Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any info pro or con on the GSG .22 cal 1911

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by dennisf, Feb 17, 2012.

1. dennisf

dennisf Battleground, Wa Member

I am mildly interested in the GSG .22 call 1911. It looks like a fun gun to have. I am told that the SigSaur is the same gun made by GSG for ATI at a little more cost. I have looked at reviews on YouTube and most of it looks positive.

2. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Guy had a brand new one on the last speed steel match. Awesome looking but had some failures. Probably needs a break in of 500 rounds like my Tactical Solutions conversion did. It sure is a good looking gun.
    Good luck and stay safe,
    Mike

3. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Ive only heard great things about them. On the wish list.....

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

This is a Kimber not a GSG but out of all of my guns (large collection) it is in the top 5 of what gets shot most.

DSC04446.jpg

5. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

The GSG is a great plinker but does need some break in as far as reliability. I just bought another one the other day so the kid doesnt hog mine all the time. Just dont buy the chiappa/charles daily, the GSG is hands down the better. I have the Walther p22 also but prefer the GSG for size.

6. dennisf

dennisf Battleground, Wa Member

I got that GSG 1911 in .22 cal. I really like it and it is fun to shoot. I have put about 300rds thru it and will break it down to look for spots that might need some honing. I notice a little rub spot at the threaded connection on the barrel where it might be rubbing the barrel bushing a little. I looks pretty minimal. If I do take the Arkansas stone to it, what do you use to darken the metal back to the base color?
    I have run 6 types of bulk ammo through it. The Walmart target stuff, Rem, Win, Fed, thunderbolt and haven't had an ammo related problem. The only ftf was my fault for not making sure the ammo was sitting correctly in the magazine and one other time, my partner tried to sneak an extra round in to the magazine. It didn't like that either. I was concerned that it would only run with the good stuff. I don't have any of the good stuff that the benchrest guys use.
    I did notice a looser group and some drop in elevation shooting a mag of the Thunderbolt vs the Federal bulk pack stuff.

7. B1911

B1911 Seattle area Member

My range has one and I shoot it all the time. It looks like it gets lots of use and is holding up fine. A great way to shoot cheap & work on trigger control & flinching (for me).

The only problem was when my 10 year old daughter was using it. It was failing to extract.

However, I think it's an impressive gun. Cheap to buy, cheap to operate.

8. cowboygraphics

cowboygraphics Beaverton, OR Active Member

Had one - loved it - seemed very solid quality and build - zero issues or fails - sold it to a fellow member here.

9. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

The GSG 1911 magazines in particular are the toughest 22 mags I've ever seen. Just well built and solid.

10. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I have one and I love it. Accuracy is great the build quality is pretty good as well. I borught it camping with the family and we ran 1100 rounds through it with only 2 failure to feeds. That is better than my ruger mk1 and any other ruger I have shot. There were a couple failure to fires, however I contribute to the cheap wallmart bulk ammo and not the gun. The only gripe that I have is the trigger. It is horribly heavy and has a decent amount of creep to it. Do not try to shoot bullseye with it, but it is very fun and comfortable to plink with, and everyone loves it.

11. A10Driver

A10Driver Beavercreek, OR New Member

I have the sig model of this gun, I had the guide rod break at about 100 rounds, but the factory replaced it promptly with what appeared to be a better built guide rod. It likely has over 1000 rounds through it and has been a trouble free, nice gun.

12. gryghin

gryghin Beaverton Active Member

I've had the GSG 1911-22 for over a year now. I bought it because it has similar weight and safety to a 1911, so that I can train my kids on with it. This way they are already familiar with the weight and safety mechanisms of my 45. At the end of last summer, I let the two older kids shoot my 45 and they were able to maintain accuracy. Good foundation and technique.