JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Feel free to reach out via PM. I'd have a coffee with you and share my experience.

Long story short, I used to recommend the life to young men who were interested. Now, not so much.

Best of luck in your quest. My advice is to talk to lots of people with experience. In person. And ask lots of questions.

:)

-Not a LEO-

Way back in the day. Took the exam for the City of Newton Massachusetts Police Officer (next to Boston), passed flying colors & interviewed etc. Was bumped by someone with civil service points (vet, race, gender... dunno).

At this point in life, I'm glad I didn't go into LE as a career, choosing healthcare instead. But that's just me.

That said it's a tough call directing someone else what they should go back to school to do...just off of interwebs.

Since you do not have a degree, and are considering a degree to advance yourself anyways...start a degree program.

Talk with career counselor folk. As suggested, talk with folk in departments you may be interested in. Learn cutoff ages & such (ie are there specific cutoff ages for academies etc). You could likely get a degree in IT (or a realm of other majors), and still be a decent candidate, especially at the federal level.

How's your fitness?

If you think you could go through any academy, then mayhaps check local departments to see if they have reserve officer slots as an option. Might be one way to get "in" and see the some of the day to day.

I'm currently in Electronics and have been taking courses for Engineering. Just the few computer classes I took I realized I hate coding more than I hate math. So a degree in IT is definitely out the window. I love what I do but that's not enough to support my family. There is so much more potential for growth and possibilities with LE than there is with electronics.

Fitness you ask? Well, not obese or fit either. I'm 5'5" 160lb so I'm right in the middle. One thing I do lack is running. I have never been a good runner even when I was in the military. My 1.5 mile run was constantly around the 15 minute mark. I can sprint like hell though!

Oh.... forgot.

My go to for young men now is the skilled trades.

You want a quick ticket to $100k annually? Journeyman plumber, electrician, HVAC, etc... Also heavy equipment operators are throwing down six figures if you are motivated. Certified welders are also in same pay range.

You can 100% shine and be a rockstar in each other those jobs if you can show up for work; on time, every time, sober.

A motivated squared away young man can crush it in the skilled trades.

Getting rich in LE wont happen. High paying departments are located where the cost of living is also high. But, you can make a comfortable living for your family if you make smart financial decisions.

Its a nasty, ugly job sometimes. If you have the personality for it, it can be a lot of fun. I enjoy a good battle of wits, so I don't mind the idiots with the cameras.

Sometimes you have to do the hard thing, most of the time its not so bad. It will change your perception of people, and if you work where you live, you stop liking where you live as much as you used to.

if you want to make money writing code is the way to go. love it or hate it it is the future.

i have a degree in that but i too hate it but now can afford to retire early. i stay dry and warm every day and can do as i please as long as the work gets done.

Oh.... forgot.

My go to for young men now is the skilled trades.

You want a quick ticket to $100k annually? Journeyman plumber, electrician, HVAC, etc... Also heavy equipment operators are throwing down six figures if you are motivated. Certified welders are also in same pay range.

You can 100% shine and be a rockstar in each other those jobs if you can show up for work; on time, every time, sober.

A motivated squared away young man can crush it in the skilled trades.
You can pick just about any job and be successful with that formula. I run a small business. Getting people to show up much less on time is difficult. If they manage to show up most of the time and make it through a few months, they act like sweeping the floor is beneath them. I have friends with small businesses in my area and they are having the same problems with new hires. Young people don't want to work. Only the old guys are interested in working. Keeping truck drivers is the hardest. Our current driver makes more money than I do, and he's retired. Some days I think it's not worth it.

Am retired after 27 years. Was blessed with a good run and a variety of duties in a very rural dept.

From Sgt, to Detective, forensic tech, crime scene reconstruction, firearms instructor, and teaching firearms at the academy and on the road certifying other LE firearms instructors and teaching a legal Wa State deadly force review.

The down side...more problems with Admin and others of the like who will spare no expense at back stabbing and other maniacal behaviors, while climbing an imaginary ladder of a career which when they think they get "there", whatever their "there" is, turns out to be nothing.

Sometimes rewarding, sometimes the policies, procedures and laws make it hard to do the job...sometimes it feels like a game. Then there's the city council, or county commissioners, and the public.

Make sure all the family is on board with it, don't go it alone. Realize the shift work, and those who've you arrested may spot you in public and make a scene.

Like the offer above, can PM a number and we can discuss if you like.

those who've you arrested may spot you in public and make a scene.

This is a funny one. I have seen people I hooked up the next day at the store... Nothing. Maybe one recognized me. Ever. You know what I mean. What how people interact with a cop. Their eyes are normally on the gun or the badge.

Now I remember my very favorite FTO. Grew up in a small town by our department. Every friggin' shift it seemed we would contact someone he went to high school with...

Yes military experience can help you get hired. If you are really interested go on ride alongside. Cops aren't going to sugar coat it. Also remember there is a HUGE difference in work load between city, county and state cops. There is also differing attitudes as well. Larger departments offer more opportunity and with your background you may have an in for cybercrime or some such. If not and your on with a large department, you have bomb, SWAT, K-9 and the list goes on. Again, ride along, they won't try and recruit you and will give you an honest idea of what to expect.

So you're sayin' my old avatar precludes me from persuing a career as an LEO?

Say it isn't sooooooo!!!! :s0118:

View attachment 440407

:D

Is that Frank Booth from "Blue Velvet"?

59F0593A-B3AA-4937-9C77-8B54F2FAE7E4.jpeg

It's not for everyone, but for some it's everything. I wouldn't trade my job for anything in the world.

Under paid and thankless are made up for 10x over by the fulfilled and rewarded feeling I get from knowing what I'm doing for my community and fellow man. I found my calling.

I'm a former LEO.

The best part was being part of something worthwhile that was bigger than myself, and the comradeship (brotherhood?). The two times I experienced this the strongest were in a combat unit in Vietnam, and in law enforcement. I always knew that whatever happened, someone had my back. I recently heard a statement that exemplifies this: (referring to men in combat) "The love of friends overcomes the fear of death."

The great majority of LE work is simply helping, and protecting, other people. Another quote: "There are three groups of people: sheep, wolves, and watchdogs who protect the former from the latter." LEOs are the watchdogs, and I'm very proud to have been among them.

Max

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top