JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Somewhere back in primordial days I fell in love with a .30 Carbine Super Blackhawk I had for a while. It's a fun round, not outrageously expensive and it provides lots of flash and noise. It's also a soft shooter which is fun for new shooters.

I've had three pistols in the caliber, (a couple of Inlands too) the first was the SBH already mentioned, the second was an Automag Mk III and now finally this one, the replacement for the first.

The Automag was ultimately reliable, but it took a trip to an Automag Magician and time and cash.

DSCN0550.JPG

I have yet to play with a pistol in .30 Carbine, but, I have to admit, it is intriguing. Particularly considering I have hundreds of rounds of ammo in said, but nothing to shoot it in. (The AO M1 carbine so didn't work out.). An auto-loading pistol in said or a single-action wheelgun look like fun for some applications. :)

I sold mine a few months ago. It was a lot of fun but I don't like the plow handle grip. I wish they made one with a Bisley grip frame. I looked into converting it but that was more money than I wanted to have in it.

I have a Blackhawk in 30 carbine. I load a 125gr Sierra FPHP not sure of the velocity but its up there compared to factory rounds. The thing is its almost scarry accurate compared to my other handguns even ones with similar length barrels. And yes not a big fan of the factory grips.

I know there's plenty of other calibers out there if I was looking strictly for performance or whatever, but I have an affinity for this round in a handgun. I just enjoy the idea of it.

I picked up a few boxes of this Buffalo Bore 125gr. Hardcast that looks like a good performer. They load some pretty stout .30 Carbine rounds. It won't hit 2100 fps though, they claim more like 1600fps. Here's a link to their .30 Carbine rounds: Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business

DSCN0555.JPG DSCN0554.JPG

As to the silly Frozen Koreans thing. Tests have been done with authentic uniforms from the Korean war soaked in water and frozen that clearly showed the .30 carbine round would punch right through and create a very satisfactory wound channel. Its a myth that the .30 carbine failed as a combat round. Granted it is no replacement for a .308 or 30-06 but then neither is the 5.56.

A good friend of mine let me shoot this last week. It was my first time ever setting eyes upon an AMT .30 Carbine pistol much less shooting one. I got some pictures of the pistol. It was truly a kick in the pants to shoot! I swear the trigger on this thing would give any 1911 a run for it's money. So much fun!!

A_IMG_4991.jpg

A_IMG_4987.jpg

A_IMG_4990.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR