Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any good coyote hunting near Sandy or the North Coast? (OR)

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by FoxStang, Mar 21, 2015.

1. FoxStang

FoxStang SE Portland New Member

I live in Portland but I make it out to Sandy fairly frequently, and I'm looking for somewhere I can post up on my weekends, do a little camping, and hopefully decrease the local dog population. Any area-specific tips are greatly appreciated.

I also frequent the coast (Newport to Astoria) for vacationing and areas in the Tillamook State Forest for target shooting. If anyone knows a decent less-traveled spot out that way I'd be equally grateful.

Thank you!

2. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

Coyotes can be found just about any where, just look for places that you can legally shoot,I like to stay in the timber they come in close and fast so a shotgun or rifle with a red dot sight.

FoxStang likes this.
  3. FoxStang

Thanks, I'll pick up some maps and keep my eyes open for decent spots next time I'm out.

4. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

Coyotes tend to live where there are lots of animals to eat. So places with good rodent populations ( ground squirrels, rabbits ) are usually hotspots.

Livestock predation can also be a problem, especially for sheep. If any of the areas that you frequent have a sheep ranchers association, or a livestock owners association, they would be worth contacting. You might get some leads on ranchers that would welcome giving you access.

Perhaps also looking to the south in the Willamette Valley for access from ranchers would be worthwhile. Also , would the Maupin area be too far east for you to drive? You could probably find some action around there.

FoxStang likes this.
  5. FoxStang

I'll keep those in mind, thanks. I wouldn't be against Maupin if the getting is good

6. Blowgunner

Blowgunner Tanasbourne Active Member

A little farther than you're looking for but I see lots of them in the white river unit. Had a pack come pretty close to my truck one night while I was sleeping in the bed. Had my .45 in the bag with me, but it was so damn cold, I decided to just stay there haha.

FoxStang likes this.
  7. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

There's actually a lot of coyote active right in the fringes of Hillsboro. Saw one yesterday running from a gnawed-up kitty on Evergreen.

Maybe post up in one of the larger parks around dawn, when no one is around. Bring something quiet like a bow or airgun?

FoxStang likes this.
  8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

... or a SUPPRESSOR! ;)

9. FoxStang

Just got my Octane .45 finally, and I've almost got all the parts for a 300BLK upper... Toss some subsonic loads in there and it's a possibility ;)

Stomper likes this.
  10. Blowgunner

Where in SE are you? I'm in SE as well and a couple buddies and I have been wanting to plan a pistol only Yote hunt.

11. FoxStang

Not too far off 122nd and Division

12. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

I believe it is legal to bait Yotes in Oregon and Washington.

Anyone know for sure? It's a hunting traditions to set up on the gutpile the morning after.

FoxStang likes this.
  13. Blowgunner

Super close to us. Next time I know a date we're heading out, I'll shoot you a PM.

14. FoxStang

Awesome, I hope I can make it

Blowgunner likes this.
  15. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

I've got my .357 sig all done it would make a good coyote pistol.

Blowgunner likes this.
  16. sjoobbani

sjoobbani Hillsboro New Member

I'm in Hillsboro, and trying to get into huntin em. Can you let me know where y'all go?