Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any DRRC USPSA Shooters here?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 308, Mar 6, 2016.

1. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

I went out to DRRC on Saturday and there was a USPSA event going on. It looked like a blast and I'm hoping to give it a try next month.

Any advice for a n00b such as holster and mag carrier. Will be shooting my G-34.
    Thanks.

target-swinger.gif
    http://www.douglasridge.org/ipsc_disp.htm

RicInOR likes this.
  2. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

I didn't go this month, but I went in February. It was my first time and it was a blast.
    I use a Glock 17 and a Blade Tech holster. I also use BladeTech mag carriers.
    People there are very helpful for new shooters. When you are squaded, just let them know you are new and they will put you last or near last so you can watch others shoot first. If you go to USPSA.org you can read all the rules.
    Just go and have a great time!

308 and EVILZ like this.
  3. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

How many mags did you carry? I spoke with the gentleman who runs it and he was very encouraging.

4. mcfoto

mcfoto Newberg Active Member

I run four on my belt and the first in my pocket. There's a sixth in my range bag in case of failure. Production (which I assume you'll start with the G-34) limits you to 10 rounds a mag. Since you're allowed one in the chamber, I load the pocket one with 11 so I'm legal at make ready.

Your first order of business is to contact the match director at DRRC and figure out what there new shooter orientation involves. At Dundee, they had me go through the safety manual and do a live-fire safety check before showing up for my first match.

PiratePast40 and 308 like this.
  5. NWGlockgal

I also carry four on belt, with 11 in the first as mcfoto mentioned and carried in pocket.
    So a total of five.

You don't take a orientation at DRRC, but there is an online test you have to read through and take. Straight forward and doesn't take long. Just answer the questions, print it out, and take it with you to the first match. If you compete later at Dundee, your competition at DRRC count's as the "orientation" and you don't need to take the orientation/live fire event. At least that is what happened with me, but I would check with Dundee first if you want to do their match.

Definitely check out the USPSA section on the DRRC website as well as rules etc at the USPSA website. I would also suggest contacting the match director at DRRC before your first match.

http://www.douglasridge.org/ipsc_disp.htm

http://douglasridge.org/uspsa_safety_manual.pdf

https://www.uspsa.org

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  6. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Are these events open for the public to come in a WATCH? With a place to sit and watch? Or?

7. NWGlockgal

I believe you can go and watch. They leave the gate open for matches so you can enter without a gate code. If you want to sit, I would bring a portable chair. However, there are several stages set up and you would have to be moving around. I find it easier to stand. I would contact the match director at DRRC first though to make sure it's okay. I am assuming it would be fine because they encourage people to come. Why not just come an compete rather than watch? :):D:p

RicInOR likes this.
  8. Mikej

Well, if I saw that the folks participating in these events were terribly poor shots maybe I would!

9. mcfoto

If you've never been to a match, it might be a good idea to go observe one first. I did and helped me understand the context of the lingo in the safety manual. It's not really a "sit in the bleachers" sport. You'll want to move in between stages and observe different teams and how they approach the coarse. The match I observed was a regional so I got the full match experience. The monthly club matches are a little more low key.

Note: It probably goes without saying, but you need your eye and ear protection even if you just observe.

10. Mikej

Indeed!

11. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Mike;
    I was there, I would have been last, but was DQ'd at my fifth stage

308;
    I used my 1911 with two 10 round magazines. Three 7 round mags would work also.

For those shooting with a 30 round mag, several stages mandate mag changes.

12. mcfoto

I haven't DQ'ed yet (just jinxed myself) but have come in dead last several times. Safety over time is my mantra but time really costs you in the scoring. And I'm far from a dead-eye shooter. But I have squaded with the overall winner of the match and have gotten nothing but encouragement from the better shooters.

rick benjamin likes this.
  13. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

14. Mikej

How do you DQ?

15. RicInOR

@308

My advice for new to a sport goes like this

1. Shoot - watching is not the same as doing
    2. Do not over think it
    3. Run what you got - if it is legal for the sport, or if not perhaps they offer a not for score / competition division
    4. Bring more - more bullets especially - they can live in your rig and you can get them if needed. More food, water, rain gear etc. - leave most of this in your rig until needed.

Have Fun.

AFTER you have done a match or 2, you will start to see better what if anything you need to update/change.

Most competitors want you to succeed and will help / answer questions / show off their gear / explain why they made their choices and generally talk smak about your Glock fan-boy status.

Most of us have older gear we tried and no longer use, which might be available for good competitors at used gear prices.

I am sure this applies to any shooting sport.

If someone has never done any competitive shooting, I recommend 2 to get your feet wet
    1. GSSF - Glock - hey you can win a gun!
    2. Steel - Speed Steel / Steel Challenge etc.

PiratePast40 likes this.
  16. RicInOR

@Mikej
    A Disqualification at any shooting sport can happen for a number of reasons.
    1. You do something unsafe, like drop a gun.
    2. They find our your equipment does not meet the standards for the sport.
    3. You do something stupid, like get in the face of a Range Officer.

The important thing is how you come back from this - you either learn or ....

True Story:
    A certain person who identified as former military had what he thought was a squib
    stopped, pulled the mag, ejected the round then looked down the barrel, from the muzzle end.

17. mcfoto

18. mcfoto

All of this response was right on but these two points particularly. Dundee recommends 200 rounds. I now bring 300. There are lots of Comstock stages and as a new shooter, you'll go through ammo trying to knock down steel. Nothing worse than having to budget shots in the last couple of stages so you can complete the match.

And if you aren't having fun, you need to be doing something else.

19. NWGlockgal

Not to worry. There are some very very good shooters, some who have almost no experience with firearms, but most people fall somewhere in between. I don't excel at this type of competition, I go to have fun and learn. I'm not competing against anyone but myself :)

RicInOR likes this.
  20. NWGlockgal

Every DQ I have seen has been from breaking the 180 with the muzzle.
    At TriCounty I have seen people DQ'd for pointing the muzzle above the berm,
    and on Sunday at speed steel someone was DQ'd for a ND.

RicInOR likes this.