JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A good friend of mine has a beautiful yard which has come under attack by an army of moles :s0114:

His place is well within city limits, so most of the 'fun' options are out. Do you guys have any ideas for dealing with them?

I had the nicest lawn in a mole-infested neighborhood.

A couple cats worked great. Keep 'em hungry, let 'em out at night. Dead mole at the door next to the newspaper almost every morning.:s0155:

we used to dig out their holes and set a trap inside the hole that looked like a small bear trap, then cover the hole with a peice of plywood. it usually didn't take long before you caught one. Maybe a day or two. I have no idea where the trap came from though and I cant find it anymore. But that is an idea if you can find a trap like that

We didn't have any luck with poison or traps at my parents in Eugene. I will say that 3 rds of 7.62 will take care if 'em, and most people don't pay attention to noises, even next door....

I tried to get my dog to find and dig them out. But I think she caught only one of them and I ended up lots of holes dug by the dog in the back yard, the moles moved to the front yard, and a sprained ankle.

Last thing that worked was a poison smoke bomb from the hardware store.

Last edited by a moderator:
we used to dig out their holes and set a trap inside the hole that looked like a small bear trap, then cover the hole with a peice of plywood. it usually didn't take long before you caught one. Maybe a day or two. I have no idea where the trap came from though and I cant find it anymore. But that is an idea if you can find a trap like that

You can find these traps at most granges or hay and feed stores. I wish I lived closer, I'd come over and show you the ropes. I spent an employment stint at a golf course, killed lots of moles, from the easy ones to the little bugger that took three months to nab.

There is a lot of mis-information about moles and how to deal with them. And a lot of money is needlessly spent towards ineffective methods. I won't comment in detail on these.

Trapping is really the only effective method of dealing with these critters. Moles are not gophers, prairie dogs, groundhogs, etc. To understand why that is the case, go here:

http://www.themoleman.com/

The Moleman, although Eastern in perspective, provides the best explanation of the how's and why's. Bottom line: trap 'em and don't putz around with other methods or foolish devices.

In our part of the world, the scissors traps (available at Freddy's and other places for around $10) work best. I also recommend setting several traps at one time to maximize the probability of catching the offenders. You can't just set one trap, smoke a cigarette and expect immediate results.

As a former for-money fur trapper, I can assure you that the methodology is everything when it comes to outsmarting animals by mechanical methods. And it is not as simple as you might think. The "set" is critical. If you don't catch the critter in a night or two, re-do the set or try another hole or run. Do not continue to bet on a losing hand. Fold up and play another. Play the percentages and you will prevail.

There are, since you mentioned it, other and more fun ways of eliminating these pests. These involve rat traps and shotgun shells and other farm methods unsuitable for enlightened urban sensibilities. I can assure you that there is a wonderful sense of gratification when, just after dark, you are cracking your first brewski and you hear a shotgun blast in your front yard.

You also have to be sensitive to the little ones who may be in the neighborhood, a steel trap will nip off a kids fingers. Or worse, if you go playing around with explosives you are only asking for trouble.

My newfie has caught 5 moles, 3 squirrels ( one as it was jumping from a tree to a six foot high fence yes in the air) a water vole (looks like a giant rat) and tree'd 4 coons and run off 2 coyotes. So he has the yard covered. Then i have two cats that get the ones that moved to the front yard.

Matt

Matt

I vote air rifle and the refreshment of your choice. Takes me back to my younger years. Had an infestation of rats almost as large as a cat and would eat my friends dogs dog food. Spent many great nights with my him freeing the neigborhood from the pesky varmits.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top