JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It seems that I've always owned one in some form or other. I like the simplicity of design and straightforward mechanics of it.

I presently have a tactical model with just a few mods; Wilson Combat Accu Tac flash hider, a Choate handguard for better cooling and Tech Sights for my old eyes. I rattle canned the black plastic stock because it didn't look quite right for me.

Anyone else like the Mini?

Last Edited:
If I were looking for a semi-auto rifle, the Mini-14 would be the one for me.

I've owned many, still own one. They've been completely reliable, and mine have been acceptably accurate. My latest, a tapered barrel, is the most accurate.

In spite of my affinity for the Mini, I haven't shot mine for a few years.:confused: There just seems to be stuff in the safe up-front that's easier to grab.

Watched the A-T 20180310_130426.jpg eam a lot growing up so of course the Mini 14 has a spot in my heart.

I've always had one also, at least almost always. When the Columbine shooting happened I had purchase a SS Mini Ranch w/a factory folder probably a year prior to that, I paid $355 NIB from an FFL friend of mine. After the shooting there was a temp. ban on them, I was looking through the Oregonian firearms classifieds (anyone remember those?) and noticed folks were asking $600+ for them. I figured what the heck and put mine in for $750 not caring much if it sold but that price was ridiculous. Nothing happened all week then on Sat. following posting it a guy called and wanted to check it out. He came over, gave me $100 to hold it until Mon. when he could get the rest of the cash. I left to go shoot a mini Mauser in .223 I had put together, when I got home the guy had stopped back w/the the rest of the $$ and my mom let him have it (yeah, still @ home then). I promptly turned around and bought a NIB 586 and a 700 BDL in 22-250 for Wyo prairie dogs.

Funny part of that story was after I met my wife we had her ex-husband come over one day to help me put some window frames together on a remodel he had started. We got to talking about guns, the mini's came up so I started relating the story of the goof ball who came over and paid me over double what I had paid a for one. Before I could get to the part about the guy giving me the cash he looked up at me and said "that was me." I took a better look (it had been a few years) and said "yep, it WAS you." He said he knew he over paid but figured if they didn't lift the ban he would have something worth some $$ (he had 2 others already but not w/a factory folder).

I liked it quite a bit, the factory folder made it an awesome truck gun. Back then I was more into accuracy and the Mini could never hold a group over 2 shots. I could get snake eyes w/2 shots then the 3rd would be an inch away @ 100 yds. I had other small center fires that could do much better. Since then I've purchased a few more, have one currently, I like having one around but never get too attached to them. I would probably get rid of some AR's before the mini though, it's like ol reliable, it always goes bang and shoots pretty much where you point it. If I didn't have an AR in 7.62x39 I'd probably get a Mini30, you know, just to have around.;)

I've always like them, and shot a bunch over the years, though at the present only have one. This one started out as a Ranch rifle I picked up whilst living in eastern Oregon. I changed the stock, installed a scope, and added a silencer. I like the setup.

mini-can-jpg.jpg

I owned a couple when I was a stupid young sailor and enthralled with the A-Team, lol...

PgtPC9aARlmS9mZ1AjohqQ (1).jpg

Then I realized that the A-Team never hit anyone and the likely reason was the Mini-14, LOL.

My first one was very accurate, and the one in the picture was seriously FUBARed.

Bought an AR in the 90's and forgot all about the Mini-14s.

I bought a 86 series a couple years ago, added scope mount, rings and scope. Then I added an accustrut and shippednit to my dad for his 80th birthday! Have been looking for a good deal on one cause I really liked the one I did for him!
The photo is him picking it up at the LGS.

1660D2C0-BD21-4B5D-8A1E-C4D8FA4A7CC8.jpeg

I always loved the look, not so much the results. Had a couple and many buddies did in the late 70's early 80's. Mags were one hang up. Ruger was not selling the 20's so factory were pricey even then. After market was super hit and miss. Normally could get ones that worked with some trial and error and or tinkering. Then there was the moving POI. Every one seemed to suffer, some far worse than others. Then the tossing the brass into the next county. Back long ago there were fixes for all of this but made the rifle which at that time was about half what an AR ran, end up costing more. So most of us eventually ended up with an AR. Now days it's seems to be reversed with AR's running far less. I keep hearing they have over come the accuracy problems but have never actually shot one that is on par with an AR. Still do love the way they look with wood furniture.

Had an early stainless version for almost 20 years, never did care for it. Put almost 200 rounds through it & traded it off finally. o_O

Son recently reconfigured his with a decent stock & TRS 25 red dot. This one I like but he won't trade it to me.

Last Edited:
I do like the factory folder model but without mag compatibility with the AR platform, it's a deal breaker. I can deal with the less than ideal accuracy for a novelty but I don't want to stock another mag type. I have considered a mini 30 before but....AK :eek:

I do like the factory folder model but without mag compatibility with the AR platform, it's a deal breaker. I can deal with the less than ideal accuracy for a novelty but I don't want to stock another mag type. I have considered a mini 30 before but....AK :eek:

The mag thing is what gets me too. If they took AR magazines and would shoot minute of pie plate at 300 yards, I'd own one.

I've owned many, still own one. They've been completely reliable, and mine have been acceptably accurate. My latest, a tapered barrel, is the most accurate.

In spite of my affinity for the Mini, I haven't shot mine for a few years.:confused: There just seems to be stuff in the safe up-front that's easier to grab.
Where can you buy a used one at a decent price?