JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My new acquisition (Savage 99) has a Lyman A1 tang sight I intend to keep on it.
I found a few things on the internet but no exploded drawings or adjusting information.
Its travel has one upright detent which is forward from vertical by 10 or 15 degrees.
Is that the way it is, or...
Is the detent resettable?
How?
I assume it will work with the forward slant.
Also, the lock works well so I could lock it in the vertical but not having fired the rifle yet don't know if it will hold during recoil. if it does would invalidate the need for a detent.
I did not want to spend time Zeroing it then likely messing with it later.
And I know I will
Thank you in advance for any sage advice available.
IMGP0043.JPG
Looks like it needs a spanner I do not have to disassemble?

IMGP0044.JPG
A light and polite torque on this set flats did not budge though well lubed with Kroil.
I didn't want to apply too much energy before I knew what I was doing so let it go.

IMGP0045.JPG IMGP0046.JPG

This looks like it's on a savage 99, and if I remember it does that a spammer wrench. The other side with the flats doesn't turn, it's just to hold. At least that's my recollection, it's been 30 years since I've seen one taken apart.

Something about a tang site!! I have always wanted one on a rifle.

Watching with interest and good luck!
Thank you, albeit my quest has come to a conclusion; I was able to dissemble, clean and back together, but changing the detent location isn't going to happen. The detent location is fixed in the cradle, as is the sight and detent plunger to the trunnion, making the angle factory set. Of course subject to whatever the angle is on the tang of whichever gun it is mounted to.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top