JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking at some different guns for my next purchase (wish) and I went to a local pawn shop I see commercials for all the time, and I was shocked at their selection and prices.

They had some nice Kimbers, Colts, S&Ws, and Glocks but their prices were as high as new gun prices!
Was crazy. The guns were decent, but most had idiot marks, lots of wear, etc. I could go down the street to Bud's gun shop and buy the same guns, brand new for maybe $10 more.

I wanted to kick that guy in his jewels. But hey it's his shop.

Yeah. It was dumb founding. I was telling a friend on here. I'm not sure if they do it in Oregon or Washington, but here in Kentucky the state police do 6-7 auctions for confiscated firearms for dealers only and nets the state LEOs around 500k a year for new equipment. They sell everything from handguns, shotguns, to AKs. Actually I'm sure OR or WA wouldn't do it.

Pretty cool except they don't allow regular citizens in. But I see why.

I entertained the idea early last year when looking for a .22 rifle. The prices were pretty high, but one nice thing was that the guy offered to trade a 'like new' XD45 tactical for my XD45 service model. Not something I was interested in but hey, might be a perfect deal for someone else.

I was looking at some different guns for my next purchase (wish) and I went to a local pawn shop I see commercials for all the time, and I was shocked at their selection and prices.

They had some nice Kimbers, Colts, S&Ws, and Glocks but their prices were as high as new gun prices!
Was crazy. The guns were decent, but most had idiot marks, lots of wear, etc. I could go down the street to Bud's gun shop and buy the same guns, brand new for maybe $10 more.

I wanted to kick that guy in his jewels. But hey it's his shop.

This has always been my complaint too,
My friends (who shop at Pawn Shops) tell me you have to bargain with the employees & get those prices knocked down...

I've found that the pawn shops in Vancouver have very few weapons anymore. Having to run them through NICS before returning them to the owner who pawned them or selling them has eliminated most of the guns from the shops. Those that are for sale are too high and I don't bother to dicker with them, not worth my time in most cases.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

The shops in Salem have quite a few guns the best ones are sold within hours of hitting the rack. They just like any thrift shop have people who stop by almost every day or are only a phone call away if something the owner knows he has a buyer for comes available. Should they instead have something sit on the rack for months waiting to turn a profit? And if you find the firearms at a pawn shop beat up well that is what the pervious owner brought it, Most likely someone just like you the guy wanting to buy. OK so the guy who brought it in might have been behind on the electric bill or needed gas to get to work the rest of the week. Pawn shops are a valuable finacial tool for MANY people Buyers Sellers and people needing a Loan.

I have delt with the Silverton Rd Pawn shop for nearly 34 years both pawning and buying (never sold them anything I don't think) and it's a Business plain and simple. They know 90% of the people who walk in the door to buy are going to try to low ball them so they set their price to allow for some movement.

Heck I've pawned a couple of rifles to get quick cash to not have to pass up a great deal on soemthing for one of my other hobbies. I don't work in the winter and sometimes even a couple hundred would be out of the question. Yet to loose out on a $500.00 item when I can pawn a couple rifles and pick them up when I'm back to work sure maybe it costs me a hundred in interest BUT I still made a great deal on what I bought.

As an example the Shop in Woodburn had a very nice sporterized 1917 Enfield in a very nice stock with a VERY nice older Leopold scope. The tag said $395.00 my son who was in the market asked them about the very best cash price they could let it go for and they looked up what they had in it and came back with $350.00 not a bad price at all in fact if Bi Mart hadn't had a sale on Savage FC116's the same week my son would have bought it.

They had a 4 drawer mid chest from a roll away kind of best up but perfect to throw in my tool room to store misc tools. They were asking $35.00 a fair price given the condition. I asked about the best cash price and the guy came back with $29.00 I snapped it right up.

They are a business simple as that. if an owner drives a Vette then I guess they are doing a good business.

I've purchased 2 guns at a pawnshop before. One was reasonable and when purchased was knocked down to what I felt was a good deal, and the other was pretty high and knocked down to a reasonable price. Keep in mind my family has spent tons of $$ there for the past 10 years. But I agree, for the most part, pawnshops around here are not the place to find a deal on guns.

Just like anything else you have to know what you are looking at with a pawn shop. I have seen some really good deals at the only one I check out (Ace Buyer's on 99 in Eugene) and seen some REALLY bad deals as well. I figure THEY got a good deal on the one's that are a good deal. On the up side try trading a used welder, a paint gun and set of used rims in on a gun at a gun store.

Last time I was in Silver lining in Portland they had several great deals on pistols. The marked price was good and I've never paid marked price for anything in the store.

I was a little dissapointed in Hockers Locker on 82nd though. Not very knowledgable and rather poor CS.

i've bought a couple guns at pawn shops over the years... mostly when it's been something obscure that they happened to have.
but now with the ease of buying online, forums like this, etc, i haven't even walked into a pawn shop in years.

That is because you guys have never been to NW Pawn in Spokane. Great inventory, great prices and great service.

As it was stated you need to know what you are buying, what it is worth and what you are willing to pay. This is not just for pawn shops and not just for guns, this is for any product you buy.

I have picked up a few super fantastic(collectable) guns at pawn shops. Maybe I just got lucky but the guns I happened accross were literally over half the retail price of the gun. And they were limited run collectable guns which is even more surprising. :) I guess it just comes down to what the person pawning the gun wants/needs.

I just bought a sig 226 from a pawn shop...Its like new maybe a box through it...I had been looking for one for a while and was willing to pay what they are worth, outa the blue i decided to stop in to a pawn shop in salem, they had like 10 hanguns all high priced and worn, but right in the middle was the 226 I was looking for in perfect shape, priced at $600 and marked down to $475! It was my lucky day, def gonna start looking at pawn shops more often...

I use Capitol Loans as my transfer FFL as its convenient. I have bought a gun there at a fair price. If you know what you're looking at and know the value there should be no problem. Also its a pawn shop so you should be able to work a deal regardless. It could be they have to pay for all the advertising you referenced.

I bought a marlin 336 (western auto revelation 200) for more than it was "worth" (but still less than the gun shows most times) because I really wanted a 30-30 lever gun THAT DAY. Most of the pawn shops prices vary from high to way high.
I think the days of the really good deals at pawn shops are coming to their end.

Pawn Shops vary a lot. I often use A Cut Above Pawn on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy. in Beaverton for my FFL transfers, as they only charge $10, plus another $10 for the background check fee. Over the last three years, i've scored a pre-64 Winchester 94, a 1946 Marlin .30-30, a Winchester 97, and a nice Kimber .45, while in there, all at very good prices.

I've also been to another pawn shop, on Canyon Rd, which had an arrogant piece of trailer trash behind the counter. He didn't know jack-shyt about guns, even though he pretended to, and I was able to score a Martini-Henry from him for $300, because he thought it was a .303 Enfield.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top