JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let me start by saying if your going to bash the loadmaster please use your hands in another way. I know a lot of people think there presses whether green or blue are better and I for one dont disagree with you, but this thread is only asking about the loadmaster.

I have found a guy on youtube that has a lot of good vids on there he goes by the name of shadowdog500. very helpful videos to watch.

Do any of you that use this press have any upgrades or advice for this press?

I am buying the upgraded primer feeders that came out two years ago and am looking forward to using those and seeing if they help.

I've had a Loadmaster for about15 years, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. If you have mechanical inclinations, you may be able to run it just fine. I have had my share of frustration with the primer system. The new system is much better than the old, but still not without occasional hangups, flipped or omitted primers. I prime .223 by hand now, having gotten totally fed up with 1 in 10 primers being sideways, inverted, or missing. 9mm and .45, different story. I loaded 700 rds. of 9mm lst week without one problem. .45 gives me about 2/100 primer flips, but that is much better than the old system. The case feeder system is part genius/part idiot. The "perfect" powder measure leaks H335 and 2230 badly, even after being returned to Lee for repair. I'm using the Pro Auto Disk double disk for .223 now; no probs.

My take on the Loadmaster is that once you get it set up and running, check screws and nuts for tightness every time you refill the primer tray. The thing just seems to loosen up while running, and having the carrier drawbolt get loose totally screws things up. I think it's a good deal for the price, but you must have patience, grasshopper.

Ran a Loadmaster for 5 years.
I only used it for pistol calibers, and recommend it heartily. I loaded 9, 40 and 45 on it. Once I had mine set up properly I never had a hitch, meaning did not have to adjust anything. Just had to make sure everything was in order before I started. However, I build machines (or used to).

Yes I run a loadmaster, there is some tricks that can help you out in the long run. They are good presses if you set them up right and know what to do to it. I love mine, kinda like the underdog thing with them. They produce good ammo especially the way I like to make it. I can help you out if you need,

I started out on one and used it for about a year and a half and when it worked it worked great. I had about the same number of priming issues with it as I have with my dillon 650 so i really think the problems with the priming system are vastly overstated. the only real problem I had with it was the indexing it showed up with the carrier so far off that it would not even attempt to index it took me quite some time to sort that out.
After that I put away the difference between my component cost and factory ammo cost and swore that the next time it gave me that much trouble I would buy a Dillon.
About 6000 rounds later with small issues only it started giving me trouble and in a moment of weakness i bought the dillon.After getting the Dillon I tore the loadmaster down to get it running before selling it got it back together and inexplicably it ran perfectly for another 500 rounds before I broke it down removed the dies and sold it sans dies for 20 less than I payed for it new with dies(ebay)
I kind of miss the little press although the dillon is nice the Loadmaster was a press worth half as much that cost a quarter the price of the Dillon and saved me enough over waiting to buy a pricier press to pay for itself and its replacment as well and had i not had the money sitting around I would still be happily using it.
I would however recommend the pro 1000 over the loadmaster my dad has been using his since the early 80s with few issues

I wanted to thank ridnjon, he has offered to come to my place with his press and help me set mine up while being able to use his to see how it works with his upgrades, tips, and tricks.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top