JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am currently in Iraq with the 82nd ABN but I ets in about 7 months. Planning on going to PCC then PSU on the GI bill. I am from CA but just can't handle it anymore. I was thinking about doing the Guard while I am in School for several reasons. For starters since I am not from Oregon I feel the need to earn my keep to stay there. I don't want to just be another guy from CA jumping ship and not adding to the state. I have saved a bunch of money and payed of all my bills so I won't have to work for at least 3 years(hoping to get my degree in 3 years) so I won't be taking someones job. I know the NG doesn't pay much but that extra few hundred and the Medical would be helpful. After school there is a good chance I may go back to Active Duty. From what I have heard the NG is either great or terrible and a lot of it depends on how jacked up the unit is. I would like to here from guys currently in the NG and what they think. I am a SPC(P) 11C by the way so I would be especially like to hear about the Infantry Companies. I talked to a recruiter up there and he was a pretty straight shooter.

I knew Fred Rees when he was a Major. My experience then, as you hear now, is that units are all over the place as far as 'jacked up' goes. Back in my day, you could basically just show up at another OR unit and start drilling with them. I'm not sure such latitude exists anymore though.

Far I have been in the guard here in oregon for several years and you are right there are good units and bad ones as a 11C you do have some options if your willing to drive. I'm currently in a CAV unit we have Mortars but they are 120s so Im not sure if thats your cup of tea. If you pm me I could probably put you in contact with some other 11Cs in the state so you can get more specific information.

I am an active duty Guardmember (AGR) in the 2/218 FA. Parsons is right on the money as far as how the units are. Along with this, the unit is only as good as your attitude, I can also get you in touch with some 11 series if you would like. Good luck.

Sandman

Far I have been in the guard here in oregon for several years and you are right there are good units and bad ones as a 11C you do have some options if your willing to drive. I'm currently in a CAV unit we have Mortars but they are 120s so Im not sure if thats your cup of tea. If you pm me I could probably put you in contact with some other 11Cs in the state so you can get more specific information.

If it came down to it I would drive but I obvious not if I didn't have to. I am right in assuming that you cover your own gas to get to Drill? If that is the case I don't mind but it does seem like a bad idea if the drive eats up my drill pay. I have been a 60mm the last 3 years but I have time on 81s and 120s. I have fellow 11c's that have spent time in CAV land. They didn't seem to have a problem with it. How is Tri-Care select actually work out in the real world?

I am an active duty Guardmember (AGR) in the 2/218 FA. Parsons is right on the money as far as how the units are. Along with this, the unit is only as good as your attitude, I can also get you in touch with some 11 series if you would like. Good luck.

Sandman

Active NG seems like a pretty sweet gig(especially if you have a family). Kind of the best of both worlds. The downside to the Army is most Active duty stations are in the South....I hate the South.

This might seem biased as a former member of the ORNG. 11 B 2/162 C . company out of eugene. I have been out since 2003, this group was definatly squared away. I dont know how they are now, they are 11 B with 11C attached to them, at least when I was in. Hope this helps a little .

This might seem biased as a former member of the ORNG. 11 B 2/162 C . company out of eugene. I have been out since 2003, this group was definatly squared away. I dont know how they are now, they are 11 B with 11C attached to them, at least when I was in. Hope this helps a little .

Eugene is about the limit that I would want to drive but it would probably be worth it to be in a Line company. I would like to avoid anything to do with HHC/HHT if possible for obvious reasons. If I had drill in Eugene I would have to make friends real quick so I could crash in Eugee instead of making the drive back and forth lol and probably still have to ride My Motorcycle instead of driving my Gas guzzling Jeep(except for winter).

This units first tour in Iraq.

Devil's Sandbox: With the 2nd Battalion, 162nd Infantry, at War in Iraq.

BARNES & NOBLE | Devil's Sandbox: With the 2nd Battalion, 162nd Infantry, at War in Iraq by John R. Bruning | Paperback, Hardcover

They are going to Thailand this next year.

Location of units:
<broken link removed>

Closest to Portland is:

GRESHAM ARMORY
500 NE Division
Gresham, Or 97030-3946

C/2-162 IN 503-665-2511

I was just going to pitch the Gresham crew, you beat me to it. ;)

Gresham will probably be the way for me to go if I am given the option. One last question for you guys concerning Uniforms. I currently have Green Class A's but the Army is going to the Blue ASU by 2014. Right now about 1/4 of my unit is rockin the new uniform. Mostly E6/officer and higher and brand new privates that get them issued. I am looking at reporting to the Guard summer of next year. Will they issue me a set of ASU's or am going to have to buy out of pocket? The reason I ask is I know I can get a set cheaper here at Bragg right when I get back and just ditch my Green Class A's( save some money on sewing by not getting my A's updated) but I don't want to shell out the $300 if the NG will issue me a set.

Call the unit and ask. BYW, B Co in Corvallis is most likely the most written about.

GRESHAM ARMORY
500 NE Division
Gresham, Or 97030-3946

C/2-162 IN 503-665-2511

I will give a call a shot. I'm in Gayraq right now so the time difference is all screwed up and it is easier to get a hold of internet lately than a phone.

Call our number at 888-688-2264. We've got regional area managers throughout the state and we are focused on helping vets transition back from deployment. Sounds like you've got some questions.

Fort Oregon, Information on Veterans Counseling, Employment and Medical Services

You can also email me with some of your questions. I am at [email protected]. I use [email protected] but that email is mostly useless as I am on the road so much and the POP/IMAP forwarding is cancelled. I'm assisting an active duty soldier move to Oregon in 2 months as well.

When you get on the ground here in Oregon we can meet up as well. The team seeks to keep up a network of connections with everyone and we'll steer you in the right direction.

On a personal note, I am currently one of the instructors at RTI, but before this I was part of the best infantry company in the state, C Co 2-162 out of Gresham. Others like to say they are good, but there really isn't any comparison.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top