JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Updated with the serial number #453396. Not really wanting to sell it just wanted to know how much he should insurance the gun for

Manufactured Date 1908
Insure it for the dollar amount you have in it. I have a similar situation with an old Remington rolling block sporting rifle that I restored. It was too far gone to have any collector value and I put $2500 into it because it was my great-grandfather's rifle. It's now beautiful and a joy to shoot, and it will NEVER be sold. So it's insured for $2500.

That said, I notice your barrel also says "Nickel Steel" in addition to .30 WCF caliber marking. Rifle manufacturers started using nickel steel around 1905 to make smokeless powder guns. They stamped things like "Nickel Steel" on these guns to designate that they were designed for smokeless powder in a world used to black powder rifles only. This was done for only a few years, while it was still the "new, improved" thing to have. So I'd say your rifle was probably made before 1910 and certainly before 1920.

As most people probably don't completely grasp, the insured is paying for the insurance and as long as there is no fraud taking place, you can insure just about anything for the value you give it. The higher the value, the more the insurance costs. They don't generally ask for proof of value unless something is out of whack.

My 1899 on the right.
100_1247.jpg

As most people probably don't completely grasp, the insured is paying for the insurance and as long as there is no fraud taking place, you can insure just about anything for the value you give it. The higher the value, the more the insurance costs. They don't generally ask for proof of value unless something is out of whack.

Although many insurance corps will debate the value after an item is stolen/damaged, so document it - including the cost of restoration.

He spent $1200 to make a $1200 gun into a $600 gun,IMO.
It does say .30 WCF,which makes it early production.."octagon" barrel no less.
Shame.
I have to disagree.
And if the family is keeping it why would you say that? The guy wanted it to look new again then he should have had it restored like he did.
Anyway I would insure it for the $1200 he put into it.
Beautiful gun and thanks for sharing it with us!

I have to disagree.
And if the family is keeping it why would you say that? The guy wanted it to look new again then he should have had it restored like he did.
Anyway I would insure it for the $1200 he put into it.
Beautiful gun and thanks for sharing it with us!

And I disagree with YOU,because it is now restored,which detracts from REAL WORLD value,regardless of the family attachment.
Family attachment means a lot,and I totally agree that he should keep it.
Never meant to imply it wasnt a cool rifle or worth hanging on to-its just not as valuable as if it were left alone.
And I say insure it for a million dollars if he wants.
Since it's not for sale,what does it even matter what the true value is?
Just insure it for as much as they allow.

I challenge you to find a REAL collector in the REAL world who will pay $1200 for a "restored" Win 94.
Believe me,I have several "restored" guns,and I guarantee you a real collector will never pay top $ for a restore job.

He asked what it is worth,and I voiced my opinion.
What say you now?

And I disagree with YOU,because it is now restored,which detracts from REAL WORLD value,regardless of the family attachment.
Family attachment means a lot,and I totally agree that he should keep it.
Never meant to imply it wasnt a cool rifle or worth hanging on to-its just not as valuable as if it were left alone.
And I say insure it for a million dollars if he wants.
Since it's not for sale,what does it even matter what the true value is?
Just insure it for as much as they allow.

I challenge you to find a REAL collector in the REAL world who will pay $1200 for a "restored" Win 94.
Believe me,I have several "restored" guns,and I guarantee you a real collector will never pay top $ for a restore job.

He asked what it is worth,and I voiced my opinion.
What say you now?
And who GAF if the gun doesn't leave the family?
We're not talking about a gun to be sold,do yo understand that part? So there for it doesn't matter.
It's just funny how every 'expert ' on here has to beat the guy up on how his dad,being a free man,did what HE wanted to do with HIS own gun. Kinda like you should be able to do in America,huh? I don't believe he was asking anyone on here if they thought it was or was t a good idea or not. But everyone has to be the gun "expert" and tell him how stupid they think he was.
Hopefully he's getting a good chuckle out of guys like you:p
Just my opinion though;)

Yea, I'd pay a lot to have an old family heirloom restored.. and damn the resale "value". If it was a "practical" handgun, I'd carry and shoot it too.

I bought a pair of 94 Winchester saddle rings in 25-35 , one a 1906 and one a 1908. I paid 1200 for the original condition one and 400 for the one that had been rebarrelled and reblued. For me it was just a business deal as I have no emotional attachement at all to them and I used the reworking as a bargaining tool. Family heirlooms have memories and family histories that sometimes are worth more than the monetary value. If it's not for sale it doesnt matter anyway

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top