JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been interested in Law Enforcement for a few years now but haven't really dug into it until recently. I do have a military background but nothing in law/security. Do I really have an advantage over a non-military person? How long is the process? I'm 33 right now and don't want to spend years going through it if my chances are slim. What is life really like? With todays society and their attitudes towards LE would you still have made the same decision to join the force?

I'm no LEO. I used to test for it, but lost interest and don't want to take a pay cut.

Getting hired can take a few times. Of testing and interviews.
You do get extra points above normal citizens for being a Vet.

Be honest! Don't ever lie, even if you think they won't find out or you don't think it's a big deal.
I know people who got black balled from applying because they lied and they found out. It wasn't even for an offense that would have DQ'd them.

In my opinion ( that means nothing) LE work is the same at it's always been, but everyone if filming everything you do.
You have to be overly PC, and think twice about every decision.
Just like the military you'll be condemned by the media and social justice warriors before you ever get questioned about an incident.
You have to be okay with risking going through that. And putting your family through that.

I couldn't ever be a cop. I'd plead the fourth and not let myself into my own house. And then I'd plead the fifth and have to stop talking to myself and though I paid little heed to that little voice, I'd miss it if it were gone.

I did it for 25 years and retired. I wouldn't do it again. And, I would not recommended it to my son.

Course.....if you want to. Then, why not?

But, speak to someone in the Dept. that you want to apply to. See if they have a "ride along program."

Aloha, Mark

I did it for 25 years and retired. I wouldn't do it again. And, I would not recommended it to my son.

Course.....if you want to. Then, why not?

But, speak to someone in the Dept. that you want to apply to. See if they have a "ride along program."

Aloha, Mark

Most LEO's I have known really didn't like their job much. Especially in today's environment.

Most LEO's I have known really didn't like their job much. Especially in today's environment.

Yup. But, it was fun at times. And, we even had choir practice after work.:D

Now a days.:confused: Gotta watch your Ps and Qs even off duty.

Then.....
Cameras are everywhere. People want to have you star in their YouTube Videos. And, some purposely look to bait you. LOL. You're not allowed to have any fun back at/with them. Everyone just seems to expect you to be so serious all of the time.

Hell.....even at the station. Water cooler jokes aren't tolerated anymore. I can remember a Lt. telling me that I should limit myself to only talking about work related subjects. And, no bad mouthing the politicians anymore.:(

Aloha, Mark

Funny thing is that with most agencies social media policies you could get in trouble for your avatar. So concider that before you go down that rabbit hole

So you're sayin' my old avatar precludes me from persuing a career as an LEO?

Say it isn't sooooooo!!!! :s0118:

3415059C-4FBA-4902-99D0-49DCE4453971.jpeg

:D

Last Edited:
Thought of firefighting?

That one is changing fast too. One of my boys was a career firefighter and paramedic in a valley department. You advance by sucking the chief officers azz and playing all kinds of political games. The competence level of the average firefighter has dropped dramatically in the last 10 years. My son is now a paramedic at a hospital and in nursing school.

One of my other sons is a paid firefighter at a small Central Oregon department. At 32 years old, he is a senior firefighter with 15 years experience, and a training officer. He is dealing with interns and newbies that have to take classes to identify simple tools that are commonly used in the fire service. The newbies have to be told specifically what to do even with 2 or 3 years front line experience.

A friend is a retiring LEO with 22 years in. At 52 he is cycling out of training, detectives and has to go back to patrol to finish out. When he was a training officer, the newbies did not like to be yelled at when they f up during training. They did not think he should dip Copenhagen at the range. They sat in the senior officers chairs at briefing. It is a whole new world out there for LEO and FF, and it will take special types to make it in those careers.

Yup. But, it was fun at times. And, we even had choir practice after work.:D

Now a days.:confused: Gotta watch your Ps and Qs even off duty.

Then.....
Cameras are everywhere. People want to have you star in their YouTube Videos. And, some purposely look to bait you. LOL. You're not allowed to have any fun back at/with them. Everyone just seems to expect you to be so serious all of the time.

Hell.....even at the station. Water cooler jokes aren't tolerated anymore. I can remember a Lt. telling me that I should limit myself to only talking about work related subjects. And, no bad mouthing the politicians anymore.:(

Aloha, Mark

Yup, it's gotta be really hard to do the job these days.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs. I wanted an unbiased opinion that's why I came here instead of talking to a recruiter or someone active. The reason for a career change is that I'm near the top pay for my profession without a degree. With a growing family and working schedule it would take at least 8+ years to get a Bachelor degree doing part-time only. Then, after that I would have to start at the bottom again. My goal for pursuing LE is to ultimately be at the Federal level. I understand that to be considered for a Federal position would require a degree of some sort. If I pursue the LEO opportunity now that would jump my annual salary by $10k-$20k and have the time necessary to complete the required degree for a Federal position. In retrospect it's all about taking care of your family, I'll make some sacrifices in order to provide a better life for them. Speaking of family how is your family or kids treated from the community and school knowing that their dad or husband is a cop?

I thought I was retired but on my 32 year in Law Enforcement. I do not work the road anymore but am transporting federal prisoners. I enjoyed my time working the road, mostly, but with the way society has boot strapped law enforcement I would not do it again. If you are interested in it though, and I hope that some good people still are, I would suggest now is the time as many agencies are hurting for help. KOIN news just had an article on how all the local counties are actively recruiting for corrections officers. This is a quicker way to get your foot in the door if you want to work the road, or you could just stay in corrections.

I've been interested in Law Enforcement for a few years now but haven't really dug into it until recently. I do have a military background but nothing in law/security. Do I really have an advantage over a non-military person? How long is the process? I'm 33 right now and don't want to spend years going through it if my chances are slim. What is life really like? With todays society and their attitudes towards LE would you still have made the same decision to join the force?

PM me your phone number and I'd be glad to talk to you about it.

Try it if you like being spit on or having feces thrown at you.

That avatar....Goes so darned perfect with quite a few of your posts. I dig it!

As far s becoming a police officer. I have the utmost respect for the men and women that do the job. I believe that it's a very difficult, and likely dangerous job.

-Not a LEO-

Way back in the day. Took the exam for the City of Newton Massachusetts Police Officer (next to Boston), passed flying colors & interviewed etc. Was bumped by someone with civil service points (vet, race, gender... dunno).

At this point in life, I'm glad I didn't go into LE as a career, choosing healthcare instead. But that's just me.

That said it's a tough call directing someone else what they should go back to school to do...just off of interwebs.

Since you do not have a degree, and are considering a degree to advance yourself anyways...start a degree program.

Talk with career counselor folk. As suggested, talk with folk in departments you may be interested in. Learn cutoff ages & such (ie are there specific cutoff ages for academies etc). You could likely get a degree in IT (or a realm of other majors), and still be a decent candidate, especially at the federal level.

How's your fitness?

If you think you could go through any academy, then mayhaps check local departments to see if they have reserve officer slots as an option. Might be one way to get "in" and see the some of the day to day.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top