JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did a quick trip to scout IRONSIDE MTN in the Beulah Unit for deer yesterday.
This is SE of Unity, between Forest Service and BLM land.

First impressions:
1) Steep!!!
2) Good amount of older fire activity (15-20 year old Pine plantations near the base)

I'm looking for any intel on this area............any experiences hunting near here?:huh:

The last time I was out that way I remember that the elk RAN at the first sight of a hunter and the bucks were pretty spread out. Haven't been out that way much in recent years though. Can't remember how far that is from Summit Creek/ Idaho Creek area? Lots of good hills & holes to poke around in on that side of the highway. ...on 2nd thought, that might be in a different unit than yours. :(

Only experience I've got there is when my truck blew two tires on the road between Ironside and Beulah Resovoir, and I had to walk the sixteen miles in flipflops and shorts without water till I hit the valley. Yeah, definitely a big, big learning experience.

Anyway, probably some good ones down in those steep draws.

Now that I'm back home and rested, the steep ground that I saw on my scouting trip last Monday doesn't seem so daunting.
BUT, we're talking 30 to 100% slopes here! Pre-scouting using Google Earth makes you feel like you could flit about like a birdy on those slopes.

Confidence in my short, little stick-legs has faded a bit after a horrible summer dealing with a rambunctious Sciatic nerve.
Still, as the days get shorter and the shadows longer, I feel that "need" to make the big-hunt.

What's motivating me now is taking my 31 year old son to a place that we won't have much or any competition and the chances are better to score a nice buck.......Plus, to be honest with you, it warms the ol' man's heart when I hear him whimpering about how tough it is.

Here are some positives:

*** Fewer hunters
*** More predictable diurnal air flow patterns
*** Concentrated trails
*** Bigger bucks.....maybe

Any more experiences with this area?

Any tips-tricks for hunting Muleys on steep ground?

Thanks for your time.

My son, Tyler and I, are headed for Ironside Mtn and Sheephead Mtn tomorrow morning. We're hoping to get in an evening hunt on Sheephead Mtn and then hit the slopes of Ironside Saturday Morning.

Tyler is flying out Monday to photograph rock climbers in Zion National Park.
So....we have 2 days to get some meat for my carnivorous son.

Hope to post some pics here when we return.

Good luck to all those folks out beating the brush this weekend!

Any tips-tricks for hunting Muleys on steep ground?

I hunt Hells Canyon every year for deer and its the same type of terrain. We cover about 3-4k vertical feet everyday. This is what I would recommend for steep terrain
1) Very good hiking boots & thick socks (I use wool).. break them in before you go. Recommend carrying extra pair of socks
2) Lots of water/gatorade. I carry 4 liters of water in my pack (two camel-backs)
3) A comfortable pack or pack frame that is broken in/adjusted before you get there. (I personally use an internal frame pack from Eberlestock)
4) Be in shape. Run, walk with a pack, or whatever it takes for you to be in shape. I have cousins and uncles from the valley that suck air because its 5000 ft higher up then they are used to.
5) Use the absolute best glass you can afford. The big muley's are smart and know how to sit/stand/position themselves so they blend in. Took us 30 minutes to pick out a 6pt this year out of a 400 x 500 yd area and we knew he was in there. hahaha

I know this is a little late and I hope you had a great hunt.

Thanks much for your tips.

My son and I had a great 3 days together over on-near Ironside Mtn. He had a very small window to hunt this year but we made the most of it.
No bucks but quite a few does & fawns. We stayed off the really steep stuff due to the lingering memories of blowing out my disc and sciatic nerve problems. Still, my confidence rose quite a few clicks. I have to remind myself that I'm 61 and "The Boy" is 31......even so my mind plays tricks on me. My 37 years as a timber cruiser can evaporate faster than I'd like to believe when you get injured.

I'm headed back on Mt. Hood to hunt blacktails this week.

Here's to a great safe and successful hunt to all!!! :s0155:

I hear you about the injures. We hunt in pairs when we are out for that very reason. A successful hunt usually means we made it back to camp the same day we left. :) Glad you had a great time with "the boy" :) Good luck this weekend hope you have a great hunt!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top