JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Marine here. This reads like it was written by a cook or admin clerk. I've conducted vehicle control points and searches overseas and not having a magazine inserted or a round in the chamber would be crazy. I was in charge of area security for a section of Camp Pendleton... all my Marines had a magazine inserted (although no round in the chamber unless a threat presented itself). In all my years in the military I haven't seen a single barrel flag insert. Shouldered or carried at port arms? Go ahead and stand post at port arms or shoulder arms for eight hours and tell me how your elbows feel.

His list is neither practical or tactically sound

Just remember the basics:
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
2. Never point your weapon at anyone you don't intent to shoot
3. Keep your weapon on safe until you are ready to fire
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
5. Know your target and what is beyond

His advice is not practical and could potentially be dangerous in the real world.

So, what were you supposed to use if challenged by an aggressor? Harsh language?
Not trying to be funny here or poke the bear. Just genuinely curious to know why our Armed Forces would not arm a guard on duty. Seems counter-intuitive...
We had loaded magazines ready just not inserted. After the base started getting protesters who kept trespassing, the orders came down to have loaded weapons. No rounds chambered though

1959755_10204128078935144_641188089394585743_n.jpg

Not a Marine...
But I have been on guard / sentry duty many times , while in the Army.
As far as weapon handing and loaded magazines and the like...for us at least...
At times :
Empty rifle no ammo at all....
Empty rifle , empty magazine in the rifle , loaded magazines carried in ammo pouches...
Empty rifle , no ammo...but the Sergeant of the Guard had a loaded rifle or pistol....
Empty rifle , loaded magazine in rifle...empty chamber...
Rifle loaded as in a loaded magazine , round chambered...rifle on "safe"...
Time and place played a large role here.

Ex-navy puke here. This quote brings back some memories... never expect military orders to make sense, or to be explained. Never made sense to me to be trusted with multi-million dollar hardware in a combat zone, but not be allowed to carry a pocket knife with a blade longer than 3", either.

What a bunch of bubbleguming idiots!
Scaling a security fence at a military installation, and then taking a walk in the park around a lead-arsenic toxic waste dump??? o_Oo_Oo_O
They coulda got themselves an acute case of high-velocity lead poisoning, never mind the arsenic!
I'll say it again, what a bunch of bubbleguming idiots!

If you're holding a rifle without a magazine inserted you're definitely not standing any real sentry.

The military isn't very well trained in firearms unless it's the few who are. Those "rules" are quite idiotic.

I like to preface anything I say these days with "I used to be in the medical field" because once upon a time I put a bandaid on an owie.
So I got that going on.

His list is ridiculous and doesn't sound like Marine jargon. If I read that list to any of my Marine friends they'd probably slap me then pour my beer out and make me stand in the corner.

Just genuinely curious to know why our Armed Forces would not arm a guard on duty

I think it also depends on location for example during the mid 90's I remember a time driving through camp pendleton around 3am and watching the guards on guard duty at different areas inside the base sound asleep on duty on several occasions.
from my experience boot camp is one thing but unit sop's will change depending on mission / operation
many will never touch a weapon after boot camp or only on yearly qualification , not always cocked locked and ready to rock,
sometimes just duty rotation at a base stateside, this is only my experience everyone has there own

I was stationed with a USMC unit that regularly provided enhanced security for the USN when called upon. We carried Mossberg shotguns and M-9's at condition 3 (weapon loaded, no round in the chamber).
I was one of those guys... Marine Security Forces for several years (more than happy to return to the fleet when it was time). Federal law requires Marine security whenever nuclear materials are present on a naval installation.

Depending on the post and the proximity/nature of the material present we carried either an M16 or an 870/1911 (mid 80s) primary/secondary. Mag-in, chamber empty. Spare mags were "sealed" while on post but easily accessible.

ROE included the words, "... Aim to disable. If unsure you can shoot to disable, fire regardless. Do not fire any warning shots".

I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of any nuclear materials on any installation... blah blah blah

Last Edited:
Remember guys, when you are standing in front of your store during a riot, have your magazine in a safe location and have a empty chamber flag in your rifle so when then mob comes to loot your store you can promptly be beaten and have your rifle stolen.

Or did I not understand what "sentry duty" means. Because I have yet to see a video of the military guys in Afghanistan walking around the empty chamber indicators on their rifles.

Does he give instructions on proper looting techniques as well?

I was one of those guys... Marine Security Forces for several years (more than happy to return to the fleet when it was time). Federal law requires Marine security whenever nuclear materials are present on a naval installation.

Depending on the post and the proximity/nature of the material present we carried either an M16 or an 870/1911 (mid 80s) primary/secondary. Mag-in, chamber empty. Spare mags were "sealed" while on post but easily accessible.

ROE included the words, "... Aim to disable. If unsure you can shoot to disable, fire regardless. Do not fire any warning shots".

I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of any nuclear materials on any installation... blah blah blah
You were probably guarding me, if you were in a base in Georgia.

If you were at a base in Georgia, let me know... I was one of the ASF platoon chiefs, when the patrols found each other during a drill.

Good times.

You were probably guarding me, if you were in a base in Georgia.

If you were at a base in Georgia, let me know... I was one of the ASF platoon chiefs, when the patrols found each other during a drill.

Good times.
Naaaw... it was in WA. NSB Bangor and PSNS in Bremerton.
Stultifyingly boring duty most of the time. It's no wonder so many Marines would act-up while off-duty and lose their security clearances.
Like I mentioned before, when it was time to cycle back into the FMF, I was ready to go back and do grunt-stuff, even if it meant going to 29 Palms (it did).

I did get a sharp set of dress blues out of it though. Chicks dig em, so there's that.

So, what were you supposed to use if challenged by an aggressor? Harsh language?
Not trying to be funny here or poke the bear. Just genuinely curious to know why our Armed Forces would not arm a guard on duty. Seems counter-intuitive...

If you are one person, you only have to worry about yourself, you can keep your self out of trouble.

If you are a Lt or a SNCO you could have 30 guys under your control....and one or two are sure to be dorks.

Remember your high school gym class. Imagine anyone of them checking a loud noise in an unlit area at 3am.

If anyone of them fires a round without good reason, 6-10 years of career building is gone. Period.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top