Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any Officers? Law Enforcement Software/Crime Database Management Software Ideas

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 4Freedom, Mar 3, 2010.

1. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

Hi, I am a software developer, as well as a firearms owner. Currently, I develop practice management software for the health care industry. I am right now browsing for new ideas to create a side business and a few have come to mind.

I was browsing the net and found a few larger companies that sell some law enforcement software that manages various areas of police department and a crime database. This software has caught my eye and I wanted to learn more about it and get ideas for my own software from officers or anyone else in a police department who manages or uses this type of software. One reason I am interested in police agency or law enforcement software is that I have seen a variety of products and most look to be extremely high price for the features they offer. I have looked briefly over a few of these softwares and they do not appear to have any other special functionality compared with a variety of other RDBMS (Relational Database Management Systems) or enterprise business or government agency software systems would have.

It seems since the software is specialized for law enforcement agencies, that it is proprietary and hence comes a price tag that is quite exobritant. ANyhow, my goal is to produce a high quality software that can be beneficial to agency that has all the features of other programs, for a much lower price tag.

I am just looking over the situation and exploring crime and law enforcement software and have taken an interest in it. I am also looking at various other account management and Point-Of-Sale type of systems I can develop. One other type of software I thought would be interesting, because of my love of guns, would be firearm dealer or gun shop POS software.

Anyhow, if there is any person who is familiar with law enforcment or police agency management software who might be able to take time to share with me about the current software they use and ideas or information about what they look for in a software, I would appreciate it. I would be happy if the person can share their feelings about the software, tell me features that are important, what they like or dislike about their current software, etc. I am trying to educate myself more about this type of software, but having input from people from police agencies of course is very helpful.

2. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

The agencies around here use Spillman. No real issues with it, but then I have nothing to compare it with.

3. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

Hello wichaka,

I was reviewing the website for the spillman software. They do look to be the leaders in the industry and offer quite a few features. However, one thing they do not state on their website is their price. You don't happen to have any idea how much your department paid per license for their software? I have seen a few other softwares in this category where they list the price and offer less features, and the price is definately not cheap. I was reading that spillman supposedly is more price efficient and doesn't charge per update, in contrast to some vendors, as long as you sign up for a year contract. Well, it is unheard of to me in most fields of software for a user to have to pay for individual updates; support/updates are always provided with a contract.

The most challenging features I think to implement may be their Geo database. However, I am speaking out of ignorance, since I don't quite know the depths of how it functions. I see that another software integrates with google maps, which seems a bit awkward. Also, it just uses a web browser for its implementation, which was poorly constructed and not properly synchronized with the software.

Also, I am wondering what type of people make the decisions in purchasing the software. I assume it would be the chief, mayor or some municipal authority. I never dealth with government agencies before, so I have no clue what kind of difficulties I would run into. I just know the software is not much different than most other types of account/data management systems I have seen in various industries, yet the price does appear to be considerably higher.

4. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Dealing with government agencies is a real treat. Make sure you have lots of patience before you head down that path. I bet it is rare for a large purchasing decision to be made in under a year. I've had government contract work take up to two years of meetings, contract re-writes, staff changes, reviews, and other bureaucratic roadblocks before I've even gotten started on the project (which is by that time technologically almost out of date).

I avoid government work like the plague and if they really want my services will charge them extra because of the hassles.