes aimed at getting people licensed. The ARRL website offers review courses for sale, and the aforementioned tests are on the net for free. You can also purchase review courses at Ham Radio Outlet in Tigard. The ARRL website also will direct you to local clubs for help. You'll be amazed at what you can do with ham radio. Give it a shot and you'll thank yourself for the rest of your life.

I have a general class license, and HF, VHF, UHF rigs. I listen more than I talk. You can also get your ham radio call on you license plate for a lot less than other vanity plates so you can be recognized during an emergency situation. Field day 2009 is this weekend, it is a nation wide emergency preparedness drill that most all hams and ham clubs compete in. Go to http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/fd/ for more info if interested.

Tech. license here. I operate mainly mobile while running from jobsite to jobsite. I look at ham radio as a backup plan to my cellphone(s). There have been plenty of times that my cells have lost coverage, but my 2M rig can still get out to a valley repeater.

KE7YBL (on Salem 145.290 mostly when in the area)

I'm definitely going to do it!!!!

Where can I take the test? I've been taking practice tests all afternoon.

Good for you. OTVARC conducts testing on the first Saturday of each month at the Ronler fire station behind the stadium on Highway 26 (Hillsboro)at 1PM. Look at www.otvarc.org for details. There is also a search function on the ARRL website that will help you find testing locations that may be closer to you. Let me know if you run into difficulty and I'll help you find a place.

Where can I go to check out / buy radios? Anything near N. Portland?

Is this the only place?
<broken link removed>

Ham Radio Outlet is the only place in the Portland area that I am aware of, other than Radio Shack which I suggest you avoid. You can touch, feel, and compare good radios at Ham Radio Outlet and talk to licensed hams about them. I suggest you stick with Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu radios. My wife and I run 2 meter monoband radios at home and in our vehicles. Some folks jump right in with a dual band radio (2 meter and 70 centimeter). They cost more but are more flexible. A 2 meter monoband radio is an excellent place to start and serves a lot of the local ham community very well.

I'm thinking I may want one of the cheapest available to get my feet wet.
Then I can decide what options are important to me and make a better decision on a permanent system.

I was the same way about boating. I bought a cheap piece of junk boat that lasted 1 summer. I decided I wasn't a "boat person" and saved myself $20,000+

I got my license seven years ago, I used to be really active. Including running nets, going so cares and ares meetings. Along with helping with CERT drills which was a lot of fun. Now I hardly turn on my Kenwood hand held due to going to college and having a cell phone. Its a great device when I go camping, especially for long trips and I am able to use a full 5 watts of output compared to .5 watts on a Frs "Walkie talkie" which helps for long distances. I would totally recommend getting it, you might not use it every day but its definitely worth having for emergency's and outdoor trips. Personally i like to have a radio station on one of my bands and listen to the local repeater on the other band at the same time wile working around the house.

chase

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top