JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in Portland but I make it out to Sandy fairly frequently, and I'm looking for somewhere I can post up on my weekends, do a little camping, and hopefully decrease the local dog population. Any area-specific tips are greatly appreciated.

I also frequent the coast (Newport to Astoria) for vacationing and areas in the Tillamook State Forest for target shooting. If anyone knows a decent less-traveled spot out that way I'd be equally grateful.

Thank you!

Coyotes can be found just about any where, just look for places that you can legally shoot,I like to stay in the timber they come in close and fast so a shotgun or rifle with a red dot sight.

Coyotes can be found just about any where, just look for places that you can legally shoot,I like to stay in the timber they come in close and fast so a shotgun or rifle with a red dot sight.

Thanks, I'll pick up some maps and keep my eyes open for decent spots next time I'm out.

Thanks, I'll pick up some maps and keep my eyes open for decent spots next time I'm out.

Coyotes tend to live where there are lots of animals to eat. So places with good rodent populations ( ground squirrels, rabbits ) are usually hotspots.

Livestock predation can also be a problem, especially for sheep. If any of the areas that you frequent have a sheep ranchers association, or a livestock owners association, they would be worth contacting. You might get some leads on ranchers that would welcome giving you access.

Perhaps also looking to the south in the Willamette Valley for access from ranchers would be worthwhile. Also , would the Maupin area be too far east for you to drive? You could probably find some action around there.

Coyotes tend to live where there are lots of animals to eat. So places with good rodent populations ( ground squirrels, rabbits ) are usually hotspots.

Livestock predation can also be a problem, especially for sheep. If any of the areas that you frequent have a sheep ranchers association, or a livestock owners association, they would be worth contacting. You might get some leads on ranchers that would welcome giving you access.

Perhaps also looking to the south in the Willamette Valley for access from ranchers would be worthwhile. Also , would the Maupin area be too far east for you to drive? You could probably find some action around there.

I'll keep those in mind, thanks. I wouldn't be against Maupin if the getting is good

A little farther than you're looking for but I see lots of them in the white river unit. Had a pack come pretty close to my truck one night while I was sleeping in the bed. Had my .45 in the bag with me, but it was so damn cold, I decided to just stay there haha.

There's actually a lot of coyote active right in the fringes of Hillsboro. Saw one yesterday running from a gnawed-up kitty on Evergreen.

Maybe post up in one of the larger parks around dawn, when no one is around. Bring something quiet like a bow or airgun?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top