JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had some Kershaws over the years and they've been pretty good knives.
I'm looking for an automatic for a spare edc carry and the Launch 1 looks like a good choice. However most reviews are from folks who just repeat the company line and it would be good to get some real feedback.

I edc a Benchmade CLA and it's been outstanding, but I recently sent it in for tuning and sharpening and realized I could use a spare.
I have other knives but only the one auto.
I'm have arthritis and my hands and fingers don't work so well anymore which is why I went to an automatic. So I was hoping for some feedback from you folks.

I'm also on a budget and the Launch 1 fits that criteria, so what say you?

Quality blade(cpm154) and hardware.
Fast enough
Firing button is low profile enough to not accidentally engage when clipped on a pocket or waistband.
Made in the United States of America.
Top notch fit and finish.

One gripe: the finish, while nicely done, is not textured at all. I'll probably end up adding some grip tape.

I had the Launch 6 or 7 for a minute approximately 4 years ago, I had read online that some folks were having a problem the blade wasn't locking open after firing it. So I knew it was a possibility.
Unfortunately mine did the same. The best way I could describe the problem (as I remember it)

The blade would fire quickly, fully open and bounce off the blade stop before the lock would engage.
So maybe 2 out of ten times I fired it, it wouldn't be locked open.

I had the Launch 6 or 7 for a minute approximately 4 years ago, I had read online that some folks were having a problem the blade wasn't locking open after firing it. So I knew it was a possibility.
Unfortunately mine did the same. The best way I could describe the problem (as I remember it)

The blade would fire quickly, fully open and bounce off the blade stop before the lock would engage.
So maybe 2 out of ten times I fired it, it wouldn't be locked open.
I have had the opposite with my Kershaw assisted openers, the safety catch gets flicked off, or breaks and the Blades can open in your pocket, last one got me 4 stitches in the leg for my troubles! Went back to ether my CRKT or Gerber's!

I have had the opposite with my Kershaw assisted openers, the safety catch gets flicked off, or breaks and the Blades can open in your pocket, last one got me 4 stitches in the leg for my troubles! Went back to ether my CRKT or Gerber's!
Yeah , I had that happen with a ProTech TR series, mine doesn't have a lock to keep it in the closed position and of course without my knowledge or authorization it deployed. I noticed it while reaching in my pocket.
I started carrying the Microtech after that, safest knife ever.

I have a Launch 2 as well as a Launch 8. They both work well and I have had no problem with them. The Launch 8 is better than I had thought. It is the only true stiletto that has the ability to cut efficiently (no "safe queen" here).

1596123297346.png

I approve of them.

I'm looking for an automatic for a spare edc carry and the Launch 1 looks like a good choice. However most reviews are from folks who just repeat the company line and it would be good to get some real feedback.

I edc a Benchmade CLA and it's been outstanding, but I recently sent it in for tuning and sharpening and realized I could use a spare.
I'm have arthritis and my hands and fingers don't work so well anymore which is why I went to an automatic. So I was hoping for some feedback from you folks.

Avoid the Launch 2. It fails to fully fire sometimes. I own a couple, and the 2 was an anomaly. Unfortunately my first automatic knife. I have a launch 6 which is a great knife.. I love the look of the launch 8 myself, as well.

I guess it must be the "luck for the draw". My Launch 2 consistently functions well.
Indeed. I heard some scuttlebutt that mine's problem is known and effects some.. I also have met a person who had the same problem with a launch 2. When mine does snap in, it is more of a slow down and a barely audible click, than the authoritative snap like on the 6

A late response, but for posterity I had a Launch 1 that opened in my pocket several times, the last time I reached in and cut a big flap into the side of my thumb. Good news is it takes such a sharp edge that I was able to glue/tape it at home and healed without a scar.

I have an old kershaw Launch marked 7200 on the back of the blade near the made in the USA, cpm 154 steel.
It fires ok and locks up everytime, and the shape is nice, but the pocket clip is so tight, I never carry it on me.

I have a converted Boker top lock with 440 blade that I carry in a belt sheath, and I use it a whole lot more, and a few others that I like, but don't want to lose like the Microtec L-UDT with Elmax steel, but I set my knives down while working and sometimes it takes me a while to find them again if ever.
That being said, I have a few Ganzo autos with blaze orange scales, and they are inexpensive enough to lose, and unexplainably, I don't lose them.

Got a launch 7. Only problem I've had is the pocket clip came loose a couple of times. Like it.
Exactly! After they loosened up twice on mine I locktited them in place. Haven't had a problem since.

It takes a specific way of holding the Launch 7 to be able to push the release button and not have the sucker fly out of your hand when the blade swings out and locks in place! Always fires and locks. It's been clipped in my pocket every day for over two years. If I lost it I would buy another like it.
Kershaw closed.jpg Kershaw open.jpg

I have a Chinese one that you can have for $20. I also have a more convention switchblade too. Same money. They just sit in a drawer waiting for me to stab someone.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews