JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:s0122:

I've thought about that more than a couple times....
Too lazy to get mine out, but here's a before and after...
comp.jpg

I will not argue the difference in build "quality" of a Winchester or a Marlin 39A compared to a Henry 22. The painted zinc (or whatever) sideplates of the Henry don't impress me. It's not made of the same materials as one of the finer lever action 22s, but when I bought it , it was $200. The best part? The little bugger just works.
One thing no other 22 can do is be the first gun my mom ever shot, at the age of 72, and the first gun my grandson shot at the age of 5. Any guesses on who ends up with this one?
One might hold a rifle that meets the ultimate build standards, or one might hold the rifle that bridged generations.

I'm fortunate.

I have a .22 Golden Boy and a H009G Side gate .30-30 rifle; each with a Skinner rear peep sight and a Skinner Patridge post front sight in brass. I can practice (cheaper) with the .22 and it has the identical sight picture of my .30-30.

I also have and tried a Ranger Point Precision rear peep, and while it's a very good peep, I just preferred the sight picture of the Skinner. Personal preference there. They're both good sights.

Sorry for the crummy phone photo, and I couldn't keep my Border Heeler from photo bombing...... :rolleyes: :)

Forgot to add: The accuracy of the GoldenBoy .22 is fantastic, especially considering the price point. Got mine in September at BiMart for $459. It's been as reliable as an anvil. I do have a more accurate .22 bolt rifle, but this is way more fun to shoot. For me, for my wife, and a new shooter as well, it's simply a fun, cool gun to shoot.

IMG_E0443.JPG

It would be cool if Henry offered a threaded lever 22 just saying !
They do and other than being long, it is pure awesome. Probably the quietest suppressed 22lr I have and the shorter magazine tube let's you remove it to reload without having to unthread your suppressor. Here you go: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/frontier-model-threaded-barrel-24/

Finding one is another story as they have been unobtanium since they were released. I setup alerts for multiple online retailers and finally got an email from Sportsmans that they were in stock and raced to check out online and sure enough it showed up at the store in about a week. Zero regrets.

This site shows them supposedly in stock though I paid $150 less from Sportsmans: https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifle...AvantLink&utm_campaign=35987&utm_medium=df_NA

They do and other than being long, it is pure awesome. Probably the quietest suppressed 22lr I have and the shorter magazine tube let's you remove it to reload without having to unthread your suppressor. Here you go: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/frontier-model-threaded-barrel-24/

Finding one is another story as they have been unobtanium since they were released. I setup alerts for multiple online retailers and finally got an email from Sportsmans that they were in stock and raced to check out online and sure enough it showed up at the store in about a week. Zero regrets.

This site shows them supposedly in stock though I paid $150 less from Sportsmans: https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifle...AvantLink&utm_campaign=35987&utm_medium=df_NA
Yea the finding one that is a problem but a lever with a suppressor old school and hi tech looks sweet !

I have a .22 Golden Boy and a H009G Side gate .30-30 rifle; each with a Skinner rear peep sight and a Skinner Patridge post front sight in brass. I can practice (cheaper) with the .22 and it has the identical sight picture of my .30-30.

I also have and tried a Ranger Point Precision rear peep, and while it's a very good peep, I just preferred the sight picture of the Skinner. Personal preference there. They're both good sights.

Sorry for the crummy phone photo, and I couldn't keep my Border Heeler from photo bombing...... :rolleyes: :)

Forgot to add: The accuracy of the GoldenBoy .22 is fantastic, especially considering the price point. Got mine in September at BiMart for $459. It's been as reliable as an anvil. I do have a more accurate .22 bolt rifle, but this is way more fun to shoot. For me, for my wife, and a new shooter as well, it's simply a fun, cool gun to shoot.

View attachment 1333066
I also monkeyed with both Skinner and Ranger Point.
I liked the Skinner better.
The full length Alaskan not only works well, but it looks good too.

I also monkeyed with both Skinner and Ranger Point.
I liked the Skinner better.
The full length Alaskan not only works well, but it looks good too.

Agree very much! Hard to see on my photo above, but both are the full length Alaskan or Express models; I forget exactly what they're named. I just know that they work and look good.

I will also add that the lever for my Golden Boy works so smoothly in comparison to my shimmed lever on the steel .30-30. Like butter.

So far, it's fed, fired, and flung out any kind of ammo I've ran through it. Long rifle shells, Longs, and Shorts. They all work. Can't say that about a lot of semi-auto guns.

In EDIT: I can't speak enough about the help I got from Skinner sights getting the correct height for my front sight in conjunction with the Skinnner peep. Most likely, a Skinner or an RPP receiver mounted peep will require a taller front sight. It was easy to order the correct front for the Golden Boy. The 30-30 required a bit more work, money, and a ramp for the front sight on that one. If you choose a dovetail mounted rear peep to replace the Buckhorn back sight, you possibly won't need a new front sight.

Also, Henry's customer service is as good as Skinner's, or even better. I originally drilled & tapped my own reciever for the Skinner peep. It worked and looked great, but my rear sight had to be drifted over to the left almost 3/16" to correct the windage. Puzzled, :confused: and thinking I must've drilled my holes off centerline, I emailed Henry to buy a new receiver cover and told them I thought I made the mistake when I drilled and tapped the OEM cover. Henry mailed me a new cover for the cost of postage only! This time, I paid for Skinner's receiver cover drilling service, sent the new cover to Skinner, and put the peep back on after the cover came back from Skinner. It STILL needed to be drifted over the same amount for windage. :rolleyes: But the point is both places are wonderful to deal with!

Last Edited:
My son owns a Frontier in 22LR and its been a very good little rifle. He uses it jack rabbit hunting and has about the same results as I do with my 20" 870 and #8 shot. On paper its very good. He's had it now for something like 6 years with not a single hitch.

I have a Frontier in .22MAG on my short list to buy...........................well someday.

I've never felt a smoother lever action than my Henry 22. Like butter or glass or glass that has butter on it.
Now I want some buttered popcorn.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads