Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any good gunsmiths west of Portland?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by theflyguy, Aug 24, 2009.

1. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

Had to replace my barrel in my Colt 1911. Ordered the new barrel, pin and barrel link from Midway USA. Assembled the parts and took the gun out yesterday to shoot. Nearly every round jammed!!!

Looks like the throat or feed area from the clip to the chamber was not widen enough to allow the bullet/shell feed into the chamber.

I even had a few rounds that would not "fit" into the chamber.

So I'm looking for a good gunsmith that can help solve this issue.

Thanks,

2. jagerMR

jagerMR Hillsboro Member

Mike @ Tornado Technologies

http://tornado-technologies.com/

3. theflyguy

After looking at their website, it looks like all they do is threading barrels. Do you happen to know if they work on chambing or feed throats?

4. svg4

svg4 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I know you said west of Portland, but it might be worth the drive to John Semm on Lombard off I-5. I live on the west side, but it only takes minutes to get to his shop. Shooter's Service. 503-289-1280. I would call first. He is a real nice guy.

5. theflyguy

I can give John a call...don't mind driving a little to get/find a good gunsmith, was just hoping to find someone over on the westside.

Only thing that concerns me is the comments that he doesn't have or maintain regular hours.

Guess I'd have to call each time to dropoff/pickup just to see if he was open.

What kind of work did you have done and were you happy with the price and workmenship????

:cool:

6. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I have had some work done at Al's Gun Shop in Forest Grove. They did right by me. My work was just a couple of trigger jobs. One on a M70 Winchester bolt action and the other on a SA 1911. You might give them a call.

7. theflyguy

Well at least this give me a start on a few places to contact.

I was so disappointed when I fired the 1911, so I'm hoping whoever does the repair job fixes it once and for all.

8. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Hey, that's right near my school! I think I'll pop in sometime this weekend and see if he can widen the mag well on my CZ.

9. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

10. Reco

Reco Portland Oregon Active Member

Ya I use Rogers service all the time hes very experienced and quality oriented Gun Smith