JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well....
Maybe.

To tell the truth...I rarely use a mechanical safety.
Finger off the trigger and good muzzle discipline work for me.

And yeah...I know the above ain't gonna make me many friends .
Andy
The best mechanical safety in the world is the WORST replacement for proper Mental Safety!
Other then that, keeping ones Booger Hook off the Bang Switch is also very good and proper wisdom! :s0155:

I never use a mechanical safety for range use, unless the match rules require it. I also follow match rules for clearing or flagging, even when practicing.

For hunting, a safety is a must. I hunt with one in the tube and cocked.

Though there will never be a safety that replaces the brain I think it's un due risk not to have one on a hunting rifle. I have fell when out hunting or had my feet go out from under me. That safety sure gives me a bit of insurance.

It looks like the original safety. Going to have to be replaced for proper scope mounting.
Not necessarily, the 1903 CAN have the safety manipulated when the bolt opened and is drawn full back, simply grasp the cocking knob and pull it a little harder and you can swing the safety on or off! Though it would require opening the bolt each and every time one wished to use the safety, and that isn't a very efficient or practical means of operating those rifles! Still, if one insists on having a functional safety, that at least qualifies as such!

Not necessarily, the 1903 CAN have the safety manipulated when the bolt opened and is drawn full back, simply grasp the cocking knob and pull it a little harder and you can swing the safety on or off! Though it would require opening the bolt each and every time one wished to use the safety, and that isn't a very efficient or practical means of operating those rifles! Still, if one insists on having a functional safety, that at least qualifies as such!
I think a flag safety as I have on.my other 03s is the way to go.

Last Edited:
Speaking only for myself here....

Most of my rifles....don't have a safety.....other than half cock
Some original rifles don't even have that ...the hammer is either in the fired position or at full cock.
So...
I got used to not having or using a safety real quick.
And that practice carries over with my usage of modern firearms as well.
Finger off the trigger and good muzzle discipline.

As for dropping the rifle....
Well...when hunting...it is easy to un-prime or un-cap a rifle....or take the round out of the chamber if the terrain is dangerous.

In any event...
That is what I do..no one else has to do the same or like it.
( To be blunt )
Andy

Edit to add...
Sorry for the thread drift OP.

Last Edited:
Timney makes a great 1903A3 trigger with a safety switch and reasonably priced at $​114.29 listed by Midway USA

Timney Featherweight Deluxe Rifle Trigger Springfield 1903, 1903A3 with Safety 1-1/2 to 4 lb Black

1670127487683.png

Last Edited:
I've never trust a safety on a firearm. Ever since firing old Brazilian FIE guns decades ago. I also knew someone got shot over a safety failure with the same manufacturer.

But I can see its happening; the younger shooters don't know what or how to operate Fudd firearms (just like the 8-track player, pens and a clutch.)

Looks like a "Sporterized " 1903 1903A3 Springfield rifle.
The "On / Off"...is a magazine disconnector ...it will turn the 03 into a single shot rifle.
The safety may have been removed so as to put scope mounts on the rifle....
The safety was located just ahead of the cocking piece / knob.
Andy
We ground a taper on the back of the follower to defeat the 2 position bolt stop.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top