JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just hoping someone would have an idea on this. I recently acquired a 1999 Chevy Metro (free) and it has been running ok but last night I went to start it and the engine cranks but would not start and the "kicker" here is the cluster lights would not come on but all other electrical works - and I suspect that means something. All help will be appreciated.

When you say "cluster lights" do you mean the idiot lights, check engine etc? Or do you mean the instrument/dash lights.
If your idiot lights aren't coming on you may have blown the fuse for the engine management/F.I. computer.

AT any rate, the fuse panel is the place to start. There may be two of them also. One fuse panel in the interior and one fuse box under the hood.

Yes - I was installing a new stereo in it last night and the ignition wire was dead so I located the fuse box under the dash and discovered the switched ignition wire fuse blown so.......thinking the the bank of four fuses to the right were in blank holes as spares i pulled one and stuck it in the ignition wire slot and because I did not try to start the car until later I did not make the connection until this morning when I stuck my head further under the dash and saw metal in the blade slots of what I thought were storage slots. If I had the owner's manual this would have never happened.

Just hoping someone would have an idea on this. I recently acquired a 1999 Chevy Metro (free) and it has been running ok but last night I went to start it and the engine cranks but would not start and the "kicker" here is the cluster lights would not come on but all other electrical works - and I suspect that means something. All help will be appreciated.
Check the expiration date stamped on the door frame. Disposable car ya know!. Greydog.

Yeah, glad it was solved. My first thought was relay or fuse. Just repaired a 626 the other day that had a leaky engine side fuse panel and all of the major fused relays were corroded to grainy pulp.

Anytime you install a new stereo, disconnect the battery first. My friend didn't unhook the ground on his battery and killed the door buzzer fuse in his saturn, that was also the security system fuse; car wouldn't start. Just like the scenario you just described. Took us a while to get it all figured out. Good thing my dad is a mechanic.

Yes - I was installing a new stereo in it last night and the ignition wire was dead so I located the fuse box under the dash and discovered the switched ignition wire fuse blown so.......thinking the the bank of four fuses to the right were in blank holes as spares i pulled one and stuck it in the ignition wire slot and because I did not try to start the car until later I did not make the connection until this morning

I have seen this scenario so many times it is not funny.
Bring a rig into the shop because something does not work.
The first place I check is the fuse panel that has a large sticker with all the fuse and relay locations.
I find that the problem circuit has a missing fuse.
Ask driver if he has been robbing fuses and they usually fess up that the radio fuse blew and they just grabbed one.

$107 an hr labor rate, 25 cent fuse.

Guys have had their rig and trailer towed in because they robbed the engine ECU fuse and the truck would not start.
That's a $1,000 25 amp fuse.

Talk about not making the connection.

Anytime you install a new stereo, disconnect the battery first.

Anytime you are messing with any electrical components you should get in the habit of removing the NEG cable before you do anything.
The 2 minutes you try to save by not doing so can cost you hrs later.

The ground terminal probably needs cleaned anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top