JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Parable of the Sower and also Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler are very good stories of a society in collapse and various survival strategies. It had the added bonus of, after reading them, my wife suddenly liked my firearms a lot more!

I read these when I was young, very good for kids:

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
My side of the mountan by Jean Craighead George

I read these later:

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Patriots: surviving the comming collapse by James Wesley, Rawles
Lights out- E-book you can read it online for free

Non-fiction
Emergency: This book will save your life by Neil Strauss
The Long Emergency by James Howard Kunstler- book about Peak Oil
The Way of the Scout by Tom Brown

I would add One Second After. Patriots has a lot of information but is not written well and in many ways is unrealistic (too much time elapses before the group goes to meet others, they survive a ridiculous amount of time on the food in the basement) and has a particular political slant that not everyone will agree with. One Second After is very well written, the characters are well developed and I think the situation as described is much more accurate as to what could happen in many different scenarios, not just EMP.

I remember reading Lucifers Hammer back in the early eighties... might be time to give it another go. :cool:

The "Enemies" series are good reads too. :s0155:

Enemies Foreign and Domestic Web Site

I read the first one and liked it a lot. I was told the other 2 sukked, so I never bothered.
Are they any good?

I read Lucifer's Hammer and didn't like it. It was way too boring.
The dude surfing the tidal wave through LA and the Cannibal Army (formed 5 minutes after Hammerfall)were kinda silly.

I read Lucifer's Hammer and didn't like it. It was way too boring.
The dude surfing the tidal wave through LA and the Cannibal Army (formed 5 minutes after Hammerfall)were kinda silly.

I re-read it every few years. Basing the weirdest people in SoCal makes it more difficult for some of us to relate too, but likely isn't so nuts to those who live or have lived there :cool: There were some serious liberties taken with characters to get them established, but tell the people of New Orleans about how silly it seems to them...or would have been if they had not received (some) help within days of the "event". I think the longer-term situations the people had to deal with where quite interesting and potentially realistic. I particularily liked how the Senator established his version of "order and civilization". Kind of gives you some things to ponder... and consider how "valuable" you would be considered in similar circumstances. My wife and I have gone so far as to consider who we would "let in" if something that bad were going on... and have already made the tough decision regarding a couple of our own children!

The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence
by Gavin de Becker

Not so much a story, but deals with everyday situations we all encounter and how to listen to your instincts. Also goes into how to identify/handle problem people and situations to avoid.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top