JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just figured out that my wife's Apple TV gizmo will work on my big screen TV's HDMI input.
I'm just up to the episode where the Anglo-Saxon princess Kwenthrith of Mercia poisons her brother.
Liking it so far.

Tomorrow!

Berserker-laugh-Vikings-3x8.gif

I have minor two quibbles (spoiler alert - if you are not up to speed yet, don't read this):

#1, What's with all the leather all the time? I can see it during battles and so forth but Norway and England are cold and wet, so one would think people would be wearing wool as much as possible.

#2, The crippled son - seriously, they could build exquisite boats but no one could build crutches?

That is all. I really like the series and I know it is just TV. :)

I like the show. Must be in my blood as tracing my ancestry shows the Viking kings back to around 800 AD, William the Conqueror and the Wessex and Plantagenet kings & queens of England. My grandmother had repeated family lore as such but I had no proof until today's access to genealogy resources. But i am sure few million people can do likewise today. Just like 10% of the men residing today in the boundaries in the Mongol Empire are descendants of Genghis Khan or .5%(18,500,000) of the men worldwide.

Just watched a show today called, Real Vikings. They go about Europe and Scandinavia, using footage from the show Vikings, showing the accuracy of the history depicted on the show. Use actors from the series on the history show, also. Very interesting!
I'm, 1/2 Scots, 1/4 Norwegian and 1/4 German. So, personally interesting too! :cool:

Oops, I forgot! Real Vikings is a series. Same channel as Vikings. I saw guys holding a 1,000 year old axe head! I looked like it was eminently capable of doing the job today too! So impressive! :mad: Show me your WAR FACE!!!

Last Edited:
I like the show. Must be in my blood as tracing my ancestry shows the Viking kings back to around 800 AD, William the Conqueror and the Wessex and Plantagenet kings & queens of England. My grandmother had repeated family lore as such but I had no proof until today's access to genealogy resources. But i am sure few million people can do likewise today. Just like 10% of the men residing today in the boundaries in the Mongol Empire are descendants of Genghis Khan or .5%(18,500,000) of the men worldwide.

My family goes back to Norse in France before William. We were on the field at Hastings according to the accounts of the time.

My wife and I are fans of the show. Both of us are Swedish descent (I'm 1/4 Swede myself), so it's kind of interesting to look at what those old folks from the northlands were like.

Interesting note about my family - I'm still in touch with my extended family in Sweden. My 3rd cousin is a genealogist and has access to a deep history of many families, including our own. She has traced the family back over 1,000 years and that includes a king by the name of Sigtrygg Silkbeard, the king of Dublin. He was a Nordic king in Ireland, where many places had become viking settlements. At the time, there were many regional 'kings', including a well known Irish hero, Brian Boru. Boru forced my ancestor, Silkbeard, to submit to his authority, as he did to other regional kings. They eventually rallied against him and Silkbeard was part of the group that led to Boru's death. Today, Boru is considered an Irish legend/hero, which leaves me a bit torn because I'm also part Irish. Crazy stuff, history.

Just watched a show today called, Real Vikings. They go about Europe and Scandinavia, using footage from the show Vikings, showing the accuracy of the history depicted on the show. Use actors from the series on the history show, also. Very interesting!
I'm, 1/2 Scots, 1/4 Norwegian and 1/4 German. So, personally interesting too! :cool:

Oops, I forgot! Real Vikings is a series. Same channel as Vikings. I saw guys holding a 1,000 year old axe head! I looked like it was eminently capable of doing the job today too! So impressive! :mad: Show me your WAR FACE!!!

Again, I forget! Gettin' old ain't for sissys!
I intended to say that, for some reason, after the second season I lost interest in the series. This, after a lifetime of reading and watching everything about Vikings that I could get ahold of. After all I was raised by/near the Norwegian branch of the family. I'm absolutely positive that I'll get back to the show one day.

I have probably mentioned this before, but have you other Viking fans read, "The Long Ships" by Frans Gunnar Bengtsson? A truly great book!

Last Edited:
It seems the North American natives had more stringent immigration policies in the days of Leif Erikson than they did when Mr. Columbus came visiting!!!!!

In his book, "The Discoverers", Daniel Boorstin noted that the Vikings didn't at all play nice with native tribes so immediately got on their "not welcome" list and got warred upon from then on.

The Discoverers is a great book and highly recommended. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top